Issues with waypoints changing mid-flight

AhSoul

I'm trying to complete the 1st mission of the 'Wrath of Thunder' campaign, but it seems to bug out after the part where you attack the group of Hinds. Once I do that I try and return to my CAP but the waypoints have moved. I check the kneeboard and it's saying it's now using an F-10 data cartridge created in multiplayer!.

I reselect the mission cartridge (0), remove and reload, but my waypoints are still screwed up. Nothing else scripted in the mission then seems to work and I eventually return home to a draw.

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 2:38 PM, AhSoul said:

I check the kneeboard and it's saying it's now using an F-10 data cartridge created in multiplayer!

Any chance you're accidentally cycling to another cartridge with a stray keybind?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, AhSoul said:

Hmmm wouldn't you still need to remove/reinsert the data cart, and do a load in the CK as well for that to affect the mission?

The kneeboard will change instantly.  The jet's data will change when you load 9099. No need to actually replace the cartridge though, it magically aquires the new data. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

4 hours ago, Machalot said:

The kneeboard will change instantly.  The jet's data will change when you load 9099. No need to actually replace the cartridge though, it magically aquires the new data. 

But my problem is that during the flight the waypoints in the computer seem to just change. Which could only happen if the kneeboard cartridge changed, and I loaded it in using 9099, and I'm definitely not doing the load part even if I've got some weird bind that's changing the selected cart.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

What leads you to conclude they changed in the jet? Did the LOLA values change? Or are they the same LOLA but they have apparently moved to a different place on the Earth? 

I tried it again tonight. Turns out I did have something else bound to changing the selected cart, so I fixed that.

But it didn't fix the issue - and didn't expect it to since at no point am I reloading the cart.

• Took off and flew to B2 (start of CAP)
  • Flew to B3 (end of CAP)
  • Re-select B2 and head back
  • Call comes to attack the helos
  • Attack those and get the comms that I have successfully repelled them
  • Almost immediately B2 jumps to be pointing somewhere else (the yellow marker on the HSI moves without me doing anything)
  • Fly there and B3 is even further down the river. It's almost like both points have translated
  • Fly between them for a bit anyway and no more scripted stuff happens
  • Figure maybe I need to kill the remaining 2 helos that are returning to base so go after them
  • Kill them and as I turn round to head back to B2, B2 changes again and points off somewhere else
  • Again it's like B2 and B3 have translated
  • At no point does it feel like any more scripted actions occur and the mission is 'stuck'

Didn't think to compare the actual LOLA values - that's a good point @Machalot will give that a try tomorrow. Have attached a track but not sure if it works. I tried it sped up and it just taxis me into the grass 😄

ViggenBug.trk

Edited by AhSoul

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

Are you doing a nav fix intentionally or by accident when these big jumps in the waypoint locations happen? 

Edited by Machalot

9 hours ago, Machalot said:

Are you doing a nav fix intentionally or by accident when these big jumps in the waypoint locations happen? 

I'm definitely not doing anything deliberate. I'm not touching anything in the cockpit that I can think of. I finished attacking the helos, start turning back towards B2 and it moves.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

Gave it another go this evening. Interestingly this time the waypoints stayed in the right places. The only thing I can think of that I did different was not trying to use the radar lock in A/A guns/missiles mode. Maybe the TV button is trying to do a waypoint fix or something.

However the mission still doesn't progress properly. I get a few radio calls about transports coming in, then nothing. I fly back and forth along the CAP route a few times, but nothing happens.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread

18 minutes ago, AhSoul said:

The only thing I can think of that I did different was not trying to use the radar lock in A/A guns/missiles mode. Maybe the TV button is trying to do a waypoint fix or something.

Are you pressing T0 or T1 once done (before exiting A/A mode), or using one of the binds that resets to T0 on release? If not it could still be considering you as pressing TV which will do a nav/radar fix.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AhSoul said:

Gave it another go this evening. Interestingly this time the waypoints stayed in the right places. The only thing I can think of that I did different was not trying to use the radar lock in A/A guns/missiles mode. Maybe the TV button is trying to do a waypoint fix or something.

However the mission still doesn't progress properly. I get a few radio calls about transports coming in, then nothing. I fly back and forth along the CAP route a few times, but nothing happens.....

If you are using A/A radar lock with T1, you need to clear it to T0 when you exit A/A mode.  This has bit me a few times.  Basically pressing the "T1 Fix" keybind [not "T1 Fix (Two-stage trigger middle position)"] sets and holds the T1 state as if the pilot is holding the radar trigger at the first detent.  What this means is that when you exit A/A mode, he is still holding that trigger and it initiates whatever action T1 does in the new mode, usually a NAV fix.  This is probably what's happening.  Make sure to clear the T1 state back to T0 (so the pilot releases the radar trigger) before or immediately after exiting A/A mode.

I'll also add that when you have an accidental NAV fix like you're seeing, you should be able to revert it by using the RENSA button once on the CK37.  Don't press it a second time or you'll clear all the past fixes too.

Thanks everyone - sounds very much like what I must have been doing and really helpful info! I deliberately didn't touch the T0/1/TV buttons in my latest attempt and the waypoints stayed where I expected them too.

I don't think I'd understood that pressing the T1/TV bind was pulling a trigger to that point and leaving it there - I thought it was momentary. I'll make sure I understand this in more detail!

Still leaves with the mission that doesn't seem to progress, but I guess that must be unrelated to my waypoint issues....

Edited by AhSoul

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Soul's pit thread