Freeze after Takeoff

Since the last update (OpenBETa 2.8.6.41066.1,) i cannot play any longer. First I want to state, that until now the game ran smooth without problems since months.

Now I fire up my f18 on the carrier rolling to the catapult, and as soon i am of the deck the game freezes. No Crash just freeze to 5 frames per minute.

Anyone have an Idea?

Edited by last1976

i7-6700K / Msi Z170 Board / Kingston 32GB DDR4 / Msi GeForce GTX 980 4G / BQ STRAIGHT POWER 10 CM 700W / Fractal Define R5 Black / Alpenföhn "Brocken 2" / Samsung m2 980 Pro 1TB/ WD Blue 2TB / Windows 10 Pro

Thanks. I see a few errors in your mods:

2023-06-11 07:45:24.048 INFO    SOUND (Main): Added sound path: C:\Users\Lars Strobel\Saved Games\DCS\Mods/tech/ECHO19_FA18/Sounds
2023-06-11 07:45:24.596 ERROR   ED_SOUND (Main): can't open proto file "/sounds/32/sdef/aircrafts/fa-18/canopyclose_in.sdef"
2023-06-11 07:45:24.596 ERROR   ED_SOUND (Main): failed to load sdef Aircrafts/FA-18/CanopyClose_In referenced in /sounds/32/sdef/aircrafts/fa-18/cockpit/canopyopen_in.sdef

2023-06-11 08:04:23.642 ERROR   Lua::Config (Main): Call error LuaExportAfterNextFrame:[string "C:\Users\Lars Strobel\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts/TheWay.lua"]:126: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	[C]: ?
	[string "C:\Users\Lars Strobel\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts/TheWay.lua"]:126: in function <[string "C:\Users\Lars Strobel\Saved Games\DCS\Scripts/TheWay.lua"]:112>.

You also have a rather small amount of pagefile (4GB with 32GB of RAM), but your settings seem to be reasonable.

I suggest you run a DCS cleanup and repair to begin with. Choose the "slow" mode.

If it doesn't solve your issue, rename your" Saved Games/DCS..." folder to "DCS.bak" (do NOT delete this folder, you'll need it back, or ar least part of it), then restart DCS.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

the pagefile setting you can see on the attache picture, the used harddrive for it is an ssd. You suggest setting the pagefile on manual up to 32000mb? 
The other suggestion of you I will try.

settings.JPG

Edited by last1976

i7-6700K / Msi Z170 Board / Kingston 32GB DDR4 / Msi GeForce GTX 980 4G / BQ STRAIGHT POWER 10 CM 700W / Fractal Define R5 Black / Alpenföhn "Brocken 2" / Samsung m2 980 Pro 1TB/ WD Blue 2TB / Windows 10 Pro

For now, I suggest you first try the repair and the Saved Games/DCS folder renaming.

If it doesn't work, yes I suggest these settings:

• init size: 32768 (32GB)
  • max size: 32768 (32GB)

I'm not sure it has anything to do with memory because I see no sign of memory issue in your log, which is why I think you should only consider it if the two first steps don't help.

В 10.06.2023 в 21:59, last1976 сказал:

Since the last update (OpenBETa 2.8.6.41066.1,) i cannot play any longer. First I want to state, that until now the game ran smooth without problems since months.

Now I fire up my f18 on the carrier rolling to the catapult, and as soon i am of the deck the game freezes. No Crash just freeze to 5 frames per minute.

Anyone have an Idea?

Read Gryzor attached post. Try to switch radar after takeoff to AG mode. 

On 6/11/2023 at 12:34 PM, Flappie said:

For now, I suggest you first try the repair and the Saved Games/DCS folder renaming.

If it doesn't work, yes I suggest these settings:

• init size: 32768 (32GB)
  • max size: 32768 (32GB)

I'm not sure it has anything to do with memory because I see no sign of memory issue in your log, which is why I think you should only consider it if the two first steps don't help.

I have done the cleanup and repair so far, not deleted saved games folder. Same Problem no difference, but as I allready had fired up the game, I selected again my f-18 on carrier, did the same startup without turning on radar. And that was it, super smooth like it has always been.

