Ram Speed with the i9 13900K and 4090

So I finally put together my "dream" system and got a deal on a bundle that came with the processor, mobo and RAM from Micro Center.  So far, its done great.  Except for one thing.  The ram was "average" CAS speed RAM and im having issues with get the full speed out of XMP.  It works and does a good job with DCS.  But me being the gotta get all I can get out of the hardware and issues OCing the Ram as it defaults to 2400mhx (4800 out of the supposed to be 6000) I was wondering"

1.  Is it bad RAM? The package says 6000 but as stated before Im not getting that speed.  Selecting the XMP profile in the bios just locks up the machine.  I go to auto it boots just at 4800.  

2.  If I bought another brands RAM and higher rated speed looking at DDR 5 8000, will there be a difference in DCS?

Try updating your motherboard BIOS to the latest version if haven't already. 

I would exchange it if it won't hit it's rated speed since you paid for it.  You likely won't see any meaningful difference regardless though.

MSI Z690 Edge | 12700k | 64GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 4080 Super | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, DestroCrimson said:

So I finally put together my "dream" system and got a deal on a bundle that came with the processor, mobo and RAM from Micro Center.  So far, its done great.  Except for one thing.  The ram was "average" CAS speed RAM and im having issues with get the full speed out of XMP.  It works and does a good job with DCS.  But me being the gotta get all I can get out of the hardware and issues OCing the Ram as it defaults to 2400mhx (4800 out of the supposed to be 6000) I was wondering"

1.  Is it bad RAM? The package says 6000 but as stated before Im not getting that speed.  Selecting the XMP profile in the bios just locks up the machine.  I go to auto it boots just at 4800.  

2.  If I bought another brands RAM and higher rated speed looking at DDR 5 8000, will there be a difference in DCS?

1 . If it's defaulting to 4800Mhz then it's definitely holding back a bit of performance, that's for sure.

Is it 4 sticks or 2 sticks of RAM?
Is it an Intel XMP kit or an AMD EXPO kit ? 
What happens when you you load XMP in the BIOS and save/reboot?
Has the BIOS been updated for latest version?

Try this anyway:

2.  Fuggedaboutit.
While DDR5 8000 is excelent, it's not worth paying for at the moment (pretty €xp€n$iv€!!), not for DCS or any others sims (no perceptible difference).

DDR5 6000 is great performance and, if the issues you mention get solved, you''re good to go. 

If not, if the problem persists and you end up hunting another RAM kit, I'd suggest taking a look at a 64GB (2x32GB) or 96GB (2x48GB) 6400 CL32 kit from Gskill.
Some months back, any of the following kits presented the best performance/price balance for Intel 12th and 13th gen:

64GB (2x32GB) 6400 CL32

96GB (2x48GB) 6400 CL32

The 64GB kits may be found at prices starting from 210$, and the 96GB kits at around 360$.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC - Caucasus retexture mod   |   A-10A cockpit retexture mod   |   Shadows reduced impact mod   |   DCS 2.5.6 Installer

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png 

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64  |  Intel i7 12700K (@5.2/5.1/4.9p + 3.9e)  |  64GB DDR4 (@3466 CL16 Crucial Ballistix)  |  RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra  |  2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue)  |  Corsair RMX 850W  |  Asus Z690 TUF+ D4  |  TR PA120SE  |  Fractal Meshify-C  |  UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE  |  7x USB 3.0 Hub |  50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking)  |  HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR)  |  TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

1 . If it's defaulting to 4800Mhz then it's definitely holding back a bit of performance, that's for sure.

Is it 4 sticks or 2 sticks of RAM?
Is it an Intel XMP kit or an AMD EXPO kit ? 
What happens when you you load XMP in the BIOS and save/reboot?
Has the BIOS been updated for latest version?

Thought I had, I hadnt.  Did that and it took like a couple of minutes to boot but Im at the speed the Ram says.

2.  Fuggedaboutit.
While DDR5 8000 is excelent, it's not worth paying for at the moment (pretty €xp€n$iv€!!), not for DCS or any others sims (no perceptible difference).

Just a funny thought I had you say its expensive and then you link expensive RAM.  Its all good.  But funny to me.  I just dropped 3 k on the parts a bit more aint going to hurt so I did order the 8000 speed Ram.  64 gbs of it.  

DDR5 6000 is great performance and, if the issues you mention get solved, you''re good to go. 

Im finding conflicting things about speed of Ram.  Most say that higher speed ram helps CPU intensive program games has some improvement.  Even linus says that higher speed RAM helps its just expensive.  I go about 4 years before updating so Im all out for this one.  

If not, if the problem persists and you end up hunting another RAM kit, I'd suggest taking a look at a 64GB (2x32GB) or 96GB (2x48GB) 6400 CL32 kit from Gskill.
Some months back, any of the following kits presented the best performance/price balance for Intel 12th and 13th gen:

20 minutes ago, DestroCrimson said:

Just a funny thought I had you say its expensive and then you link expensive RAM.  Its all good.  But funny to me.  I just dropped 3 k on the parts a bit more aint going to hurt so I did order the 8000 speed Ram.  64 gbs of it.  

I linked expensive RAM?  🤨 heh??
Where are you checking prices?

Here's an even funnier thought then:   32GB of DDR5 8000 C38 is usually more expensive (~260$) than 64GB of DDR5 6400 C32 (~220$).  🙂 

Yes, your read it right. That's over double the price, and there's ZERO perceptible difference with DCS and other sims.
...but hey, it's your money, your call. :dunno: 

CGTC - Caucasus retexture mod   |   A-10A cockpit retexture mod   |   Shadows reduced impact mod   |   DCS 2.5.6 Installer

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64  |  Intel i7 12700K (@5.2/5.1/4.9p + 3.9e)  |  64GB DDR4 (@3466 CL16 Crucial Ballistix)  |  RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra  |  2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue)  |  Corsair RMX 850W  |  Asus Z690 TUF+ D4  |  TR PA120SE  |  Fractal Meshify-C  |  UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE  |  7x USB 3.0 Hub |  50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking)  |  HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR)  |  TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

It is actually really cheap now, believe me.
All DDR5 RAM below 7000Mhz is now at about half the price it was one year ago.

Edited by LucShep

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, DestroCrimson said:

hello. i purchased an OEM build in april 2021. when i first got it, it worked wel though i noticed that the memory was showing less than what i thought. i contacted the OEM support and they told me i needed a BIOS update. once i did the update the RAM was worked as prescribed.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

— Mark Twain