Cloud detail setting question

I'd like to know what the technical difference is between Standard and High cloud settings.

I've seen both performance and visual comparisons.  Visually, Low detail is clearly lower, and Ultra has a different and finer appearance, but the visual difference between Standard and High is nearly imperceptible. The performance difference between Standard and High is up to 8% frame rate, so of some significance.

I'm wondering if the technical difference is something like the number of bounces or line segment occlusion tests such that lighting or shading effects are noticeable only in specific situations, such as viewing from below or within cloud, or multiple layers of cloud. If so, I'd like to see compare the visual difference in situations where the difference can be appreciated.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
12 minutes ago, Bealdor said:

The manual is still based on DCS 2.5 and doesn't take the "new" 2.7 clouds into account unfortunately.

The doc says so but it's not entirely true. There are settings described that came later, ex. only with 2.7, like Clouds or Scenery Details Factor and more:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/2.7.0.4625/

And cloud pictures are most definitely from 2.7.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The specific question this thread asks is: What is the difference between Standard and High clouds?

There is an observable performance drop using High above Standard, but from my own tests, no noticeable difference in visual quality.

So any information, or screenshots that do show the difference between those two settings would be helpful.

Edited by DimSim
  • Like 2