CH-47 Chinook AI Bug?

Daemoc
Go to solution Solved by Flappie,

I have been having this weird issue with the CH-47 AI crashing on take off.

I have a few custom missions with a few CH-47's and after the last update, I noticed they keep crashing on take off. It's as though the rear rotor is not creating any lift and they just nose up and back flip instantly.

I know I am supposed to attach a replay track, but I am not in front of my DCS machine at the moment. I was just wondering if I am the only one experiencing this issue.

I will get a replay track when I get a chance.

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

I've had them crash taking off from a FARP, but from the ground they work ok.

It seems they spawn a little low and are caught by the FARP on takeoff.

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

Got it, it is the wind that is causing the crash. If I remove the wind it does take off.

But this map has had wind for a LONG time. I have been working on this particular map on and off for almost a year. The new "wobbly" ch47 take off is new. I am not sure which update it was, but it never wobbled that bad before now. The wobble + the wind causes it to crash.

I have videos on my youtube channel demonstrating both instances if you need to see before and after.

ch47.trk

Ryzen7 5800X3D - MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk MAX - 64Gb 3600MHz DDR4 - RX 6950 XT - SoundBlaster -Z

Just checking in, did the attached .trk result in a crash on take off on your end? Not that this is an emergency or game breaking, just curious.

Edited by Daemoc

• Solution

Hey, I was about to test your track today.

You did something really weird: setting up an invisible FARP in an airbase perimeter (the black circle). At first, I thought a FARP/airbase conflict was the source of the issue, but it's not. I placed the FARP away from the airbase and I can confirme the issue. Crosswind + CH-47 + takeoff from FARP causes this. The issue is now reported.

In the meantime, if you want your CH-47 to take off properly from its airbase spot, simply remove the invisible FARP underneath it (no active FARP should be placed in an airbase perimeter), then ask it to takeoff from ground. It works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Aye, the reason for the FARP is so I can dictate where it lands. If I don't use the FARP it just decides to land wherever.

It used to work before, I wonder what has changed?

Again, it's not that big of a deal. I can work around it. Thanks for confirming and reporting though. Much appreciated. 👍

Edited by Daemoc

Ha!

I was using the "waypoint" land function and it just auto snaps to the center of the airbase which only works with parking spots. I did not even think to use the "task" land.

Wow, talk about tunnel vision...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hey, I was about to test your track today.

You did something really weird: setting up an invisible FARP in an airbase perimeter (the black circle). At first, I thought a FARP/airbase conflict was the source of the issue, but it's not. I placed the FARP away from the airbase and I can confirme the issue. Crosswind + CH-47 + takeoff from FARP causes this. The issue is now reported.

In the meantime, if you want your CH-47 to take off properly from its airbase spot, simply remove the invisible FARP underneath it (no active FARP should be placed in an airbase perimeter), then ask it to takeoff from ground. It works.

@Flappie, crosswind + taking off from FARPS also causes crashes with Mi-24P (in the store campaign, for example) and other AI choppers, not only CH-47. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Antiguedad said:

@Flappie, crosswind + taking off from FARPS also causes crashes with Mi-24P (in the store campaign, for example) and other AI choppers, not only CH-47. 

Yes, indeed. Report edited. Thanks.

• Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.