DCS: How to gain performance on Windows Vista (Windows 7)

eV1Te

This is lighthearted sarcasm so please take it as such, "flight sims are heavily CPU dependent, film at 11!"

Is there no way to run DCS on both cores? That should have a severe performance upgrade one would think. I know it's probably impossible to ask that ED write DCS with modern hardware in mind (at least at this late hour) so I'm just... disappointed.

i agree, since i dont think GPUs are suited to the task.

as for multi cores, I installed vista 64 over the weekend on my quad-core. i noticed the 100% usage of Core 1. After changing the core

affinity for BS in Task Manager for all cores, BS utilised Core 1 and 2, doubling the FPS. I was not able to utilise all cores, most likely because there is only so much one can do with a limited number of threads in the game.

hardware: Alienware Area-51 7500 - 2x 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI - 4GB RAM - Vista 64-bit - Saitek X52 Pro - TrackIR 5 Pro

I do understand the difficulties of making a non multi-threaded software fully multi-threaded, but still, it is easier to move the physics/flight dynamics engine for one example to another thread than to move it to the GPU.

My only hope is that a patch is released that in some way reduces/improves the CPU load in any way.

GPUs probably would not help in modelling flight mechanics. GPUs are not designed the same way as CPUs

hardware: Alienware Area-51 7500 - 2x 8800 GTX 768 MB SLI - 4GB RAM - Vista 64-bit - Saitek X52 Pro - TrackIR 5 Pro

GPUs probably would not help in modelling flight mechanics. GPUs are not designed the same way as CPUs

GPUs are actually very fast at physics calculation. The more parallel work an algorithm causes, the larger the boost is usually when run on the GPU. I think the little GPU (and multicore) usage of the game is an engine limitation, not a technical one.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

true for easy approach against Nvidia's CUDA system on 8800 series and beyond; for others it is rather complex

but yes i agree

true for easy approach against Nvidia's CUDA system on 8800 series and beyond; for others it is rather complex

but yes i agree

Even CUDA isn't good for all CPU type tasks as it doesn't have direct access to other systems on the computer like the hard drive or even system memory. It's mainly good for number crunching types of tasks.

-- CoolHand

Even CUDA isn't good for all CPU type tasks as it doesn't have direct access to other systems on the computer like the hard drive or even system memory. It's mainly good for number crunching types of tasks.

Nobody said that it was good at doing CPU tasks, but there is still a lot of "number crunching" stuff that could potentially be offloaded on the GPU but is run on the CPU for now.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

CUDA has many tasks, one is for accessing nVidia Physx.

The idea that a system is no good just because it can't access the hard drive is system memory is rather silly - by that definition 3D cards are hopeless for all things 3D. As for system memory, the last thing you want is the GPU or PPU to access it as for interim cumputational storage.

Edited by beugnen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm trying to download Jesse's tool and I get a forbidden error. Any ideas on why I can't get in?

:helpsmilie:I have the same problem. Is there an alternative mirror or could someone send me a copy please?

• 1 month later...
I really wonder that it was not posted in this thread before....:

Go to your Blackshark\Blackshark\data\scripts folder and open the options.lua

Make a backup first!

Change(red marked):

(look at the end of the file)

}, -- end of ["display_mode"]
[color=red]      ["effects"] = 3,[/color]
[color=red]      ["lights"] = 2,[/color]
       ["haze"] = 0,
       ["terrPrld"] = "40",
       ["height"] = 1024,
       ["resolution"] = "1280x1024",
       ["civTraffic"] = 1,
       ["width"] = 1280,

To:

}, -- end of ["display_mode"]
[color=red]      ["effects"] = 2,[/color]
[color=red]      ["lights"] = 1,[/color]
       ["haze"] = 0,
       ["terrPrld"] = "40",
       ["height"] = 1024,
       ["resolution"] = "1280x1024",
       ["civTraffic"] = 1,
       ["width"] = 1280,

This gives me a boost of 20-50 fps(depends on mission and if shkval is on or off) and I now can use much higher settings then before!

(Even with my crappy rig(see in my signature) I now have 25+ fps in all situations, with higher settings then before)

What it does is, turning off some volumetric lights and reduce and/or turning off some dust( i.e. when flying at low altitude)

Backup first!

Works for all windows versions.

I want to give this a whirl, but have read somewhere not to use notepad to edit .lua files. What can I use for this instead?

Much thanks for the suggestion