MIP is highly unstable and crashes both DCS and Windows unless connected in a very specific way

Gorn557

Hello all:

I finally got my MIP a few weeks ago and I have to say, it is extraordinarily unstable. I have long had a bunch of flight sim-related peripherals connected to my PC and never had any issue with any of them. The MIP is an entirely different animal.

If I connect the MIP to my PC before boot, either via a powered hub or individually, about 3/4 of the time my PC will fail to boot, citing a watchdog clock timeout. So I have to have the MIP unplugged just to boot (it actually does this in Windows 10 and 11, I reinstalled the OS just to be sure).

Then, once in Windows, I have a whole new set of problems. If I have SimAppPro running and try to launch DCS in VR, it crashes, so I can't have SimAppPro open at all. 

Then, if I have the MIP plugged in at all, DCS will also crash, VR or not.

The ONLY way I can not crash both my PC and DCS is to hotplug the MIP after launching DCS. Otherwise, either Windows or DCS will crash. If I do it this way, the MIP works.

So does the MIP work? Yeah... kind of, I guess... but I would never ever recommend it to anyone under these circumstances. 

I have yet to have anyone recommend useful troubleshooting for this sort of problem beyond "make sure your drivers are updated" (they are), but I'd love to be proven wrong! I'll add that I've uninstalled and done clean reinstalls of both Windows and DCS. There's literally nothing on the PC right now except DCS (and SimAppPro). Anyone have any idea what might be going on here? 

i do not share these problems ... have you raised a support case with Winwing?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

4 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i do not share these problems ... have you raised a support case with Winwing?

Yes. Ironically, they told me to make sure my drivers were updated. That's why I thought I'd try here. 

I've had tech support people telling me that for various issues since the DOS days, and it has yet to actually be the cause of a problem in my experience. 

Your the first, so I'd be looking at you system before blaming the MIP

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

It appears very much like you have some inherent instability in your system.

Many users use the MIP trouble free, so, without try to sound dismissive, I’d take a good hard look at everything in you system. Make sure you have enough power to drive everything, try running in 2D instead of VR, remove unrelated peripherals & close background software, etc etc. Anything you can to narrow down the problem.

Edited by norman99

16 hours ago, MustangSally said:

Your the first, so I'd be looking at you system before blaming the MIP

My computer is working fine.

I plug in thing X from a company. 

Now my computer doesn't even start. I ask for help on the thing I spent nearly $1000 on. And I'm "blaming" the manufacturer?

And it's certainly not true to claim no one anywhere has ever had a problem with MIP (just take a gander at r/hotas for example). 

Edited by Gorn557

• 2 weeks later...

Mine works fine…….

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.