Two totally unrelated questions

brettt777

Just got the Eagle last night. I'm still in the process of setting up my Winwing HOTAS for this one. Two questions so far...

- I saw no A/G missile selections for the load out. I'm guessing that's coming later...? Cuz the Eagle is certainly capable of carrying pretty much any ordinance we have.

- I can't get any returns on the A/G radar. It's in RBM mode, gain is up, out of standby, and in the 40 mile range. Also, antenna is pointed straight ahead, flying at about 5K. 

- Also just curious if the F-15 E stick grip is the same as the Hornet grip. Both aircraft built by MD/Boeing.

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

:joystick::pilotfly:

4 minutes ago, brettt777 said:

Just got the Eagle last night. I'm still in the process of setting up my Winwing HOTAS for this one. Two questions so far...

- I saw no A/G missile selections for the load out. I'm guessing that's coming later...? Cuz the Eagle is certainly capable of carrying pretty much any ordinance we have.

- I can't get any returns on the A/G radar. It's in RBM mode, gain is up, out of standby, and in the 40 mile range. Also, antenna is pointed straight ahead, flying at about 5K. 

- Also just curious if the F-15 E stick grip is the same as the Hornet grip. Both aircraft built by MD/Boeing.

The US Air Force F-15E doesn't really carry any AG missiles that I can think of other than the AGM-130, which I think is coming later in the early access period. The Maverick and HARM aren't really used by the 'E', although it has been tested with the Maverick.

I haven't had any problems getting radar returns, so not sure I can help there.

The grip is the same in layout as the Hornet grip. They aren't exactly the same, but they are very, very similar.

29 minutes ago, brettt777 said:

Are you sure you made that MFD SOI?

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Actually, no I'm not. I'll give that a try.

I7 4790K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z97S SLI+, 32GB HyperX 2400 DDR3, GeForce RTX-3060ti 8GB DDR6, Rosewill 80plus Bronze 1000w, Corsair Hydro H100i, Intel 160GB SSD for OS, Seagate Barracuda 2TB, Intel 1TB SSD for DCS, P3D, Star Citizen, Sound Blaster Zx, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I, Logitech G940 FFB stick, dual throttle & pedals, TrackIR 5, Surround Speakers & Subwoofer, Oculus Quest 2 VR.

30 minutes ago, brettt777 said:

All McDonell-Douglas F-15C/D MSIP II, F/A-18A/C, F/A-18E/F, AV-8B, F-15E ues the same grip, with only very small changes from type to type. It's being used in some other aircraft as well e.g. Tornado GR.4.

32 minutes ago, bies said:

All McDonell-Douglas F-15C/D MSIP II, F/A-18A/C, F/A-18E/F, AV-8B, F-15E ues the same grip, with only very small changes from type to type. It's being used in some other aircraft as well e.g. Tornado GR.4.

So, I can get the Thrustmaster Hornet grip to make the experience a bit more authentic, right?

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

6 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

So, I can get the Thrustmaster Hornet grip to make the experience a bit more authentic, right?

Yes, and it's comfortable, durable and practical anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Beirut said:

Are you sure you made that MFD SOI?

So... I was messing around with it this morning, I was in the WSO seat and I somehow managed to get the right MPD to be SOI (not exactly sure how I did that. I have the right hand stick in the back seat assigned to the stick hats and trigger) and then sure enough, the A/G radar came up. I also had the display on the left MPD in the pilot seat. Now my problem is, I can't seem to select any display in the front seat as the SOI. I'm thinking the SOI is indicated by the little vertical lines along the bottom of the display. Is this correct? Okay, so how exactly am I suppose to change the SOI? I thought it was done with the castle switch on the stick. I have the castle switch on my Winwing stick assigned to all the castle switch functions. But when I try to select a display, I will get a display to change on occasion but I never see one become SOI, at least not that I can tell. So what am I missing? In the Hornet, one click of the castle switch and you have your selected SOI. I can't seem to get there with the Strike Eagle.

