U22A EM signal recording seems to be broken

Leviathan667

Hi,

I noticed over the course of the last few weeks in several missions the pod would only record red air emitters and completely ignore land based red emitters.

So I made a custom mission to test the U22/A ability to record land based red signals.

It did not record any even though I’ve been painted several times by SAM systems and one of them fired at my plane.

Find attached the info file, trk file, tacview file and miz file.

Tacview-20230325-152210-DCS-TEST_ELINT_VIGGEN 2.zip.acmi Leviathan ELINT2.trk TEST_ELINT_VIGGEN 2.miz ELINTData 25-03-2023.info

• Thanks 3

Wishlist: Tornado ADV/IDS, Blackburn Buccaneer, Super Mystère B2, Saab J 35 Draken,

• 11 months later...

Sorry for Necroposting, but I have a similar enough issue I think.

On the South Atlantic map I get completely invalid elint data, doesnt matter what patterns, heights, emitters whatever I do. The Coords are way off.
Same gear on the Syria Map, and I get good data.

Map issue, or something else?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Same problem. The targets are completely off position after having done a ELINT mission. Question is whether this is intentional (what the technology of the day allowed), or whether this is indeed a bug.

Confirmed with taking a navigation fix on beforehand, so as to rule out drifting of NAV.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

53 minutes ago, zerO_crash said:

Same problem. The targets are completely off position after having done a ELINT mission.

I'm currently re-learning the Vigggen and will soon study its ELINT abilities, I will post here any findings that I get.  I find it curious that no one from Heatblur acknowledged the bug report made by the OP, I know that they must be busy with the Phantom, but at least one person of the team should be maintaining the Viggen, isnt it?  🙄

Edit: here is a very recent video, by @deephack, on the Syria Map and the ELINT feature seems to work normally:

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

21 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I'm currently re-learning the Vigggen and will soon study its ELINT abilities, I will post here any findings that I get.  I find it curious that no one from Heatblur acknowledged the bug report made by the OP, I know that they must be busy with the Phantom, but at least one person of the team should be maintaining the Viggen, isnt it?  🙄

Edit: here is a very recent video, by @deephack, on the Syria Map and the ELINT feature seems to work normally:

Well, actually, at 05:45, he mentions that one of the points was off. He doesn't show any map scale, but it looks 20-30km ish by eye measure (it can be measured on the map though). One site didn't even get picked up (SA-11).

My experience, is that in a dense area with multiple theatre-level (division) SAM sites, the coordinates can sometimes be between, or completely outside of the area. I've had results ranging from approx. 18-22km away from actual SAM-site, to as much as 70-80 km and more, away.

That's why I ask whether this is a actual bug, or simply very advanced modelling of radar waves (electromagnetic)/lack of accuracy of the system. Not sure why Heatblur won't come with a comment on this... There are tracks above, if they need that.

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did some experiments with this about two years back against land SAMs and vessels, it was working then but even under ideal conditions (single emitter, non complicated environment, full fly around) it was not particularly accurate, perhaps at best 5-10km. But it did feel representative of a system of this era (i.e. based on INS not GPS, repurposing a directional jammer pod to act as a sensor). In a more complex environment the results got a lot more inaccurate.

I will try to test again soon.

Edit: It is probably also worth noting at some point the online tools for reading the U22 files broke. Combatflight also has the ability to read these files, and at the end of the day the U22 files are basically just a text file so you can read them yourself to check the DCS sim output before a potentially broken mapping tool reads them.

Edited by Sideburns
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