First Question: Does it still make sense to do the steps with deleting the game folder and if not.
Second Question: Is there a solution available to this allready?

3 hours ago, last1976 said:

First Question: Does it still make sense to do the steps with deleting the game folder and if not.
Second Question: Is there a solution available to this allready?

Do NOT delete anything. Data contained in your "Saved Games/DCS..." folder is precious: your custom controls, your campaign progress and many other things are inside this folder.

All you have to do is:

1. Browse to "Saved Games".
  2. Rename your "DCS..." folder to "DCS.bak".
  3. Start DCS then enter your login.
  4. Try to reproduce the freeze and then report back here.

No other solution for now since we don't know what causes your issue. If you do these 4 steps, maybe we'll learn something.

33 минуты назад, Flappie сказал:

Do NOT delete anything. Data contained in your "Saved Games/DCS..." folder is precious: your custom controls, your campaign progress and many other things are inside this folder.

All you have to do is:

1. Browse to "Saved Games".
  2. Rename your "DCS..." folder to "DCS.bak".
  3. Start DCS then enter your login.
  4. Try to reproduce the freeze and then report back here.

No other solution for now since we don't know what causes your issue. If you do these 4 steps, maybe we'll learn something.

Done what you asked. Syria F/A-18. As soon as map is loaded begins huge fps drop, after several seconds freeze stops, switching to AG mode everything runs normally. FPS drop occurs mainly when performing maneuvers. Switching back to AA and stutters reappear until AA mode is switched off. Clean install no mods were used. That problem occurs just after updating to current OB. Tried A-10c and Apache no problems detected. GPU drivers updated. Antivirus stopped. Graphic settings set to Low. 

Sorry for interruption, i think this is the same problem.

FPS DROP F18 SYRIA.trk

Edited by stonewall197922

On 6/12/2023 at 11:46 PM, stonewall197922 said:

Done what you asked. Syria F/A-18. As soon as map is loaded begins huge fps drop, after several seconds freeze stops, switching to AG mode everything runs normally. FPS drop occurs mainly when performing maneuvers. Switching back to AA and stutters reappear until AA mode is switched off. Clean install no mods were used. That problem occurs just after updating to current OB. Tried A-10c and Apache no problems detected. GPU drivers updated. Antivirus stopped. Graphic settings set to Low. 

Sorry for interruption, i think this is the same problem.

FPS DROP F18 SYRIA.trk 151.3 kB · 1 download

Thank you for the track. I see no big FPS drops while replaying your track:

stonewall-flappie.pg.png

(pancake 3440x1440 - AMD 3700X - 32GB of RAM with 32 GB pagefile on SSD - 1080 Ti - I'm 100% GPU bound according to DCS )

options.lua

Edited by Flappie

8 часов назад, Flappie сказал:

(pancake 3440x1440 - AMD 3700X - 32GB of RAM with 32 GB pagefile on SSD - 1080 Ti - I'm 100% GPU bound according to DCS )

Can you give your ssd specs? DCS and page file located at the same drive or not? I begining to think that something is loaded from drive after AA radar mode is engaged.

Here you go:

Drive: C: (SYSTEM)
 Free Space: 46.7 GB
Total Space: 228.0 GB
File System: NTFS
      Model: INTEL SSDSC2CT240A4

Drive: D:
 Free Space: 318.3 GB
Total Space: 953.9 GB
      Model: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Drive: E: (DCS - no pagefile on E:)
 Free Space: 190.7 GB
Total Space: 1907.7 GB
      Model: Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB

wmic pagefile list /format:list

AllocatedBaseSize=32768
CurrentUsage=0
Description=D:\pagefile.sys
InstallDate=20230315232800.065454+060
Name=D:\pagefile.sys
PeakUsage=0
Status=
TempPageFile=FALSE

EDIT: I just discovered Windows moved my pagefile to my D:\ drive.

Edited by Flappie

2 minutes ago, stonewall197922 said:

I suspect the problem is there. 

It certainly is.

