Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

MT CPU Bound Renderthread, CPU Main Thread

Tomcat388th

16 hours ago, hazzer said:

nullHAGS disabled, It appears I now have higher FPS however the game is still bouncing between CPU bound, main thread and rendering thread. Given my gpu load is essentially between 97-100 I would think that it is still limited by the GPU. Anything else I can do to get the most out of my CPU in dcs?

image.png

image.png

image.png

it looks like you're locked into 60fps (except for when it drops down). Would I be correct in assuming that when it's below 60fps, it's saying GPU bound, and when you're at 60fps it's saying CPU bound?

if so - it looks like it might be locking to the frequency of your HMD.  Just remember, it's always going to say either "CPU Bound" or "GPU Bound" - ALWAYS one or the other. If the GPU has overhead room (such as if it could go to 65fps, but is being locked to 60fps because that's all you need) it is going to say CPU bound - even if you have overhead with your CPU too. 

5 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

it looks like you're locked into 60fps (except for when it drops down). Would I be correct in assuming that when it's below 60fps, it's saying GPU bound, and when you're at 60fps it's saying CPU bound?

if so - it looks like it might be locking to the frequency of your HMD.  Just remember, it's always going to say either "CPU Bound" or "GPU Bound" - ALWAYS one or the other. If the GPU has overhead room (such as if it could go to 65fps, but is being locked to 60fps because that's all you need) it is going to say CPU bound - even if you have overhead with your CPU too. 

Not locked to 60fps, my headset is 90hz (reverb g2) so I have locked fps to 90. 

I think it just happened to drop to the nice round number of 60fps. I'm not going to loose sleep over this as I'm sure when the 4090 shows up ill be getting some gains either way. 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I'm using a 13900k, 32gb ram and a 4090. In dcs multithreaded I'm always getting CPU bound in the performance metric.

I also fly in VR with a quest pro and in MT version I get a lot of microstutters. To the point that it becomes really annoying and sometimrmes unplayable even though ASW kicks in and I'm at 45fps.

In ST mode I don't get the CPU bound message and I also don't get the microstutters or hiccups.

Tried unparking my cores but that didn't seem to help with anything.

• Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

On 11/4/2023 at 9:12 AM, sze5003 said:

I'm using a 13900k, 32gb ram and a 4090. In dcs multithreaded I'm always getting CPU bound in the performance metric.

I also fly in VR with a quest pro and in MT version I get a lot of microstutters. To the point that it becomes really annoying and sometimrmes unplayable even though ASW kicks in and I'm at 45fps.

In ST mode I don't get the CPU bound message and I also don't get the microstutters or hiccups.

Tried unparking my cores but that didn't seem to help with anything.

We encounter the same problem.

I have the same rig as yours but 4080. I also play VR.

Without MT, I got a very smooth framerate.

I have the same problem. I have an HP reverb G2 3080 TI card. 
At 90 htz which is the frequency of my G2 it is unplayable. 
I reduced it to 60 Htz and the game is smoother. 
However, I have some lags but it remains acceptable. If that can help you ....?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there, same issue in VR here.. Just upgraded my Rig which already had a 4090 in it, from a 5800x to a 7950x with 64GB RAM but i am still CPU bound no matter how far i crank the Graphics up or set them down. the Framerate above 1500ft AGL is a smooth 90 FPS all the time. However as soon as i descend below that it stalls down to stuttery 60. Interestingly the only setting to really affect the Framerate in ANY way is Pixel-Density. at 0.6 the framerate drastically improves down low and even the stutters go away. But it looks really awful on my Reverb G2.. above 1.0 i can't keep the 90 frames up above 1500 feet. But No matter the Density settings, I'm always CPU bound.
I always thought the Pixel-Density was a GPU thing?!

Edited by Mobius_11804

On 11/27/2023 at 6:09 PM, Mobius_11804 said:

Hey there, same issue in VR here.. Just upgraded my Rig which already had a 4090 in it, from a 5800x to a 7950x with 64GB RAM but i am still CPU bound no matter how far i crank the Graphics up or set them down. the Framerate above 1500ft AGL is a smooth 90 FPS all the time. However as soon as i descend below that it stalls down to stuttery 60. Interestingly the only setting to really affect the Framerate in ANY way is Pixel-Density. at 0.6 the framerate drastically improves down low and even the stutters go away. But it looks really awful on my Reverb G2.. above 1.0 i can't keep the 90 frames up above 1500 feet. But No matter the Density settings, I'm always CPU bound.
I always thought the Pixel-Density was a GPU thing?!

