I can't install the F/A-18C due to something dumb I did previously.

A month back or so I had the F/A-18C trial, and for some reason, I decided that I wanted to delete it. I am used to X-Plane and in X-Plane you delete aircraft and things through the actual files. I also didn't know that you could just delete things through the module manager in DCS. Also, I don't know if this is relevant but I have DCS 2.8 stable version. So when I was going to delete the aircraft I deleted the file in File Explorer. Earlier today I bought the F/A-18C for DCS World and it still hasn't appeared in the module manager in-game. I feel that I just wasted my money from my own stupidity and am not sure if there's any way to recover the module. Thanks.

TL;DR: I deleted the F/A-18C trial through the actual file in File Explorer, and I also just bought the F/A-18C and it isn't appearing in the module manager.

1 hour ago, JavaPilto said:

and am not sure if there's any way to recover the module

I’d try to run a DCS repair, it should detect any missing files and download the correct versions. To do the repair there are several ways, I feel comfortable with the command line, so I just open a windows command prompt, change to the dcs program folder (usually at c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world/bin/ ) and once there run the command:

dcs_updater repair

once it is repaired, run DCS and go to the module manager, it should have the hornet again. The trial version is the exact same as a purchased one, the difference is on your user account, not on the didk.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

38 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

I’d try to run a DCS repair, it should detect any missing files and download the correct versions. To do the repair there are several ways, I feel comfortable with the command line, so I just open a windows command prompt, change to the dcs program folder (usually at c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world/bin/ ) and once there run the command:

dcs_updater repair

once it is repaired, run DCS and go to the module manager, it should have the hornet again. The trial version is the exact same as a purchased one, the difference is on your user account, not on the didk.

I have been looking on how to open a windows command prompt in the c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world/bin/ folder for about the past 30 minutes, but haven't been able to figure it out haha. I'm not the best with computers, sorry.

12 minutes ago, JavaPilto said:

I have been looking on how to open a windows command prompt in the c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world/bin/ folder for about the past 30 minutes, but haven't been able to figure it out haha. I'm not the best with computers, sorry.

here are more details about the use of dcs_updater … its a powerful utility, well worth the effort to learn about it.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600 - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia RTX2080 - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Ownership of the module is tied to your ED account, not the actual files; you haven't done anything beyond repair. Most likely the game thinks you have the module still installed due to your deleting the files manually.

As Rudel suggests, a repair should solve the issue. You can either perform this using the command prompt, or if you elected to allow DCS to create start menu shortcuts you should find a "Repair DCS World" shortcut there.

To run the command manually, navigate to the c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world/bin/ using file explorer. Hold the shift key, and right click inside the folder - you will see an option in the menu - "Open PowerShell window here"

When the window opens, type in (minus the quotes)

".\DCS_updater.exe repair"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, feefifofum said:

Ownership of the module is tied to your ED account, not the actual files; you haven't done anything beyond repair. Most likely the game thinks you have the module still installed due to your deleting the files manually.

As Rudel suggests, a repair should solve the issue. You can either perform this using the command prompt, or if you elected to allow DCS to create start menu shortcuts you should find a "Repair DCS World" shortcut there.

To run the command manually, navigate to the c:/program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world/bin/ using file explorer. Hold the shift key, and right click inside the folder - you will see an option in the menu - "Open PowerShell window here"

When the window opens, type in (minus the quotes)

".\DCS_updater.exe repair"

I repaired DCS and still don't get the module available in the module manager. I either did the repair wrong or it just didn't work. If I can't figure it out I think I'll just have to do a full redownload of DCS World.

10 minutes ago, feefifofum said:

Are you able to fly the aircraft? You would not need to use the module manager to download anything, since you ostensibly just restored the deleted F/A-18 files.

The F/A-18 should appear in the "Installed" tab of the module manager.

No, I'm not able to fly the aircraft nor does it appear in the "Installed" tab of the module manager. I probably did something wrong during the repair.

2 hours ago, JavaPilto said:

No, I'm not able to fly the aircraft nor does it appear in the "Installed" tab of the module manager. I probably did something wrong during the repair.

Oh - and just to confirm - did you buy through steam, or DCS World/ED Directly?

If directly:

Can you log onto the dcs website and look at your account and confirm that you have the module there?

If so - can you then go into DCS, log out from your account (Top right icon if I recall correctly - I'm not at my DCS PC right now). Close and then restart DCS. You should be asked to log back in. Make sure you log in with the credentials you used on the website, and advise if this fixes the issue?

If steam - I'm not sure if Steam has a repair function but you may need to run that separately. IDK how steam works

9 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Oh - and just to confirm - did you buy through steam, or DCS World/ED Directly?

If directly:

Can you log onto the dcs website and look at your account and confirm that you have the module there?

If so - can you then go into DCS, log out from your account (Top right icon if I recall correctly - I'm not at my DCS PC right now). Close and then restart DCS. You should be asked to log back in. Make sure you log in with the credentials you used on the website, and advise if this fixes the issue?

If steam - I'm not sure if Steam has a repair function but you may need to run that separately. IDK how steam works

It wasn't able to fix the issue. I do have the ED version, not Steam. DCS thinks that I have the module even though I don't because I deleted the file but it thinks that it is still there.