Bombing targeting practice FW190a8

jackd

I used the default instant action (FW A8 airfield attack) as being quite useful for bomb practicing with the ships along the shore.

Now is there a trick for bomb aiming as there seems no bombing assist tool. I keep missing, only once i hit something.

Good sport BTW for flying practice. Is that bomb fusing diving selector always needed? OV and or MV?

Can you set them to auto somewhere?

I believe, yes, you always have to select a fuse for your bomb according to your desired target and drop method. No auto-nothing, this is WWII stuff.

About bombing, I know It's not 190, but reticle is the same so reference is also the same obviously. The thing is IRL you have tables with speed, dive angles and so, there are no quick solutions for all situations, I'm afraid. But as a quick reference in sims in an "average" dive, I find lower part of the reticle cross is a good reference for bombing, or even awaiting until target disappears under the reflector glass as you can see here, it only depends on your dive angle and speed,

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

All of them are fighters, at first, all of them can carry bombs though A8 is closer to a ground pounder with the variety of weapons available.

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

i recommend you to practice first with low alttitude drop with longer delay fuse(3sec or more)

once you set the fuse 

roll in to the traget at 30-45 degree angle(any more than that will make you crash in to the traget well you can do that too if you so desire)

about at 300m-400m  when the target cross your aiming point(where the bottom of your recticle and nose meets)

you drop the bomb and exit 

this will help you to develop the sense when you should drop at what angle in what alttitude

if you perfect this 

later then you can hit the target aobve 600m meteres with 50ms short delay or instant fuse setting 

which is safe alttitude from shockwave and sharpnels from your own bomb

some veteran luftwaffe pilot who flew the fw190 over eastern front once said in interview that it was so hard to drop the bomb accurately over the traget from above

that they use the skipping method instead to hit the tank(t-34)

they flew almost right above the ground(50m or so)

and approaching from where they are faced to the t-34's side

and drop the bomb in short distance from the target(maybe 300m away from the t-34 or less)

then their bomb would hit the ground first and ricochettd to t-34's side 

you can't do this in dcs since DCS doens't allow for the bombs to be ricochetted from the ground unfortunately

asdasd.jpg

Edited by noelgallagher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the picture :clap_2: . @jackdthat represents exactly this,

On 4/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, Ala13_ManOWar said:

… But as a quick reference in sims in an "average" dive, I find lower part of the reticle cross is a good reference for bombing, or even awaiting until target disappears under the reflector glass as you can see here, it only depends on your dive angle and speed …

Definitely better explained with a picture :thumbup: . Hope it works for you.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Thanks for the picture :clap_2: . @jackdthat represents exactly this,

Definitely better explained with a picture :thumbup: . Hope it works for you.

"even awaiting until target disappears under the reflector glass as you can see here"

this is also important note to aware 

it all depends on speed,angle,distance from the traget,height from the traget,wind direction ETC

you gotta develope your 6th sense in such a way that you gotta caculate all these factors all at once while you are diving in to the target 🙃

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 5:52 PM, noelgallagher said:

"even awaiting until target disappears under the reflector glass as you can see here"

this is also important note to aware 

it all depends on speed,angle,distance from the traget,height from the traget,wind direction ETC

you gotta develope your 6th sense in such a way that you gotta caculate all these factors all at once while you are diving in to the target 🙃

No the sight method does not work with all SC bombs because they are originally not in line with the sight they are pointed away even from the long axis. The best method I found is to skip bomb at a very low altitude at a preset speed. That gives predictable and repeatable results. Do not use dive tables because the sight is 

1- fixed

2- not depressible.

also do not use 45 and 30 becaue you have no way in the pit or on the etched to perfectly hit said angles. That is just a ruse these guys type to make it more difficult.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.