Dual Cougar MFDs for the FA18-C

Im sure it has been discused before but  just offering up my STL and results if anyone is interested in this dual MFDs for your FA18-C : I used double sided tape to mount the face plate and MFDs enjoy lmk if you need help . 

My setup is 2 1920x1080P monitors and a the 3rd being the one linked below. 

Screen : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B87X5CDV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
MFDS : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HH9TRY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
STL , tool for screen position and Lua included in Zip file below. 

326797925_1272436120006964_4819243833021369652_n.jpg

Dual Cougar MFD.zip

• Thanks 1

Nice one. I went for three screens + MFDs but frankly the middle screen sits too tight behind my stick and is cumbersome to use effectively. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

This looks exactly what I would want.  Quick question, there is a slight "missalignment" of the buttons to the screen.  Is there no way to make them more precise due to the nature of the screen? Also, how is the visibility of things like TGP? Is the resolution enough?  Thanks in advance! Looking really nice.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

22 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

This looks exactly what I would want.  Quick question, there is a slight "missalignment" of the buttons to the screen.  Is there no way to make them more precise due to the nature of the screen? Also, how is the visibility of things like TGP? Is the resolution enough?  Thanks in advance! Looking really nice.

Frames will misalign with the screen frame based on the size of it.

Visibility is great, however you need to keep in mind that currently exports are darker than in cockpit view. BN said its due to the fact that exports are not rendered with HDR whereas in-cockpit MFDs are. Apparently there is no quick fix for these at the moment. 

Working with the physical screen balance / color / brightness pretty much can solve this problem though - at least for me but I use three separate screens (CLAA070MA0ACW).

To fit within TM Cougar MFDs size, the exports are configured to be 600 x 600 pixels on a 800x600 panel (in my case). 

To visualize, here is my setup.

3MFDs.jpg

mfd.jpg

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Oh, that is really helpful!  I was thinking of purchasing this 8" ones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7GGWMM/?coliid=IKDYNWPSFHLQS&colid=39QRGRVFCK9MF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Unsure if the 7" will fit.  The 7" are more expensive by a few bucks, but maybe the tighter fit makes them easier to work with.  Have you experience with the larger ones? Thanks for the time to help.  Best regards,

Rafa.

@RafaPolitI went through various ideas and options when I was building my setup and eventually went for 

https://www.amazon.com/800×600-CLAA070MA0ACW-Screen-Monitor-Controller/dp/B072JTB73F

VSDISPLAY 7" 7 inch 800×600 4:3 CLAA070MA0ACW LCD

This is ideal fit in terms of viewable area and slightly wider than MFD, each side about 5mm. I also found 3D print enclosure for this size and I asked 3D print service to modify it a bit. 

8" will be a bit too large for one MFD and too small for two.

Maybe go withe simcube (similar screen) ot with winwing. 

I chose to build myself for 1/3 price total.

• Thanks 1

Thanks! This is very helpful!  For me, Winwing looked great, but logistics to send to my country are a nightmare, and Amazon US is better with an importing service, so I have the Thurstmaster MFDs incoming.  Also, call me a snob, but I fly the F-16 more than the Hornet and I wanted the MFDs to be more like the F-16! 😛

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 1:32 PM, RafaPolit said:

Yes you can adjust the position , the resolution is very good , the Flir also looks very good .

On 1/27/2023 at 2:39 PM, Gierasimov said:

@RafaPolitI went through various ideas and options when I was building my setup and eventually went for 

https://www.amazon.com/800×600-CLAA070MA0ACW-Screen-Monitor-Controller/dp/B072JTB73F

VSDISPLAY 7" 7 inch 800×600 4:3 CLAA070MA0ACW LCD

This is ideal fit in terms of viewable area and slightly wider than MFD, each side about 5mm. I also found 3D print enclosure for this size and I asked 3D print service to modify it a bit. 

8" will be a bit too large for one MFD and too small for two.

Maybe go withe simcube (similar screen) ot with winwing. 

I chose to build myself for 1/3 price total.

could you share the STL file with me ?

2 hours ago, AnimalMother1775 said:

could you share the STL file with me ?

I used this one initially for two of my screens

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3877146

then realized I could make it a thinner by combining the front bezel part with another front bezel part but with solid middle instead of cutout. I don't have the STL for that particular modification coz it was done by the service who printed it out. Then I used tools to cut all needed holes for screws and ports. 

