Special Settings Revert to Default with Deactivation

Over the past month I have ran into two occurrences of DCS servers not working that caused all my modules to be deactivated upon attempt to launch DCS.  Although concerning to not be able to use the modules that I have rightfully paid for, the bigger annoyance is that in both occurrences it seems to have wiped my 'special' settings for all deactivated modules.  Anyone else experience this?  Is this a bug to be addressed?

• Like 1

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, I've never seen my theme reset before. Ever. What does an authentication fiasco have to do with a setting saved in Saved Games is beyond me. Yet here we are.
If you have authentication problems, you will only get the included free modules, and the theme will then be reset, because you don't "own" the currently selected theme. So that's not a bug.

Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Not dissing on you.

No problem on the diss..... I have been following the login troubles posts since last night when I ran into them again.  My post above isn't about that per say, but the (hopefully) unintended consequences of the incident where my settings got reset to default (even after authentication started working again).  I get that my modules will be deactivated if authentication fails, but I do not see any reason to "nuke" my settings for these modules as once the servers are back and auth is working I would expect to be able to take off where I left my settings.

• Like 3

~Thump.

Computer Specs:

i7-6700K@4.00GHz, 32GB, 850 EVO 1TB, GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung Odyssey VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/9/2023 at 9:22 AM, MAXsenna said:

If you have authentication problems, you will only get the included free modules, and the theme will then be reset, because you don't "own" the currently selected theme. So that's not a bug.

Cheers!

It may not be a bug, but it doesn't make it a non issue. When they decertify the purchased modules because the authentication server is messed up and it clears your special settings.  The settings don't need to be part of the authentication.  Who cares if you have settings for modules you can't fly.  They should only be removed from a repair or deleting them from an issue. 

• Like 2

It may not be a bug, but it doesn't make it a non issue. When they decertify the purchased modules because the authentication server is messed up and it clears your special settings.  The settings don't need to be part of the authentication.  Who cares if you have settings for modules you can't fly.  They should only be removed from a repair or deleting them from an issue. 

Oh, I agree!I only commented on the theme being lost actually. It has always been like that, but I have never lost settings, and I have a feeling it's somehow related.
But you're correct. I should have commented in more elaborate terms.
The settings are stored in the Saved Games, and the last DCS account used will overwrite the settings like the theme for the current Windows user, and even the special settings. But not control setting IIRC.
In any case I assume this is exactly what happened. An "unknown" user got logged in and wiped all the settings.
I don't really consider this a "bug", but poorly designed that did not ancipate this, and hence wasn't tested for.
My thoughts and opinions.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Forgot to mention, though it shouldn't be necessary. Take a backup of the Saved Games folder before every update.
Or move/mirror it to a cloud service that can revert the changes per file in some versions.

Cheers!

15 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Forgot to mention, though it shouldn't be necessary. Take a backup of the Saved Games folder before every update.
Or move/mirror it to a cloud service that can revert the changes per file in some versions.

Cheers!

OR, you know, we could expect them to make this issue a non issue.   The bigger this community gets, the more these things will need to be automated for the player, or changed so the player doesn't have to fix it.  I am not here to argue with how much more, I as a consumer, can do to play this game hassle free.  This is just a small issue that if not corrected will eventually become a thing again years later, when this happens again.  

Why wouldn't the community want it to be a non issue.  The forums are already congested enough with real issues.  Why make this non issue a "thing" to address any time this happens again?  Just change it to work smarter instead of expecting everyone else to work harder.  If ED wants this to be a simulator game in the future, its going to be all the little things they can't keep up with. 

As a customer, when I think about all the modules with game breaking bugs, manuals not updated to current EA version of the module, training missions not working, some ED modules sold with a bunch of training missions while another similar module doesn't come with anything.  WW2 is completely without direction or a plan.  The European theatre has had 3 maps of the same area and we are getting a Mediterranean map in the future.  But, the other aspect isn't even close to being fleshed out.  Asset are required to play certain eras of planes.  Other eras aren't fleshed out.  The AI is abysmal in almost every regard.  Content creators have to recode complete campaigns for small base changes to DCS.

These are the things I notice from DCS from looking at it from the outside.  While, sure we are having a lot of great improvements and I think ED is full of really passionate people.  But, the mentality that we think they can be anything but a niche while still having huge game breaking bugs with almost everything outside the cockpit and a lot inside it.

This is a simple fix to prevent your customers from getting frustrated.  Frustrated customers leave.  Frustrated customers come to the forums and complain and it triggers everyone that has been here a long time and learned DCS over the years while it worked and slowly learned how to work within its broken bits.  But, for a new player, its just broke now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CageyLobster said:

If ED wants this to be a simulator game in the future, its going to be all the little things they can't keep up with.

Whoa, ED makes simulators for 30 years and if you can't keep up with a few settings, you'll have much more trouble becoming decent pilot in study sim.

I already linked the bug report, so what's your problem again?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Whoa, ED makes simulators for 30 years and if you can't keep up with a few settings, you'll have much more trouble becoming decent pilot in study sim.

I already linked the bug report, so what's your problem again?

Did I reply to you?

Edit:  I was having a conversation with someone else.  Do you have an issue with this discussion? 

Edited by CageyLobster

@CageyLobster
I agree! I just pointed out that there are ways to "protect" your setup for people that are unaware, in case this will happen again.
These "small" issues, should absolutely be fixed by ED.
I'm an IT Systems Administrator. We don't "mind" problems. We just want to know how to fix them. Users don't want problems at all.

Please refresh my mind, it's pretty blank about that Mediterranean WWII map, and now you got me curious.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

@CageyLobster
I agree! I just pointed out that there are ways to "protect" your setup for people that are unaware, in case this will happen again.
These "small" issues, should absolutely be fixed by ED.
I'm an IT Systems Administrator. We don't "mind" problems. We just want to know how to fix them. Users don't want problems at all.

Please refresh my mind, it's pretty blank about that Mediterranean WWII map, and now you got me curious.

Cheers!

I really appreciate that.  I am well aware of how to work around a number of bugs within DCS.  I have been playing since 2008 or 2009.  I just didn't want the talk to revolve around how easy it is for the consumer to fix, when I don't think any of us should be working around this issue.  I don't want ED to think I'm ok working around this.  We already work around enough in my opinion and this is an easy QoL for the users.

• Like 1

I really appreciate that.  I am well aware of how to work around a number of bugs within DCS.  I have been playing since 2008 or 2009.  I just didn't want the talk to revolve around how easy it is for the consumer to fix, when I don't think any of us should be working around this issue.  I don't want ED to think I'm ok working around this.  We already work around enough in my opinion and this is an easy QoL for the users.
Sure!

Now, what about that map?

• Like 1