Is it the same with ST?

Edited by Lee Dove

Well you got me curious so i went an tried out ST again.

Conclusion: At a Pixel Density of 0.8  when on the ground i get  about 45ish frames pretty smooth, as soon as I take off the stuttery 60's are back and this time above 10000 feet i get smooth 90 again. These numbers go up at 0.5 by about 15 Frames exept the 90's which are locked. And at 1.3 i get decrease by about 10 Frames with the 90s up high again.

So MT runs better for sure, but this still does not explain why the only setting to really affect the Framerate is Pixel-Density. Shouldn't there be noticeable differences as well if you Increase/decrease viewing distance, shadow settings, Forest/Scene Details and stuff like that?

I finally found this thread after days of screwing with my DCS trying to solve the stutter problem.

i7 13700k

RTX 4080

32GB RAM

REVERB G2

I've cleared shaders, clean installed the NVIDIA drivers when I upgraded to the 4080 (which I have had for about a week), completely deleted Open XR Tools for WMR, completely deleted Open XR Toolkit, reinstalled those, tried running with motion reprojection on, fixed foveated rendering, and pretty much everything in this forum thread to include disabling my E cores through both BIOS and Process Lasso. I also set affinity and have not had any luck.

I get the same frame time spikes like @hazzer has. I can mess with some settings to make them go mostly away but still experience random spikes where I can notice frame drops or stutters in game. Especially noticeable when not looking forward. I have tried to set DCS settings as low as they will go but still experience the same stutters.

Flat panel 4K settings cranked looks awesome with Track IR, maybe a super occasional stutter but not enough to notice. Frames above 60 most of the time often in the 90+ range along with frame times where the lines are a bit "fuzzy" but just barely and they stay consistent with the load being asked of the computer based on what I am looking at. 

I can't seem to isolate what is causing the issues in VR. I spent all this time and money building my CPU up for VR and can see people with similar computers posting videos and raving about how awesome VR is and yet they don't seem to have any issues.

Here are some photos of my DCS frame times etc for y'all to look at. 

Anyone have any solution or anything at all to help!

Screen_231128_195130.jpg

Screen_231128_195549.jpg

Screen_231130_215724.jpg

Screen_231130_215731.jpg

• Like 1

Nozzle97,

Are you using Open XR or SteamVR?? Either way try cranking the resolution of the G2 Down too 1724 x 1688, I know it is low just for a test and see if the stuttering is gone. if it is let me know. I am a firm beleiver and have noticed when the Resolution is maxed in the G2 it is very taxing on the GPU and lowering the rez helps..

The settings in DCS hardly matter much the key is lowering the rez in the g2 to an acceptable and level that the FPS are good. and if possible try setting the Hz to 60Hz in the G2 if you can not maintain 90FPS if it is set to 90Hz..

I noticed whatever Hz rate you set at in the G2 and probally all VR headsets if you dip below the 90/90Hz/FPS rate you get stuttering.. I hope it works out for you as it does for me as I set the Hz rate of my G2 to 60 and I use 30% Rez in the G2 and I am able to havea real buttery smooth experience even looking left and right..

IDK Maybe that is the key and where most users problems are stemming from.. I know one thing it works for me.. But I do realize 2.9 has had a FPS imapact and they are lower then with 2.8.. but lowering the rez in the G2 can counter that.

Remember you don't have to keep it at 30% this is just a test to see if it does in fact raise your FPS. then if it did you would just need to set it at where it still able to maintain your desired FPS vs your HZ rate.

I know you have a very good PC and it is probally not an issue on other games but you have to rememeber DCS is not your regular game.. 🙂

Good Luck!!

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4-AC / Intel i7 11700K @ 5.0Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVME 2TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar  / Buttkicker Gamer 2

On 12/6/2023 at 6:37 PM, The_Nephilim said:

Are you using Open XR or SteamVR?? Either way try cranking the resolution of the G2 Down too 1724 x 1688, I know it is low just for a test and see if the stuttering is gone. if it is let me know. I am a firm beleiver and have noticed when the Resolution is maxed in the G2 it is very taxing on the GPU and lowering the rez helps..

