Good thing I held off on the Aero...

winghunter

When i got my G2, the Aero came out a few months later. Even though the Aero is better, I didnt upgrade as I had just bought a new headset.

My plan was to skip one generation and wait for the next evolution. So maybe this is it, the next gen:

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

The Aero is great, but what i expect from the next gen is a significantly larger FOV and black levels. Which is what the Crystal seems to achieve.

Also not a huge pimax fan, but seems like they have stepped up their game with the Crystal. Need to see more reviews but so far even the more down to earth reviewers are raving.

The thing is dependent on batteries to operate, that should be a huge fed flag for the stationary flight simmer.  The 12K is the one I'll be waiting for, wouldn't even consider this one for my purposes.  Another one follows Zucker over the meta cliffs, colossal misdirection and miscalculation, follow the fool but don't listen to your customers.  Seems to me they're building stuff to the level their social and stand up crowd doesn't even need or want, let alone willing to pay for, meanwhile we're dying of thirst in the desert.

• Like 2

Personal thing for me but - I won't touch Pimax with a 10ft pole. I despise the way they market and do business.

Been having a blast with my Aero every day now for well over a year. In fact Aero and Crystal were announced the same week. Varjo delivered - Pimax - well they are still working on it lol.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Isn't Pimax Chinese for "Empty Promise"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

I’m going back and forth on this (did the $30 reservation because why not). I tried the Pimax 8kx at one point and it was a TERRIBLE experience. Most uncomfortable headset I’ve ever worn (and I’ve had most of them), issues with the cables, which were replaced, only to continue having issues with a brand new PC build. I did not like the software and the customer service to get a refund was an absolute nightmare to the point that I had to open a PayPal dispute to get them to move their asses.

All of that makes me want to avoid this device. But that FOV and resolution is so enticing. 

I am also concerned about the battery nonsense… even when it’s plugged in you can theoretically outplay the battery charge and have to swap them? What?! And will they degrade over time, as all batteries do? Real sour taste in my mouth on that particular point. 

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

Lots of rationalization and anecdotic facts here.  Pimax 8kX is the ultimate immersion experience, tried many other HMD and tunnel vision is not good in flight sim.  Try a well optimized 8kX setup at native resolution and you will be blown away.  Will not speak about the Crystal until I try one but right off the bat, its FOV is not as good as the 8kX.

...speaking from experience 😉

Edited by WipeUout
Typo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB, ADDLINK S72 2TB, TM WARTHOG COMBO + PENDULAR RUDDER PEDALS, PIMAX 8K X, Sony 5.1 Spks+SubW | DCS OB, A-10C_II, AH-64D, F-14/16/18, F-86F, AV-8B, M-2000C, SA342, Huey, Spitfire, FC3.

I totally get the Pimax criticism considering their marketing and product history.

But looking at the Crystal reviews, it seems Pimax actually delivered this time what they promised (even though they are late). And it is the only next gen consumer headset on the market right now.  They need to fix the battery issue though, its ridiculous.

Should I wait another 6-12 months for the Aero2 ? A reverb G3 is sadly not happening.  What I REALLY want is more FOV without the issues of the 8kX or previous pimax products.

1 hour ago, winghunter said:

I totally get the Pimax criticism considering their marketing and product history.

But looking at the Crystal reviews, it seems Pimax actually delivered this time what they promised (even though they are late). And it is the only next gen consumer headset on the market right now.  They need to fix the battery issue though, its ridiculous.

Should I wait another 6-12 months for the Aero2 ? A reverb G3 is sadly not happening.  What I REALLY want is more FOV without the issues of the 8kX or previous pimax products.

Everyone is a little different. FOV to me means much less than say image clarity and stability. I will take the latter any day over FOV. And I would want a finished product, not one that is continuously being developed on the fly to reach what they stated it would do based on the last say 100 units shipped out. Pimax Modus Operandi. Pimax left a very bad taste in my mouth from the get go and I guess I just can't overcome that. But I am happy they are there and offering high end PC-VR to the consumers, certainly helps the VR cause in the long run. And that is a good thing.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Something not right about Pimax, try finding a new one, the only thing available is refurbished, you can't find a late model new one anywhere.  Another red flag, why is their flag ship 8k x not even in production, how long has it been gone, makes one wonder what is their real market share. 

Or are they actually running a controlled recycling and rebuild program selling the same units multiple times?  Very suspicious, multiple store fronts but all pretty much with no product, not even base accessories.