CPU frame time gets bad after respawn on same server and slot and create spikes in the cpu frame time graph - never recovers (VR)

Multithreading Issue. Very difficult to report,  but if I start on a dogfight server, freshly loaded in, I can fly around with a good frame time and smooth playback.

After I respawn in the same slot, with the same aircraft the CPU frame time gets bad (high) and creates spikes that create stutters. It never recorvers during this session on the server. Only a reconnect helps, until I need to respawn and it starts all over with spikes in the CPU frame time graph.

See the timecode to prove that the CPU frame time does not get messed up by only flying around but only until a respawn.

The same happens with Varjos OpenXR instead of using the SteamVR OpenXR but its easier to illustrate with fpsVR running in a separate window.

Track file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpc0p8kk4oktat1/mobettametas_Dogfight_Arena_v1.73.1-20230404-233753.trk?dl=0

System specs and running a Varo Aero

image.png

Edited by darkman222
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bump:  Isnt there anyone else experiencing the multthreading performance degrading after time? Or after respawning? Yesterday I had a 2 h multiplayer flight on Marianas with approximately 10 clients and the performance was stuttering after that 2 hours.

Hello, take a look at RAM and VRAM usage

Some memory leaks or memory need increased observed in this forum

When usage are near the physical limits ( true memory and not virtual memory ), some stutter may appears

Edited by fab.13

Thanks. Yes I realized that sometimes the Ram is almost full. Not really sure right now if it was Ram or the GPU Vram. In that test I did with that video  here , it  was not the case, but I remember, the values being on the upper limit.

I'll have an eye on it when the RAM is running low again.

Edited by darkman222

With the recent update its still the same. CPU frame time degrades after a respawn. It does not matter if I die and respawn or if I just pick a new aircraft instead of dying and respawning.

I tried it with the single threaded version, apart from that the CPU frame time is bad all the time, I dont believe that it degrades that much, or maybe it does not degrade at all. After respawn my CPU frame time was even better.

Not really sure what else to do.

Edit: Its the same on all servers. The ones that have less overall demand on the CPU its just a matter of time when the degration happens. On servers that perform better it happens maybe after the 5th respawn. But it happens for sure and the performance drop stays until reconnect.

Edited by darkman222

@BIGNEWYIs someone taking care of this issue at all? I usually dont share big track files but this one here is from the same server that degrades with about 10 -14 aircraft in guns area after the 3rd respawn approximately, but now with only 2 aircraft in the beginning and a 3rd joining later. But the CPU frame time drops for sure, but with that little amount of aircraft this time after the 10th or maybe 15th respawn. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qhgu044yqnc7k4/mobettametas_Dogfight_Arena_v1.73.1-20230420-171714 performance drop over time.trk?dl=0

I dont know if these track files are useful at all. But what event makes the CPU frame time degrade, maybe its easier to identify with only 2 aircraft in the area.

And what makes the CPU frame time create these annoying spikes?

And why do they have this regular pattern?!

null

image.png

Edited by darkman222

• ED Team

I am not experiencing frametime issues like you seem to be. 

We have an issue with craters that is reported, but that is an fps issue over time. 

regarding the pattern, I really couldn't say. 

I would start by looking at back ground tasks, or scripts, mods and make sure hotplug is disabled in dcs controls. Check temps, and if you overclock try with default values.  

If you can attach your dcs log and a dxdiag maybe more clues 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I took notice of this thread here. The issues might be related.

I did some more testing shown in my video.

My observations are:

-CPU frame time will degrade after time. Might be related to something that killed aircraft leave on the server. Possibly craters, or other leftovers of what ever kind, that will add up in the CPU frame time.

-Aircraft like the F18 or F14 that are CPU heavy will start suffering earlier than aircraft that are light on the CPU like the F16. But it will just take longer until the F16 will notice bad CPU frame times too.

What I did in that video:

On that specific server when I took the video there was not too many players online. So it took quite some time until the degradation started. 10 - 15 minutes maybe. When I went from guns area ( where the leftover of killed players is in a very dense area) to the BVR area (where the leftovers of killed players is less dense) the CPU frame time recovered. As soon as I went back to guns area frame time went back to the poor performance again. That means what ever causes the CPU frame time to degrade stays on the server the entire session.

-when I reconnect to the same server, go to the area that had bad performance, there is no initial performance loss. It just starts to add up again over time.

Another thing I tried was to replay the track and experienced the same CPU impact in the replay. I used the craters 1 kilobyte LOD files ( the user in the other thread above posted ) to see if that will affect the performance of the track replay. But the CPU impact was just different. But it changed. Maybe its not just craters that affect the issue but something else too. Tacview is not installed on my system.

I included in the ZIP my log files. dcs.log and DxDiag.txt. And both track replays. *_1 is the first session *_2 is the session after reconnect.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k723hz675unu5c7/20230427_track_log_dx.zip?dl=0

@BIGNEWYIf you please could have another look into it. MT is such a relief on CPU frame time, but if it degrades over time it does not help. I am willing to help as much as possible. We are so close to having DCS perform as good as any VR user ever dreamed of.

Edited by darkman222