I wanted to share a big thanks to this thread, the community and especially to @Gierasimov!

The suggestion to go with the VSDISPLAY 7" 7 inch 800×600 4:3 CLAA070MA0ACW LCD was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

I'm going to share a little bit of my process:  I was planning on building metal frames to hold the screens and then the MFDs on top, all to house larger screens that actually made little sense and I was not happy about wasting a lot of screen size.  Your suggestions really put my mind at ease that the CLAA070MA0ACW could do the job... I couldn't be happier!  Not only are they almost a perfect fit, I was able to install them without any alterations to the MFDs, no alterations to the LCDs, and I was able to still use the MFD stands, so the amount of work you saved me is really undescribable.

In case my approach is useful to others, here's what I did and what was required:

IMG_5466.jpeg

- 4 x 3cm M3 screws (the length will depend on the fixtures you find, M3 is a good thread but just pick something that fits on the original holes)
- 4 small washers and nuts for those screws
- Some thin metal plates, ideally with a hole that can allow the M3 screw a little wiggle room so you don't need to measure everything down to a thousand of a milimiter 😛
- Larger washers to secure the bottom part of the LCD
- 5mm nuts to serve as "spacers" between the metal plate and the MFD
- 1mm double sided tape (this can be any thickness, but you need to account for the 4mm of the bezel for the LCD plus the thickness of the tape when choosing the separator nut)

How I did it is:
IMG_5467.jpeg
- Start by securing the bottom part of the LCD with the bolt a larger washer and then the washer and nut like in the picture.  This is ideal, because the LCD bezel is at its PERFECT height when resting on a bolt going through the bottom-most holes, which is a god-send!  No need for crazy perfect measurements, it just aligns.  
- With this two bolts securing a little bit the LCD, center it horizontally so that you have symmetric "air" on the sides of the MFD to the SCREEN AREA (crucial here, don't center it to the outer size, but the inner screen area)

IMG_5470.jpeg
- Once it's roughly centered (the beauty of this method is that you don't need to be milimetrically precise with anything!), secure the metal plate to the bezel with double-sided tape, using the bolt as reference (here's where it's handy if the hole in the plate is slightly larger)

You are DONE!  Now simply:
IMG_5468.jpeg
- Put the 5mm spacer in the bolt, secure the back element from the Cougar MFDs, and place a nut and bolt (please note that, in this picture, the plastic frame is upside down, that is not the way to mount it, mount it normally with the opening to the top part as in the next image)

I used the MDFs frame to further secure the PCBs that come with the LCD:
IMG_5473.jpeg

And with that, I have my functioning MFDs with screens, for less than the WinWing screens.  Not a LOT less, these are:
- $90 for the MFDs + $160 for the LCDs (with HDMI breakout PCB and remote control!) + $10 of nuts and bolts = $260
- WinWing solution will offset you $349.6 and you don't have to do a thing, so it's note like a night and day difference

Still, I love the result, couldn't be happier!!! And I couldn't be more grateful to @Gierasimov for sharing his "discovery" of these marvelous screens!  The fact that I can use the Thrustmaster stands is a huge advantage for versatility and upcoming options.

IMG_5474.jpeg

Thanks so much!
Rafa.

7 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

I wanted to share a big thanks to this thread, the community and especially to @Gierasimov!

The suggestion to go with the VSDISPLAY 7" 7 inch 800×600 4:3 CLAA070MA0ACW LCD was ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!

I'm going to share a little bit of my process:  I was planning on building metal frames to hold the screens and then the MFDs on top, all to house larger screens that actually made little sense and I was not happy about wasting a lot of screen size.  Your suggestions really put my mind at ease that the CLAA070MA0ACW could do the job... I couldn't be happier!  Not only are they almost a perfect fit, I was able to install them without any alterations to the MFDs, no alterations to the LCDs, and I was able to still use the MFD stands, so the amount of work you saved me is really undescribable.

In case my approach is useful to others, here's what I did and what was required:

IMG_5466.jpeg

- 4 x 3cm M3 screws (the length will depend on the fixtures you find, M3 is a good thread but just pick something that fits on the original holes)
- 4 small washers and nuts for those screws
- Some thin metal plates, ideally with a hole that can allow the M3 screw a little wiggle room so you don't need to measure everything down to a thousand of a milimiter 😛
- Larger washers to secure the bottom part of the LCD
- 5mm nuts to serve as "spacers" between the metal plate and the MFD
- 1mm double sided tape (this can be any thickness, but you need to account for the 4mm of the bezel for the LCD plus the thickness of the tape when choosing the separator nut)

How I did it is:
IMG_5467.jpeg
- Start by securing the bottom part of the LCD with the bolt a larger washer and then the washer and nut like in the picture.  This is ideal, because the LCD bezel is at its PERFECT height when resting on a bolt going through the bottom-most holes, which is a god-send!  No need for crazy perfect measurements, it just aligns.  
- With this two bolts securing a little bit the LCD, center it horizontally so that you have symmetric "air" on the sides of the MFD to the SCREEN AREA (crucial here, don't center it to the outer size, but the inner screen area)

IMG_5470.jpeg
- Once it's roughly centered (the beauty of this method is that you don't need to be milimetrically precise with anything!), secure the metal plate to the bezel with double-sided tape, using the bolt as reference (here's where it's handy if the hole in the plate is slightly larger)

You are DONE!  Now simply:
IMG_5468.jpeg
- Put the 5mm spacer in the bolt, secure the back element from the Cougar MFDs, and place a nut and bolt (please note that, in this picture, the plastic frame is upside down, that is not the way to mount it, mount it normally with the opening to the top part as in the next image)

I used the MDFs frame to further secure the PCBs that come with the LCD:
IMG_5473.jpeg

And with that, I have my functioning MFDs with screens, for less than the WinWing screens.  Not a LOT less, these are:
- $90 for the MFDs + $160 for the LCDs (with HDMI breakout PCB and remote control!) + $10 of nuts and bolts = $260
- WinWing solution will offset you $349.6 and you don't have to do a thing, so it's note like a night and day difference

Still, I love the result, couldn't be happier!!! And I couldn't be more grateful to @Gierasimov for sharing his "discovery" of these marvelous screens!  The fact that I can use the Thrustmaster stands is a huge advantage for versatility and upcoming options.

IMG_5474.jpeg

Thanks so much!
Rafa.

Thank you @RafaPolit for kind words. 

I am pretty sure others would also recommend those particular screens I just happened to respond to the thread 😉

I like your approach as well, its efficient. 

Enjoy your new setup. 

Edited by Gierasimov

With what? The Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs? No, not only is one "not included", there is no "specifically made for them" display, so that's the reason of this thread, to show different implementations of different options available.  

On 2/12/2023 at 5:17 PM, zoomie36 said:

Is there an actual screen included? Kinda confusing when you look at the website  

If you want a ready made look at Cubesim or WinWing offerings. These come with screen & buttons. I understand that Cubesim is exactly TM Cougar size with custom screen and WinWing is larger than TM Cougar and also includes more buttons. 

$$$ though... 

On 2/10/2023 at 12:04 AM, RafaPolit said:

probably more, don't forget additional taxes and delivery cost

MFDs and screens you can order from your local Amazon so it's nothing extra

Anyway great work on your part, I would give it a try, but I'm moving into VR unfortunately ( or maybe fortunately 🙂 )

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:42 AM, AnimalMother1775 said:

I'm sure it has been discused before but  just offering up my STL and results if anyone is interested in this dual MFDs for your FA18-C : I used double sided tape to mount the face plate and MFDs enjoy lmk if you need help . 

My setup is 2 1920x1080P monitors and a the 3rd being the one linked below. 

Screen : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B87X5CDV?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
MFDS : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HH9TRY?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
STL , tool for screen position and Lua included in Zip file below. 

Wanted to say "Thank you" to @AnimalMother1775 for the fantastic idea, it was a quick and easy solution for me.  I joined two of the STL files together to make one, then had it printed.  After which I applied 3M commander strips to hold everything together (and move for alignment if needed).  Don't mind the screen text/button alignment, it was the angle of my phone in taking the pic.

I've attached the modified stl if anyone is interested. Mount V2.stl

null

nullimage.png

image.png

I've attached the modified stl if anyone is interested.

This is just what the Dr ordered!

I have Four MFD t-master button assemblies, each mounted on its own pivot mount.

This will make the set up much cleaner and easier to manage.

No screens inside,

I wanted only three but they sell in pairs.

So, more is better!

I use VR

Off to the printer with the gcode!

Thanks!

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."