Edited by brettt777

1 hour ago, brettt777 said:

So... I was messing around with it this morning, I was in the WSO seat and I somehow managed to get the right MPD to be SOI (not exactly sure how I did that. I have the right hand stick in the back seat assigned to the stick hats and trigger) and then sure enough, the A/G radar came up. I also had the display on the left MPD in the pilot seat. Now my problem is, I can't seem to select any display in the front seat as the SOI. I'm thinking the SOI is indicated by the little vertical lines along the bottom of the display. Is this correct? Okay, so how exactly am I suppose to change the SOI? I thought it was done with the castle switch on the stick. I have the castle switch on my Winwing stick assigned to all the castle switch functions. But when I try to select a display, I will get a display to change on occasion but I never see one become SOI, at least not that I can tell. So what am I missing? In the Hornet, one click of the castle switch and you have your selected SOI. I can't seem to get there with the Strike Eagle.

Tutorials! Tutorials! Tutorials!

It's the only way to go. :smoke: 

12 hours ago, Beirut said:

Tutorials! Tutorials! Tutorials!

It's the only way to go. :smoke: 

Yeah, okay. Got it now. I just wasn't holding the button long enough.

So, while we're talking about radars, I've noticed something in the last couple days. I recently purchased the F-1 Mirage, which has a ground mapping radar. I was flying that over the Sinai Peninsula and I was a bit confused about how it was working. Then I discovered that the M-2000C Mirage apparently had an update that gave it an A/G function on it's radar and when I flew that one I noticed something about the way it works that is similar to the F-1. Now, I'm flying the F-15E and I notice the A/G radar in this one doing the same thing. When I'm looking down at the ground from 20K feet on a 20 mile scale, the radar only gives me this relatively narrow band of returns that is only several miles wide instead of covering the entire sweep. Is this normal? I went and looked again at the A/G radars in the FA-18, F-16 and JF-17, and they don't work that way. They show returns on pretty much the entire sweep except for very close in. Is this just because the Mirage radars and maybe the F-15 radar are older technology or are they just modeled different? I am a retired aviation maintenance technician that specialized in avionics. I spent most of the last four decades in the aviation community both military and civilian, plus about a dozen years in the marine electronics industry so I know how a radar works. That being said, I have never really seen a modern military radar operate IRL. At least not airborne. I worked on EA-6B Prowlers in the US Navy. They had a search radar in them but that was back in the 70's and 80's so it was very low tech compared to this new stuff. It had very little targeting functions; only a very basic HARM target link of a thing. Anyway.... I never got to see those radars work except for occasionally on the ground when we could point the thing over the side of the ship. So, is this actually the way these apparently older radars worked? Are the radars in the Hornet and Viper that much more efficient? Or am I just not using the F-15E radar properly?

2 hours ago, brettt777 said:

Yeah, okay. Got it now. I just wasn't holding the button long enough.

So, while we're talking about radars, I've noticed something in the last couple days. I recently purchased the F-1 Mirage, which has a ground mapping radar. I was flying that over the Sinai Peninsula and I was a bit confused about how it was working. Then I discovered that the M-2000C Mirage apparently had an update that gave it an A/G function on it's radar and when I flew that one I noticed something about the way it works that is similar to the F-1. Now, I'm flying the F-15E and I notice the A/G radar in this one doing the same thing. When I'm looking down at the ground from 20K feet on a 20 mile scale, the radar only gives me this relatively narrow band of returns that is only several miles wide instead of covering the entire sweep. Is this normal? I went and looked again at the A/G radars in the FA-18, F-16 and JF-17, and they don't work that way. They show returns on pretty much the entire sweep except for very close in. Is this just because the Mirage radars and maybe the F-15 radar are older technology or are they just modeled different? I am a retired aviation maintenance technician that specialized in avionics. I spent most of the last four decades in the aviation community both military and civilian, plus about a dozen years in the marine electronics industry so I know how a radar works. That being said, I have never really seen a modern military radar operate IRL. At least not airborne. I worked on EA-6B Prowlers in the US Navy. They had a search radar in them but that was back in the 70's and 80's so it was very low tech compared to this new stuff. It had very little targeting functions; only a very basic HARM target link of a thing. Anyway.... I never got to see those radars work except for occasionally on the ground when we could point the thing over the side of the ship. So, is this actually the way these apparently older radars worked? Are the radars in the Hornet and Viper that much more efficient? Or am I just not using the F-15E radar properly?

You're past my snack bracket with that, I'm afraid.  🙂

I'm sure someone will come along and tell it like it is.