HAD stops locking on targets after a while. BUG or intended?

Snakedoc
Go to solution Solved by Snakedoc,

Hi all,

relatively new to the F16 so not sure if this is a bug or else.

When playing in an environment with many SAM and radar active, I can use the HAD to lock on the various emitters on the ground, use the SEAD function to step through each of them etc, however after a while this stops working and I can't use anymore TMS up to lock any emitters. 

I place the cursor on top of the emitter, press TMS UP but nothing happens, the emitter doesn't turn RED as in locked and no matter what I do I can't make it to work again.

I tried turning on and off A/G mode, master arm, even the left harpoint (HTS pod) but without success. The only function that remains operative is if I press TMS RIGHT I can go into SEAD mode on the DED but I am unable to step through any emitters and anyway on the HAD display no red "locked" target appears.

Is this intended behaviour? Am I doing something wrong and being stuck in some sub-mode? 

OFC I tried TMS DOWN to unlock any targets, but didn't work.

If I reload the mission and perform the same steps, HAD works fine. I don't know how to reproduce this, only thing I've noticed is that it happens after flying around for a while but not every time (> 30-40 min)

Don't have a track but anyway it would be extremely heavy & long

TIA

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel

Had exactly this a few days ago on a MP server. 

Also as a variant, I lost the cursor on the HAD while it being SOI, it was just gone.

I could get the cursor back with DMD Down end then ended up with not being able to designate anything else just as you describe

• 7 months later...

This keeps happening to me too. I'll be in a mission for a while, the HAD is working fine, I lock some targets and make some kills, and suddenly the cursor on the HAD will not lock anything anymore. Hovering over an emitter will bring up the info for that, including the PGM2 indicator, but it will not lock up.  I can't figure out any way to make it work again. Also tried cycling different modes and powering off/of.

• Like 2

Hi all,
relatively new to the F16 so not sure if this is a bug or else.
When playing in an environment with many SAM and radar active, I can use the HAD to lock on the various emitters on the ground, use the SEAD function to step through each of them etc, however after a while this stops working and I can't use anymore TMS up to lock any emitters. 
I place the cursor on top of the emitter, press TMS UP but nothing happens, the emitter doesn't turn RED as in locked and no matter what I do I can't make it to work again.
I tried turning on and off A/G mode, master arm, even the left harpoint (HTS pod) but without success. The only function that remains operative is if I press TMS RIGHT I can go into SEAD mode on the DED but I am unable to step through any emitters and anyway on the HAD display no red "locked" target appears.
Is this intended behaviour? Am I doing something wrong and being stuck in some sub-mode? 
OFC I tried TMS DOWN to unlock any targets, but didn't work.
If I reload the mission and perform the same steps, HAD works fine. I don't know how to reproduce this, only thing I've noticed is that it happens after flying around for a while but not every time (> 30-40 min)
Don't have a track but anyway it would be extremely heavy & long
TIA
Not sure if this is the answer to your problem, but the color on the HAD page does not relate to whether you have the emitter locked or not, but to the state of the threat emitter. Solid red means the threat is emitting in tracking mode and flashing red means threat is emitting in launch mode. Yellow is emitting in search mode and green has not emitted in at least 2 minutes. See manual p. 288.

Sent from my FP4 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

so after a long time I found out why in my case it "stopped" locking targets on the HAD. It has to do with the Mark point DED page. If I have it open, even with the HAD as SOI using TMS up doesn't have any effect on locking HAD targets.

If I get out of the Mark point page it works as intended.

Wether this is a bug or feature I'm not sure

• Like 6

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 F-GAMING | i7-10700K | RTX3090 TUF OC | 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | Windows 10 64bit | Acer Predator X34P | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | TM T.Flight Rudder Pedals

A-10C | A-10C II | F/A-18C | F-16C | FC3 | PG | Syria | SC

Home made F-16C simulator
Forum Thread: DCS World forum - The Viper Project - Home Cockpits Instagram: 1583142 copia.jpg The Viper Project YouTube youtube-icon-512x512-874lspju.png The Viper Project - Youtube channel