DCS has so much files it needs to access in flight that a SSD is highly recommended.

HDDs are a thing of the past. Of course they are cheap, but they're expensive in terms of performance if I may say so.

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

It certainly is.

DCS has so much files it needs to access in flight that a SSD is highly recommended.

HDDs are a thing of the past. Of course they are cheap, but they're expensive in terms of performance if I may say so.

That´s not my case Flappie

I have DCS World in a SSD M2 2TB (Sabrent Rocket) runing at 5000 MB/S in C:, and my pagefile (size of 32GB) is located in other ssd (witch is not a M2, but SATA 500MB/S Samsung EVO 570 2TB). What I noticed in one of my testing the last night: if I limit my FPS to only 60 frames per second with nvidia inspector, the stuttering is minimal - all time graph shows GPU bounded, even with AA radar - (maybe BN that´s one of the reason about you don´t have stutters with your 1080ti... because you´re everytime GPU bounded and your CPU never is saturated).

But ... with FPS limited to 120 fps, at 4K and maximum detail (near 120 fps sustained in many missions), I have huge framedrops  from 120 to spikes of 10-20 fps.. even pauses... with text showing CPU BOUNDED. Happens only if I select AA radar. Not with radar OFF or radar in AG mode. Only F-16 and F-18. Other planes like F-14, Mirage 2000, JF-17 ... radar and sim works as ever, without any stuttering.

What I noticed also in my test is that if I play the stuttering tracks in SP DCS version, the stuttering even is bigger that with MT version.

Something wrong was introduced in code in the latest open beta patch. It would be quite interesting if someone can put some graphs comparing FPS hit, BUT with high end PCs.

Edited by Gryzor

7 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

That´s not my case BN.

There's only one BIGNEWY, and that's not me. 😉 I'm called Flappie, hi!

So you're CPU bound. That's a good indication. Have you ensured your CPU power is not limited by some Windows setting? Try using the High/Max performance power plan. And if that doesn't work, try disabling Windows Power service. It worked for some. See here:

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flappie said:

There's only one BIGNEWY, and that's not me. 😉 I'm called Flappie, hi!

So you're CPU bound. That's a good indication. Have you ensured your CPU power is not limited by some Windows setting? Try using the High/Max performance power plan. And if that doesn't work, try disabling Windows Power service. It worked for some. See here:

Sorry Flappie, edited my other thread 😉. CPU power is not limited, power plan is at max performance (nvidia and windows settings). If reverted DCS to the previous beta one and I had no stutters with AA radar in F-18 or F-16... so I´m sure that is not my PC. Even I have the minimum apps installed in W10 just to have maximum performance (no antivirus, no other apps running at background... only the necessary).

Hallo Flappie,

if gone now through all of your suggestions. But the Problem stays. I managed to kind of get my sim flyable, for example if I turn down preload radius to 100, the spikes, freezes are not this massive anymore.
But I want to point out they are still there. And they are clearly bound to the AA Radar. If i turn it of or press silent I have smooth fps graphs, in the moment I turn it on i gets weird. i dont know how much the AA Radar is supposed to consume fps or be a mentionable load on Hardware, but it seems to me something is of since the last patch.

I hope you guys will take a look at it, because right now it seems to be a mess. 

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

I still cannot reproduce the FPS drops when the radar is turned one.

Can everyone here please attach your Export.lua files? (from "Saved Games/DCS.../Scripts")

I don´t have that file in my user config

I have no script folder either. I think after renaming the saved Games folder. Cleanup and repair it is supposed to be like that. No Mods installed yet

Alright, then it's not caused by an Export script.

11 minutes ago, last1976 said:

I have no script folder either. I think after renaming the saved Games folder. Cleanup and repair it is supposed to be like that. No Mods installed yet

Cleanup and repair only messes with your main game folder ("/DCS World/ or /DCS World OpenBeta/"), not with your "Saved Games/DCS..." folder.

Can you please both attach your dxdiag.log file? To make one, use this guide: https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Obtaining-a-DXDIAG-log-for-diagnostics-and-troubleshooting-issues-with-graphic-cards.html