Tpod to HUD

nima2014

I’ve read the manual and watched Casmo’s as well as Notso’s video about designation. I’m in AG Master mode and the pod is up on the left MPD and SOI. Now I’m pressing castle switch down and then forward, the HUD is now in command. I’m doing this again, as mentioned in the videos but nothing happens, the TPOD is not slaved to my HUD reticle. What I’m doing wrong? Any help is appreciated. 

cheers 

16 hours ago, nima2014 said:

Now I’m pressing castle switch down and then forward, the HUD is now in command. I’m doing this again, as mentioned in the videos but nothing happens, the TPOD is not slaved to my HUD reticle. What I’m doing wrong?

TL;DR:

You need to undesignate first - usually boat switch Aft (will remove the HUD azimuth steering line and target diamond)

Like you, I had difficulty getting the TPOD to move to the Flight Path Vector the first time I tried but it seemed to "fix" it's self after I went Boat Switch forward first.

Not sure if it was a switchology error on my part (I had designated with NAV, RADAR and TPOD prior to trying to use the HUD/FPM) or a bug. However, after I'd got it to work first time, other HUD "IN CMD" resets were trouble free.

Detail

So in summary

1. A/G Master Mode
2. Undesigate any existing designations (Boat Switch Aft)
3. TPOD SOI, Auto-Acq DEPRESS (track/untrack) returns the TGP to slave mode.
(If you don't TGP continues to track whatever it is looking at, even without a designated target)
4. Depress Castle Switch, then quickly SHORT Castle Forward (HUD Reads IN CMD)
5. Depress Castle Switch, then quickly SHORT Castle Forward (HUD TPOD box centers on Flight Path Marker, TPOD PB17 SP RET)
6. Fly to place Flight Path Marker on desired Target
7. TDC Depress to Designate (HUD target diamond, azimuth steering line, etc. - depending on weapon/selected mode)

Tested using GBU-12's in AUTO STEP N/T with a CLTD JTAC marking targets with smoke and buddy lasing.

Edited by Ramsay
Add note re: TPOD PB17 SP RET
  • Thanks 2

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

No joy for me following your advice @Ramsay.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Sometimes this works, other times it does not.  I'd wager this is a "me" issue as I try and learn the nuances of the jet.  I can get the TGP in snowplow mode, just not attached to the flight path marker.  

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, VKB STECS Standard, Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

14 hours ago, Mistermann said:

No joy for me following your advice @Ramsay.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Sometimes this works, other times it does not.  I'd wager this is a "me" issue as I try and learn the nuances of the jet.  I can get the TGP in snowplow mode, just not attached to the flight path marker.  

There's one more thing to try--press Auto-Acq aft  in BEFORE commanding the HUD.  This returns the TGP to slave mode, and when you command the HUD twice, the new cue source becomes the VV, and the TGP slaves to it.  If you don't press Auto-Acq aft in, then the TGP continues to track whatever it is looking at, even without a designated target.  

I'm still not entirely clear on the buttonology, but this seemed to work for me

Edited by jaylw314

2 hours ago, Panny said:

I find for it to work you need to have some ordnance selected on the AG ARMT page.

Not sure why but I got consistency from there.

Any delivery mode or does it need to be in auto, cdip, cdip auto?! 

thanks to all your replies!

9 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

There's one more thing to try--press Auto-Acq aft BEFORE commanding the HUD.  This returns the TGP to slave mode, and when you command the HUD twice, the new cue source becomes the VV, and the TGP slaves to it.  If you don't press Auto-Acq aft, then the TGP continues to track whatever it is looking at, even without a designated target.

I found Auto-Acq DEPRESS worked (rather than aft)

6 hours ago, nima2014 said:

Any delivery mode or does it need to be in auto, cdip, cdip auto?!

With the HUD "IN CMD", Auto-Acq AFT toggles between AUTO and CDIP modes.

In AUTO the TPOD tracks the Flight Path Marker (which creates the designation)
In CDIP the TPOD tracks the CDIP Pipper (which creates the designation)

• Thanks 1

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

6 minutes ago, Ramsay said:

I found Auto-Acq DEPRESS worked (rather than aft)

With the HUD "IN CMD", Auto-Acq AFT toggles between AUTO and CDIP modes.

In AUTO the TPOD tracks the Flight Path Marker (which creates the designation)
In CDIP the TPOD tracks the CDIP Pipper (which creates the designation)

Ooops!  you're totally right! I mis-remembered 🤪  corrected it above!

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 1