About tracks

Moxica

I don't have any problems, but I'm just curious:
Are tracks rendered in real time during playback?
If so, how can they diagnose performance issues if played on a different rig?
How are they useful, when they dont play the same as the actual mission/flight?
(One of my tracks had me landing on a totally different spot than actual flight, for example
Another had me chrashing into a tree right after takeoff, which did not happen during flight)

Edited by Moxica
  • Thanks 1

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

All reports I have read indicate that tracks do nothing more than record your inputs. Track playback then repeats the inputs. Obviously small differences in timing and/or in capture of inputs can lead to a large cumulative error even when played back on the same system as the one where the track was recorded. It's a known problem with track files. They work only for simple, short flights.

Ironically, tracks worked much better in DCS predecessor software such as Flanker. Presumably lower polling rates for the inputs explain this. However even in those legacy systems even small updates to the simulation software (e.g. tweak to a flight model) would break existing track files because a given set of inputs would then have different implied outcomes in the simulation.

I suspect the evolution of multi-threading will break track files further. Suppose for example that the polling of inputs occurs in a different thread from (and thus partially out of sync from) modeling of AI behavior. That will lead to further problems with the timing of inputs no longer matching up with other elements of the game during playback.  The whole system probably will need to be rewritten from scratch, or else scrapped. It worked well in legacy systems (which answers the question of why it exists even though it doesn't work well), but it is basically useless today except perhaps to show bugs in very short, artificial demonstrations.

Edited by sthompson
Added additional thoughts
  • Like 2

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

1 hour ago, sthompson said:

tracks do nothing more than record your inputs.

Actually, the track also contains a copy of the mission file, this makes it easier to reproduce a reported issue and you can tell if the mission included any user mod.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

Actually, the track also contains a copy of the mission file, this makes it easier to reproduce a reported issue and you can tell if the mission included any user mod.

Good point. And that explains why they are sometimes too large to upload to the forums for even a short flight.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

In that case, it should be enough to link to the mission, if it is downloaded from the user files section. Or if it is one of the default ones.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar

52 minutes ago, Moxica said:

it should be enough to link to the mission

Many users run DCS using their own custom missions, not necesarily available on the web.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

6 hours ago, Moxica said:

I don't have any problems, but I'm just curious:
Are tracks rendered in real time during playback?

Yes, the run in the sim engine based on your inputs and use seeds for random events.

If so, how can they diagnose performance issues if played on a different rig?

The track should play the same on any computer. While DCS tracks are bugged, not all of them break.

How are they useful, when they dont play the same as the actual mission/flight?

They do play out the same, sometimes. In the cases where they don't inputs can still be useful, and some idea of what happened can still be gained from an incorrect track.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

17 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Many users run DCS using their own custom missions, not necesarily available on the web.

Orly?

21 hours ago, Moxica said:

(One of my tracks had me landing on a totally different spot than actual flight, for example
Another had me chrashing into a tree right after takeoff, which did not happen during flight)

Did you use time acceleration during those flights? Because that always breaks the tracks (although they are already broken by deafult)🙄 

4 hours ago, AKULA_OPTIMUS said:

Did you use time acceleration during those flights? Because that always breaks the tracks (although they are already broken by deafult)🙄 

Nope. They just played it wrong. Very strange, because it was my first landing in a tight spot with AH-64, and the replay landed on the other side of the road with plenty of space.  🙂

3 hours ago, Moxica said:

…Very strange, because it was my first landing in a tight spot with AH-64, and the replay landed on the other side of the road with plenty of space.  🙂

It landed? So it got it half right… 🙂

• Like 1

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.