Any tips for dogfighting / manouvering?

Viceman

I don't know is it my rudder control or what (its in my stick Z and pretty hard to use), but it feels very difficult to even make clean 180-degrees turn. For some reason just slightest pull makes my A8 to "toss" it to opposite side when turning. For example, I start turning to right and woosh! the plane suddenly banks on left.  I don't have many hours on this plane, but all tips are more than welcome. 

There are three options:

a) Some diplicated control assignment interferes with your intended input (there's a ton of duplicated default assignments whenever you install any new DCS module and the very first thing you should do when setting up your controls is to remove duplicates ASAP); I assume, however, that it would make any flying impossible, so maybe that's not a source of your problem;

b) You left control assists / helpers in "Special Options" tab turned ON and they interfere with your inputs. But then, I guess auto-rudder assist should help you in turns rather than make things harder (?);

c) You actually pull harder than you think, harder than "shlightest". A-8 has vicious stall characteristics - drops a wing after only a bit buffet warning, it has great instantaneous turn rate only for a while when flying fast but doesn't like sustained maneuvers at all. Your description doesn't really tell much, but if you saved a replay track of yours doing some basic turns and attached it here, we could take a look and see what's going on.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

14 hours ago, Viceman said:

For example, I start turning to right and woosh! the plane suddenly banks on left.

if you experience this you simply pull too hard and stall your brick. if your cockpit shakes it means youre close to stalling. dont pull harder or ease on the pull.

that characteristic can be used for quick rolls when in danger but it should not be your bread n butter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Viceman said:

Yeah, looks like it is just so delicate to manouver. I've been really struggling with dogfights in FW190 when there's no trouble in Spitfire. So I think I just need some flying lessons. And maybe a real ruddel pedals instead of twist stick. 

You have to utilize boom and zoom tactics. Unless enemy is unaware of your presence or is badly damaged avoid turn fight at all cost. Fw190 is the worst sustaine turn fighter in DCS even mosquito will out turn you. So tactics is to always perform sudden attacks prefably from above at high speed on unaware enemy plane. 4 x 20mm cannon setup will wreck anything even with split second burst. This tactic require patience, dyscipline and good gun skill. It is quite hard to pull it off.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor