Lightning F.2/F.2A by EE

Announcement!

Historical Description

The Lightning was Britain's first supersonic fighter with a maximum speed and climbing rate that exceeded everything but was limited by its short range and average weaponry.

The Lightning was the result of the P.1A which was designed after the demand in 1947 for a supersonic research aircraft. The first of the three prototypes flew in August 1954, and later showed supersonic capabilities thanks to two Bristol Siddeley turbojets without afterburners. It was clear that this type had the qualities of an interceptor-fighter and the name was changed into P.1B witch flew first in April 1957 with two Rolls-Royce Avon turbojets. After a long development period with 20 pre-production aircraft the Lightning F.Mk1 came in use in 1960 with two 30 mm. cannon's and two Firestreak air to air missiles.

Malta Aviation Museum

0100880.jpg

Lightning F.2

Single-seat fighter (an improved variant of the F.1), delivered in 1962. A total of 44 built with 31 later modified to F.2A standard, five later modified to F.52 for export to Saudi Arabia.

Lightning F.2A

Single-seat fighter (F.2s upgraded to near F.6 standard); featuring Avon 211R engines, retained ADEN cannon and Firestreak (replaceable Firestreak pack swappable with ADEN Cannon Pack for a total of four ADEN Cannon), arrestor hook and enlarged Ventral Tank for two hours flight endurance. A total of 31 converted from F.2.

DCS

Aim to create a player flyable model

Accurate EFM 

Gear simulation 

2x IR Guided Missiles 

Exterior model 

Exterior animations and livery 

Interior avionic systems modeled to recreate the Lightning F.2

Ferranti AI radar and HUD 

Ejection Seat 

Damage model 

Updates will be posted bellow 

Currently on hold

Edited by =Katze=
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Just incase you were unaware, Razbam do plan to release an EE Lightning at some point, though we've no idea when that will actually be.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

23 minutes ago, Mr_sukebe said:

Just incase you were unaware, Razbam do plan to release an EE Lightning at some point, though we've no idea when that will actually be.

I'm aware,  I'm focused on the earlier lightning F2 so it leaves room for the F6 which is more popular 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, =Katze= said:

I'm aware,  I'm focused on the earlier lightning F2 so it leaves room for the F6 which is more popular 

Makes sense.  Good luck!  I'm a Brit, so VERY much in favour of getting an EEL.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

9 hours ago, Tengah said:

Katze, Sir!!!!!!  

From what I understand Razbam dropped the Lightning project... 

No, tell me it’s not true!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

No, tell me it’s not true!!

Unfortunately so, from what I have read, I wanted to quote where I read this but for the life of me, I can't remember.  It was either on these forums or else where.  Is a great shame, would love to see the F6 but what would have been even better a T5 with multicrew!!!!  Oh, the DCS dreams I have... Full of multicrew RAF Tonkas (GR1/a and F3), Banana Jet S2B's, Pusscat T4's and Frightning T5's...   Alas...  🙂 

Edited by Tengah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HE5405 said:

@Tengah they said in their discord a few months back that the Lightning was just a covid project for one of their artists and wasn’t going to go on to be a full module. 

fingers crossed this mod takes off

Thank you HE5405, I knew I had read it some where 🙂

3 hours ago, SlimJimIV said:

Good to see the Lightning is finally coming to show us all what true climb rate is!

Did the F2/F2.A have RedTop capabilities or just Firestreak, and could it mount the overwing fuel tanks of later marks?

The Red Top came with F6 in 1964 so unfortunately not with the F2A.  The ferry fuel tanks were also F6, they weren't used in combat but for long range flights between airbases from what I gather 

• Like 3

I hope that you used the standard British way of cockpit ergonomics, i.e. put all the buttons, switches and dials in a box, throw in a hand grenade and see where they go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...