Pixel Density on high end GPUs

JesterIsDead

I run a Quest 2 with a RTX3060ti and my pixel density is set at 1.1. I am hoping to upgrade to a 3080 at least. Those running 3080s or higher, what are your pixel density? How does this change the appearance or your VR graphics?

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

RTX-4090, PD is still at 1.0, prefer running at higher resolution instead.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

52 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

RTX-4090, PD is still at 1.0, prefer running at higher resolution instead.

Interesting, do you run at 120Hz? what do you set your MSAA at? Trying to make my MDFs clearer with pixel density.

I7-10700F | RTX4070 FE | 32G RAM | Quest 2/3 | TM T16000 HOTAS & Throttle | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-15C | A-10 II 

1 hour ago, JesterIsDead said:

Interesting, do you run at 120Hz? what do you set your MSAA at? Trying to make my MDFs clearer with pixel density.

Shameless push:

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

2 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Shameless push:

Check the Frame Timing for both MT vs Single Thread.

Edited by fagulha
Typo

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

35 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Shameless push:

Your settings are so modest! I run higher settings on my RTX3060ti. Am I way off? I run 90Hz slider all the way to the right, High Texture/High Terrains MSAAx2. PD 1.1.  I do use 30HZ ASW. Maybe I should turn my settings down?

1 hour ago, gonvise said:

Since I have the 4090 I have started using 125% resolution on steamvr or openxr. The quality and clarity in reverb G2 is superb.

I wish I got the G2 instead. Now I get to pick a new GPU or VR Headset, not both.

1 hour ago, fagulha said:

Check the Frame Timing for both MT vs Single Thread.

From the CapFrameX I get later, the MT frame times were much better.

1 hour ago, JesterIsDead said:

Your settings are so modest! I run higher settings on my RTX3060ti. Am I way off? I run 90Hz slider all the way to the right, High Texture/High Terrains MSAAx2. PD 1.1.  I do use 30HZ ASW. Maybe I should turn my settings down?

Because I trade fps over visual quality. The choice is personal. I just shown how much better MT helps with OpenXR.

Also, this was an old setting because the whole scenario has no trees, I then changed the setting of some part to even lower so that some more challenging situation like snowy mountain in Caucasus  could perform better.

Edited by VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants

I also have the Q2 with a 3060ti with the pixel density set at 1.5.  I'm averaging 40 fps depending on aircraft and map but doesn't drop under 35.  Very smooth flight in M.T. with openxr.  Graphics at high accept water and shadows.   If I set it to 1.7 my fps drops to about 35 but still very smooth and very clear.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

2 minutes ago, Laidback said:

I also have the Q2 with a 3060ti with the pixel density set at 1.5.  I'm averaging 40 fps depending on aircraft and map but doesn't drop under 35.  Very smooth flight in M.T. with openxr.  Graphics at high accept water and shadows.   If I set it to 1.7 my fps drops to about 35 but still very smooth and very clear.

Do you use OTT or ODT? What are your Oculus settings?

4 minutes ago, Laidback said:

I use ODT.  I have everything disable accept FOV which is set to auto.  Adaptive GPU at default.  Distortion Curvature at low.  Encode Resolution at 3960.  Encode Bitrate at 500 and link Sharpening enabled.

what refresh rate do you run? I am currently on 90HZ but it seems too high.

22 minutes ago, JesterIsDead said:

what refresh rate do you run? I am currently on 90HZ but it seems too high.

That's what I have it at too.  I may drop it down to 72 to see how it runs but I don't have any issues right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Time framing is often missed. I have more or less the same fps in VR but smoother, my frame times are lower (better).

Edited by fagulha
Typo

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

I very recently upgraded from a 1080ti to a 3080ti.  I am still tuning, but currently I am running with these settings.  My aim is to run at 72 fps w/o ASW kicking in on moderately simple SP missions (was not possible with 1080ti).  I would like to run at 1.3 - 1.5 PD, but I find that I can't hold 72 fps, as I'd like, if I do, so am running at 1.1.  I think it appers considerably crisper, esp for small text, in MFDs, etc, and would love to run it this high, but it impacts my performance too much.

I am still running with my i7-8700k, and will be upgrading this to something newer soon (prob 13700k), which I hope will squeeze out a bit more performance.

I havent tried going higher that 72 Hz, which again would be nice, by will of course impact performance.

I'm actually very happy with the upgrade, as I highly value being able to run w/o ASW.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

1 hour ago, Hippo said:

I very recently upgraded from a 1080ti to a 3080ti.  I am still tuning, but currently I am running with these settings.  My aim is to run at 72 fps w/o ASW kicking in on moderately simple SP missions (was not possible with 1080ti).  I would like to run at 1.3 - 1.5 PD, but I find that I can't hold 72 fps, as I'd like, if I do, so am running at 1.1.  I think it appers considerably crisper, esp for small text, in MFDs, etc, and would love to run it this high, but it impacts my performance too much.

I am still running with my i7-8700k, and will be upgrading this to something newer soon (prob 13700k), which I hope will squeeze out a bit more performance.

I havent tried going higher that 72 Hz, which again would be nice, by will of course impact performance.

I'm actually very happy with the upgrade, as I highly value being able to run w/o ASW.

I tried bumping my DCS to 1.5 PD. It looked so gorgeous, but of course not playable. Even with a 3080ti, it's not possible? My goal is to run w/o ASW as well. I am running at 90hz with 30hz ASW in OTT and it runs smooth even for a moderately busy mission. I do notice bandits get blurry when they fly by close to me. My frame is still 30 fps, but it seems like ASW is kicking in. Running without ASW is important to me as well.