Apple's new headset ?

MNissen

Apple VR Headset - good for DCS?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Apple VR Headset - good for DCS?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

I can't imagine wearing 650 + grams with just a band around the head for lengthy periods, regardless of the facial padding and stock strap design  

That's about the same as the QP. Whilst it's not ideal the QP is quite well balanced and you don't really feel it. Unfortunately the AVP is just another concept test. I think it will move XR forward in leaps and bounds, but the definitive version is a generation or two away. For DCS PCVR it really needs a thunderbolt port. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

7 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

yeah, qpro is ok just resting on forehead, but i wish the displays/lenses could tilt downward a bit further

You can angle the QP down so the face plate touches your face. That increases your fov if that's what you meant. 

yep that's it, but I can't quite get it to just the right position because the front of the headset moves downward onto my nose. Flipping the rear padding upside down helps a little but I've got to remember to prop up the back of the headset while charging on the dock otherwise the pins don't make contact. I wish it pivoted at the front end of the straps

6 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

yep that's it, but I can't quite get it to just the right position because the front of the headset moves downward onto my nose. Flipping the rear padding upside down helps a little but I've got to remember to prop up the back of the headset while charging on the dock otherwise the pins don't make contact. I wish it pivoted at the front end of the straps

It took me a while too. I find that tilted forward it pinches my nose so I set the pupil distance to 68 (I'm 63) and this helps. It also increases the fov a little bit and I don't notice any issues with focus. I use prescription lenses from my old rift s taped into place so these dig into my face a bit. I'm going to get some new lenses once I have my eyes tested again. You can get some with rounded edges which should be more comfy. I also have a third party mask which helps with comfort as well. It takes a bit of the pressure of my cheek bones. 

Unless I don't fully understand Apple's tech specs (which is possible), I don't understand the generally negative reaction to Apple's Vision Pro.

For sure, I will not buy one because it is tied to Apple's own OS and cannot be used for DCS. But that is not the point. Instead let's see the positive technology developments for what they are and hope that the rest of the VR industry will start to adapt some of the solutions used by Apple:

• Micro OLED screens that I've read have been supplied by Sony. So OLED (Sony / Apple) > QLED (Pimax Crystal) > mini LED (Varjo XR-4). I hope that Apple does not have exclusivity on Sony's mini OLEDs. Even though they will probably hover up demand for them over the time being.
  • Use of mobile chips to enable in unit processing of eye and external tracking.
  • Useable video pass through of the outdoor environment. This could be very useful for VR DCS pilots needing to fiddle with home cockpits or keyboards.
  • I've not had the opportunity to try the Apple headset myself, but I imagine that they've done a nice job on the eye tracking which with DFR will allow next generation video cards to keep up with the ppd and FOV demands of next generation mini screens.
  • A massive jump in build quality. And while I don't expect the PC consumer electronics industry to start making things as well as Apple, hopefully they can learn a few things from Apple's approach without making the headsets too heavy
  • Better quality optical lenses compared to what we've been used to so far.

Does anyone know if WiFi 7 will enable video feeds between headsets and PC at anything decent enough image density, refresh rate and latency? I imagine not, but I wonder if this is something for the future too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

7 hours ago, Steel Jaw said:

if its Apple, you can count on it being hideously overpriced.

VR technology is advancing very fast. There is a large premium attached to cutting edge technology. Therefore you see disparities like the $500 Quest Q3 as affordable, second tier (but still very decent) technology. And you see products like Varjo XR-4 at €10,000 if you want the full DFR and eye-tracking version. Certainly in comparison to the Varjo, Apple's Vision Pro looks to be both more impressive screen, external and internal tracking technology and more reasonable price at $3,500. (Plus it has an M2 iPad computer OS operating inside it for those that actually have a desire for that).

Edited by Waxer

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

$3500..."reasonable", okay sure.

Well the first Mac was $7,000, so… but yeah the price of this thing coming when it does kinda puts it in an awkward place. 

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

VR technology is advancing very fast. There is a large premium attached to cutting edge technology. Therefore you see disparities like the $500 Quest Q3 as affordable, second tier (but still very decent) technology. And you see products like Varjo XR-4 at €10,000 if you want the full DFR and eye-tracking version. Certainly in comparison to the Varjo, Apple's Vision Pro looks to be both more impressive screen, external and internal tracking technology and more reasonable price at $3,500. (Plus it has an M2 iPad computer OS operating inside it for those that actually have a desire for that).
I am que curious about Varjo XR-4, which I will get to try most probably end of March.

I hope that they have improved the lenses and get them to at least Q3 Level. I have tried extensively the XR-3 and the lenses are way worse than the Qpro or Q3. It's are also a much older headset, of course.

I tried the AVP last week, but only for five minutes and I was not that impressed, specially by the passthrough, which is supposed to be the killer feature.

For DCS, I would be happy if we could get a Q3 with eye tracking and a display port for PCVR.

All the things that we need for the perfect 2024 PC-VR headset, are already available in the market, but not together in the same headset.

I am eager to get the first DCS users reviews of the Somnium VR1

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcenzano said:

For DCS, I would be happy if we could get a Q3 with eye tracking and a display port for PCVR.

Oh yes!

3 hours ago, jcenzano said:

All the things that we need for the perfect 2024 PC-VR headset, are already available in the market, but not together in the same headset.

PCVR is still very niche and meta/apple are focusing on stand alone VR and augmented reality so I’m not sure if we will ever see a perfect and affordable headset with a DP. 

DP connectivity, high res display, eye tracking? Hope this year Pimax 12K could be released without those short-comes as Crystal has. Bulky & weight is still something they should consider to improve. If they did well, a price tag of $2000 won’t be too hard to swallow as this PCVR market is so niche. 

7800X3D /3090 /64GB /SSD 2T+4T /Quest3<-(Pico4<-Rift S <-Rift CV1) /Orion F18 /DOFReality P6; Win11

On 2/24/2024 at 9:59 AM, Waxer said:

Certainly in comparison to the Varjo... more reasonable price at $3,500.

On 2/25/2024 at 3:04 AM, Steel Jaw said:

$3500..."reasonable", okay sure.

I said "more reasonable" in comparison to the €10,000 Varjo XR-4. Not just "reasonable". You misquoted me. Are you a politician by any chance? Justin Trudeau... is that you?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]