Big Screen Beyond Now Shipping

Habu_69

I've got a question.  From what I've read you need to run SteamVR to get tracking and OpenXR support.  However, from what I have experienced and read on the forums, DCS Multi Thread does not work with SteamVR+OpenXR?  So then won't you be stuck using single thread?  ...and I'd assume ED will do away with single thread after some time, rendering the HMD unusable for DCS?

For sure BSB requires base stations for tracking, so, I guess SteamVR required. I do not find info in the OpenXR topic that indicate only the bin/DCS.exe (and not the bin-mt/DCS.exe) will run with SteamVR+OpenXR. If your statement is correct, I guess that is a deal-killer.

Here is info from BSB discord.

It is a native SteamVR Headset like the Valve Index. That means it does support SteamVRs implementation of OpenXR. However you won't (and i'm not even sure if you can) use that for DCS as there is no reason for it. You're probably asking because you heard that OpenXR gives much better performance for DCS than SteamVR. But this is only true for Windows Mixed Reality Headsets like the Reverb G2, because those are WMR native, instead of SteamVR native. So if you use SteamVR on the G2 it runs kind of emulated on top of WMR, so you have 2 softwares running on top of each other which leads to perfomance loss. With OpenXR instead it runs directly in WMR and thus without this loss. Now with the Beyond and any SteamVR native headsets it is basically the opposite. If you run DCS with SteamVR on the Beyond you get the full performance because there is no other software inbetween.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Habu_69 said:

Here is info from BSB discord.

That info is not entirely true today. Open XR yields better performance than Steam VR in most cases even with WMR not in the picture.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The info available I find quite confusing. I THINK the situation, as reported by Valve Index users, is that non-WMR headsets, like BSB and Index, will run DCS-mt, but through SteamVR, rather than DCS OpenXR directly, which involves a small performance penalty. I am happy to be corrected.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, freehand said:

Does any one have the headset ?

BSB discord, available by invitation after pre-order, is quite active. BSB had a huge number of day 1 orders, which have all been shipped. One user reported he is evaluating BSB with DCS, but I have yet to read a review of DCS performance by an actual end-user.

• Thanks 2