SteamVR motion projection "waves" ?

dureiken

Hi drivers,

I just reinstalled/formatted my PC with a brand new win 10, and I have a problem that I didn't have before: on my G2, when reprojection is activated (45 or 30 fps), I have waves, distortions on objects.

I thought it was coming from BMS: very visible on the kneeboard or MFD, but in fact on the steamVR menu when I force the repro it's the same. Any idea of the cause?

When I am at 90/60 fps no problem, once the motion projection is enabled I have those "waves". It disapears when go back to full FPS.

Thanks for your help

Durei

These artefacts are caused by motion reprojection. It doesn't matter which method you use, all forms of motion reprojection have very similar issues. This is why VR games are meant to be played with zero reprojection. Unfortunately DCS is too demanding to be able to run at native frame rate, so we're forced to use reprojection, or be happy with stuttering instead.

1 hour ago, GunSlingerOZ said:

These artefacts are caused by motion reprojection. It doesn't matter which method you use, all forms of motion reprojection have very similar issues. This is why VR games are meant to be played with zero reprojection. Unfortunately DCS is too demanding to be able to run at native frame rate, so we're forced to use reprojection, or be happy with stuttering instead.

yes I know but what is strange is that I didn't have this problem before, or far less, but I had motion projection too.

I don't think it's your problem exactly but altering the world scale in openxr toolkit before has caused stepped edges (could be described as waves?) on the sides of the kneeboard before when reprojection is enabled.  I'm fairly certain that there is a world scale option in steamvr, might be worth checking it's set to default as it might be causing the same issue.

Using the DCS IPD (world scale) setting correctly changes the size of the cockpit around you without causing corruption of the kneeboard edges.  The numbers tie up between the DCS setting and the openxr setting - I use 44mm for both (IPD is actually about 63.5) as that gives the best scaling based off my hotas size/MFD position.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

37 minutes ago, dureiken said:

Hi, made some tests, it's not only steamVR, same with openXR native and OXRTK motion projection

Correction, MR is not in OXRTK, it merely sets the OpenXR settings.  And yes, the artifacts are in both.

Edited by Glide