A-4 Steering settings

VZ_342

I had a bit of difficulty steering the A-4, not because of the differential braking but because of the sudden hard turn to whatever side you're turning towards. It happens quickly, and once the hard turn starts you're on for the ride! There's gotta be some kind of adjustment to the braking system which allows sane turning....luckily Yappy's Training discord had someone who helped me out, and this method still works. I set this up a couple days ago.

If you need help, just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

DCS A-4 Steering Set-Up

1. Open Settings menu
Tune Left brake and Right brake:
Select “Slider”, “Invert”, and “User Curves.”
Insert values from the left-->right 0, 0, 0, 0, 5, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 (I use a "5" for the fifth slider because it rounds off the sharp corner, it is optional)

Save and exit Settings Menu

2. Arm spoilers
3. Full Flaps
4. Bring up Controls Indicator (Rt Contl + Enter)
5. Note the little yellow circle at 12 o'clock, that indicates to which direction the Nose Wheel is pointed.

All set, let's roll...

6. Stomp on the brake pedals, this resets them to zero (sometimes they're full on).

7. Throttle up to a walking speed.

8. Slowly push on one brake when needed, watching the little yellow circle...when it starts to move, start watching the nose of the plane. Slowly increase toe pressure, but release when the plane is turning at an appropriate rate.
9. Slowly apply opposite brake to cancel, but again keep an eye on the yellow circle...when it starts returning to center, watch the nose of the plane and stop the toe pressure when the plane is pointing where it's supposed to be.

DCS A-4 Brake settings 1 trimmed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ill give that ago. many a times I'm stuck in a right hand on the carrier; to only stop, restart the mission.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

• 2 weeks later...

Well dont ask the devs to allow an option to return to the old setup of NWS we used to have.  Although I understand some countries had this I asked years ago and was poo poo'd pretty quick asking.  Even if it was a user checkbox option for the server on the menus.  Oh well.  Enjoy differential braking and restarting the missions.  Some will say its very easy with practice.  To me thats where you reach the game / sim and worth your time wall. 

Cheers.

After setting the curves like in the image, I haven't got stuck during a taxi. Yes, it takes a little practice, more than pressing NWS (which is my preferred method), but these settings make it workable without frustration.

Edited by VZ_342
Yes