Open XR. Are you reducing the res via Open XR Tools for WMR, or the Open XR Toolkit? Or dropping the DCS pixel density?

On 12/6/2023 at 6:37 PM, The_Nephilim said:

I noticed whatever Hz rate you set at in the G2 and probally all VR headsets if you dip below the 90/90Hz/FPS rate you get stuttering.. I hope it works out for you as it does for me as I set the Hz rate of my G2 to 60 and I use 30% Rez in the G2 and I am able to havea real buttery smooth experience even looking left and right..

I agree that DCS stutters pretty much anytime the frame rate changes. As evidenced by the frame time spikes. 

@The_Nephilim

OK after doing what you suggested by reducing the render resolution to 30% via Open XR Tools for WMR I received these results. I am getting super solid frame times most of the time. Far more consistently than before. But still am managing to find some stutters. I use the same instant action free flight mission over Syria (same as my previous post) every time to keep that consistent. Here's some screenshots of my frame counter. 

Here is consistent frames. Awesome!

Screen_231207_202025.jpg

Here are a couple examples of the stutters. As you can see they are not too bad but you can see the frames drop my 1-2 max and that's associated with a visible stutter.

Screen_231207_202028.jpg

Screen_231207_202013.jpg

Here's a wilder one. This was more noticeable. IDK what caused it.

Screen_231207_202016.jpg

Definitely got some results with this test. Gonna give motion reprojection a shot although I am not a fan of the spaghetti AMRAAMS and weirdness you get with MR.

But I still feel like my computer should be able to handle way more than this without stutters much less rendering this far down and still experiencing ANY stutters at all! Am I just asking too much of ED (probably) or am I not crazy and there's something else going on?

Thanks

Edit: Just said screw it and reinstalled the game completely. Hopped into the TF-51 on Marianas on one of the free flight missions. Still at 30% render via Open XR Tools for WMR. No change. Same stutters. WTF!

Edited by Nozzle97
Update

Looking at this, I think this is an issue with the game. We should be able to drop below the max hz of the display without stuttering and having those horrid frame timings. 

I now have a 4090 and whilst it is smoother. I do get those drops. The gpu usage isn't maxed out either. 

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

20 hours ago, hazzer said:

I now have a 4090 and whilst it is smoother. I do get those drops. The gpu usage isn't maxed out either. 

Interesting. So you're saying you have the same exact sort of frame timings as in my photos? Both the more consistent spikes AND the less common random ones?

Cause that's my biggest question. Is this a ME problem or an @Eagle Dynamics Issue? Either way though have you had any luck mitigating the stutters? If so what have you done to get it to be the most bearable? Thanks @hazzer!!!

Ok.  I've just broke through.  I9 14900kf 4080 32gb 5600.  HP Reverb G2.

Windows 11 settings menu for Mixed reality, Nividia control panel, open xr, dcs, open xr toolkit. 

Attention to: 

Windows mixed reality in Windows setting/headset setting to Optimize performance.

Nividia panel set mfaa on, prefer max performance,  shader cache to 10gb, pre rendered frames at 1.

Open xr render resolution 100% which you can raise or lower a bit. 

Set VR pixel density to .9 in DCS.  DLSS on, and to Quality.  You can play with all other settings, clouds caused some spikes so I set to standard, and terrain shadows to flat. LOD to 2.

Open xr "toolkit" only change to TURBO ON.

Oh and GPU scheduling ON in Windows graphics.

I'm getting 90 fps on ground and carriers as well as altitude.  Also on F-18 instant action battlefield scenario.  Which has a lot of units. Also with mirrors on. Still has some hickups and drops to 82 or 75 for a brief sec in low level canyon runs.  I'm CPU bound and my GPU was using only 5gb, after this change it stayed around 8gb and 10gb on the Teddy Roosevelt.   

Anyway I think the main contributer was pixel density in dcs.  Sliding it back by .1 then supersample with open xr at 100% to 120% to sharpen things up. The MFAA in Nividia control panel smooths out the digital green mfd's caused by stepping back the PD.  Hope this helps someone.

20231214_030702.heic