Navigator Emergency Control

Slippa

Caught in a cone of searchlights with shots ricocheting everywhere, last night, suddenly, I lost control of my Mossie. I changed the view and saw I’d been hit though not too badly. One engine was beginning to smoke and the aircraft was holed but still flyable. No input I made had any effect. I couldn’t change the view back to my Pilots seat and looking from the outside, what I could see was that I was slumped over, apparently, quite dead.

My number two, Neville the Navigator sat in his seat looking like he might reach for the cheese and pickle sandwiches and flask of tea if it weren’t for the more pressing matter of levelling up the Mossie and trimming her out for an emergency landing somewhere.

I pressed 2 on the keyboard to select the Nav position. Nada. The Mossie flew on, with me slumped in the cockpit, no chance of saving the poor Navigator. Two rounds of cheese sandwiches rapidly looking like they’d be toasted. Frantically tapping the 2 and all the chanting in the world couldn’t get me back in there to save the day. My Navigator sat helplessly waiting for the inevitable to happen, sandwichless.

I’m haunted by the image of poor Neville, looking to all the world like he was having a nice relaxing flight if it weren’t for the now burning wooden wonder encasing him and the body of the Pilot sitting next to him. I have to hand it to him, he was styling it out right to the end and went out looking cool, taking it on the chin and very much with a stiff upper lip. Good ol Nev, bless him.

Shouldn’t I have been able to save him and the Mossie?

Edited by Slippa
Typo
  • Like 1

I love having it. Equally, it can be frustrating. 

What about the Nav? If I could’ve swapped seats for him to save himself, it’d be like cheating. Effectively having two lives so not ideal really.

AI Navigator?

They should have had a temporary, or some kind of fix for this before they released it. It would have prevented a lot of frustration and disillusionment. Even though it's my favorite aircraft to fly, I can not at this time, recommend anyone purchase it.

• 1 month later...

It's frustrating how all the new Jets and Helis get ever more sophisticated AI backseaters... but nothing on the mossies navigator. Reflected showed how cool it could be in the mossie campaign... At least a cockpit-pilotmodel would be much appreciated, but no autopilot or the option to steer the plane when the pilot is dead is really frustrating. I wonder how long the mossie will stay in early access 😞

• Like 1

Oh, hell no for the navigator 3D model from my perspective! Il-2GB already shows why it's a terrible idea - not only he's just as functionally not-there in that other sim, but also blocks a lot of view from 3 to 6 o'clock. In DCS we can at least look around easier and spot incoming fighters quicker. An optional pilot's and navigator's body, however, for those who don't mind being handicapped? Sure, why not. As long as it remains optional.

Somewhat functional AI crew member on the other hand, I'm all for it. But let's be honest, in typical SP or MP missions without any flightplan or waypoints whatsoever there's really not much to do for the navigator. Reflected's workaround in V-for-Victory only works so well because of how tightly scripted his campaigns are.

Petro and George at least have weapon systems to manage, so they are much more needed in their respective aircraft. I'd hazard a guess that's why there's more ED development going towards them instead of Mossie, at least for now.

• Like 2

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, Art-J said:

Somewhat functional AI crew member on the other hand, I'm all for it. But let's be honest, in typical SP or MP missions without any flightplan or waypoints whatsoever there's really not much to do for the navigator. Reflected's workaround in V-for-Victory only works so well because of how tightly scripted his campaigns are.

This is why we need to be able to plot and edit waypoints and routes on-the-fly from F10 map. Then your AI navigator can act and react relative to this route as in Reflected’s scripts.

Currently on MP servers I have to make pen&paper notes of the route that I plan on the ground before takeoff. For low level navigation this is crucial, especially without an AI “hold straight & level” pilot so I can only mess with F10 for a few seconds before jumping back to “pilot” to correct flight attitude.

• Like 2

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!