CM3 Z Axis - Zoom

Heroman30

Hello,

I have received my CM3 throttle and I am in the process of configuring and setting it all up. I have researched and found that the Z axis on the right hand throttle grip is the best for the zoom feature. I am however, running into issues when assigning the Z axis with the zoom function in DCS.

The main concern is that the Z axis has a centre detent, and when the slider is placed in the centre detent within DCS it is really zoomed in. Is there any way to set a default zoom with the correct FOV without having to move it out of this detent as it can be really sensitive and fiddly? Can someone help and show how they have assigned this axis with zoom correctly? Thanks.

• Like 1

When you say 'really' zoomed in, how much are we talking about?  Post a screenshot.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 5/8/2023 at 10:09 PM, Heroman30 said:

Hello,

I have received my CM3 throttle and I am in the process of configuring and setting it all up. I have researched and found that the Z axis on the right hand throttle grip is the best for the zoom feature. I am however, running into issues when assigning the Z axis with the zoom function in DCS.

The main concern is that the Z axis has a centre detent, and when the slider is placed in the centre detent within DCS it is really zoomed in. Is there any way to set a default zoom with the correct FOV without having to move it out of this detent as it can be really sensitive and fiddly? Can someone help and show how they have assigned this axis with zoom correctly? Thanks.

Having had a CM3 for a couple of weeks now I have to say that particular slider is easily the weakest and cheapest feeling part of the product (or at least it is in the context of DCS and how its sometimes has dual purposes on some planes for some axes). You'd think it'd be useful for stuff like radar elevation or zooming but that centre detent and/or the short throw on it up and down just seems to screw up a lot of use cases. Admittedly DCS itself doesn't help sometimes (e.g. the F16 radar elevation axis mapping seems to expect a momentary axis to be used, so its actually quite hard to finely adjust with that particular slider).

FWIW in DCS I use the flaps lever axis for zoom and control actual flaps by other means (generally map one of the three on-off-on switches to step them up/down a notch).  For zoom control that axis is perfect (good range, no detent, easy to find & reach).

Edited by bfr

FWIW, I disagree. Having the detent makes that axis perfect for zoom as it’s easy to get back to the ‘normal’ zoom level. 

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

30 minutes ago, imacken said:

FWIW, I disagree. Having the detent makes that axis perfect for zoom as it’s easy to get back to the ‘normal’ zoom level. 

Same here - I added buttons and use the slider for both Regular VR Zoom and Spyglass VR Zoom. Center is normal view.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 minute ago, dburne said:

Same here - I added buttons and use the slider for both Regular VR Zoom and Spyglass VR Zoom. Center is normal view.

Yep, same here for VR. 

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Fair enough. I just found the slider a little too fiddly to be precise versus the longer throw (and lack of detent) on the flaps axis and didn't want the faff of fiddling with the axis settings in DCS to get an acceptable 'normal' for me at the detent. I'd love to swap it for something momentary if I had the time/means/skills to do it.

IMO, it’s not at all fiddly. Fits your finger perfectly with hands on, whereas taking hand off and going to flaps lever seems pretty clunky. 
I prefer using the flaps lever for flaps. 
But, as ever, each to their own. 

2 hours ago, imacken said:

IMO, it’s not at all fiddly. Fits your finger perfectly with hands on, whereas taking hand off and going to flaps lever seems pretty clunky. 
I prefer using the flaps lever for flaps. 
But, as ever, each to their own. 

I've got quite long digits so I can quite easily reach that lever with my thumb or forefinger (depending on where the throttle is advanced to) without my hand coming off the throttles. I like the idea of that finger slider, i'm just not a fan of how its been executed.

You can reach the flaps lever with a finger without taking your hand off the throttle?  Wow! That is something else.