Hand position in VR does not match touch controller position

ShuRugal

nullsee the screenshot.

To set this screenshot up, i set my touch controllers on the top corners of my keyboard tray, with the corners passing through the palm grips of the controllers.  the tray is 20 inches (50cm) wide.  Note that the DCS fingers are intersecting one another by about 2 inches (5cm), meaning that the fingertip in VR is approximately 12 inches (30 cm) forward of where my physical palms are, which puts it about 9 inches (23cm) forward of where my real fingertip is.

In addition, you can see that the DCS VR hand is more than one full hand-width above the grip on the controller.  In VR, when i rotate my wrist 180 degrees, my VR hand traces an arc with a radius of about 5 inches (13 cm).

This makes reaching some of the buttons in the cockpit extremely awkward.  I understand that the Eagle devs might have higher priorities to deal with, but it has been like this since I bought my Index, more than three years ago (nearly four) now.

If the DCS Dev team does not have the spare time to configure hand position data for the various touch controllers on the market, could you at least give us a set of sliders under VR options to modify the 6-axis position of the VR hands?  Or if that's too much work, expose the values for this in a text file we can edit ourselves to a comfortable position?  Having to work through the Kama Sutra to start up various aircraft is starting to get old.

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • ED Team

Hi, sorry for the late reply. 

I am unable to reproduce this. 

Can you attach your dcs log and let me know what vr device you are using. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, sorry for the late reply. 

I am unable to reproduce this. 

Can you attach your dcs log and let me know what vr device you are using. 

thank you

DCS log attached.  I am using the Valve Index hand controllers

In the following screen captures, i use the tip of my VR glove to indicate the position of my real fingertip.  The offset here is not as bad, only about 4" as opposed to the 8" i was experiencing when i first posted, but it's still enough to make it awkward or impossible to interact with switches close against my "body" in the cockpit.L-tip.jpg

R-tip.jpg

dcs.log

• ED Team

thanks 

can you try something 

rename your dcs folder in saved games ( keep it as a backup ) so C:\Users\ShuRugal.Dragon-Prime\Saved Games\DCS.openbetabackup

run a slow repair of dcs then once finished restart DCS, login and test. It will create a new saved games folder for dcs and we can rule out any strange settings or old configs if any

do you see any difference? 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

also check the controller position sliders and try adjusting those axis. 

• ED Team
7 minutes ago, ShuRugal said:

wait, when did controller position sliders get added? where do i find that?

They were added recently on the main vr page, under where you select which controllers you are using ( controller / tracker )

and if you use leap motion it has slider on the leap motion special options page.

alright, found the offset sliders, but it looks like they don't work as expected.

When i move the sliders, it moves the VR hand relative to the world, instead of relative to the orientation of the hand.  Meaning that if i align the DCS hand with my touch controller while it's pointing, say, forward, it ends up wildly off while pointing up.

i'm recording a video now to show what i mean.

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2023 at 12:22 PM, BIGNEWY said:

also check the controller position sliders and try adjusting those axis. 

It's not just a problem of where the glove is in X/Y/Z space. We need to be able to rotate the gloves on the axis.    The orientation of the glove relative to the hand controller has changed.  It's been like that since Stable DCS 2.8.4.39731, and was only a problem if I started the game up in Multi Threading  (At least that's when I noticed it)  It was noticeably awkward.  I have no idea how to screen cap my Rift S controllers in game,  so this is best I can explain it. 

Pre DCS 2.8.4.39731Capture1.JPG

Post DCS 2.8.4.39731Capture2.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

I run the Pimax Leapmotion controller addon integrated to the bottom of my Crystal headset and the adjustment ranges for hand offset in DCS do not go big enough (I would need it to be about -18 in the vertical axis. Is there any technical reason why the X,Y and Z adjustments are limited to -10 to +10?

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

• 1 month later...

Ok, This controller thing might be tied to OpenXR.  I'm running a RiftS, And I was trying to figure out why half the settings in the tool kit didn't do anything.  And I found BIGNEWY's post on disabling OpenXR and just using the OculusAPI.  And it completely fixed the issue.  OpenXR has Hand-to-Controller program that seems like you should be able to adjust the hand positions but none of it setting seem to work.