Stupid question: How do I engage "Nav" mode?

Smoky

Looking through the manual, specific examples being the Flight Director mode, and the HUD symbology variations... The manual references "Nav mode must be engaged...".

How do I engage nav mode? I've looked through the commands and manual..closest thing I can find is making sure the pvi is in "oper" and that a waypoint is selected in the pvi. But then I'm not seeing my FD cues nor things like a true heading scale on the HUD, so I'm missing something simple I think.

Thx

Pressing 'R' on the keyboard will engage Route mode - if Autopilot is engaged then the helicopter will attempt to follow the currently selected waypiont in the PVI (and indicated by the double yellow marker on the ADF - see page 2-16). If you have turn-to-target engaged ('Q') it will override Route mode. Also, when you engage Flight Director the autopilot will be disengaged, except the control dampening aspect.

I think Nav mode just refers to that particular selected mode in the ABRIS and PVI (R-Alt+Q). The FD cues may not be available in some PVI modes.

Cheers,

Jack :pilotfly:

ps: I should add that I am by no means an expert on this stuff - I only know what I use and what works for me. Others may give better information :joystick:

Edited by Jack57

"The only thing a chopper pilot should do downwind is take a leak" - CFI

CPL(H). AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @3.3 GHz, 2GB Corsair DDR2 667, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT 1 GB, SB Audigy 2.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro modified: no centering springs, extended shaft. CH Pro Throttle; vertical chair mount.

do you also have a way point selected?

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

Thx! I'll look in the pit for the command corresponding to rt-alt-q. That's prob the command I'm looking for.

It's the forward most button on the left side of the PVI panel. Look at page 2-59 - it's the one marked #4.

FWIW, I use the Airfield mode (#6 on that page) for RTB to rearm quite a lot, and also of course Target point (#7).

Jack

"The only thing a chopper pilot should do downwind is take a leak" - CFI

CPL(H). AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @3.3 GHz, 2GB Corsair DDR2 667, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT 1 GB, SB Audigy 2.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro modified: no centering springs, extended shaft. CH Pro Throttle; vertical chair mount.

Looking through the manual, specific examples being the Flight Director mode, and the HUD symbology variations... The manual references "Nav mode must be engaged...".

How do I engage nav mode? I've looked through the commands and manual..closest thing I can find is making sure the pvi is in "oper" and that a waypoint is selected in the pvi. But then I'm not seeing my FD cues nor things like a true heading scale on the HUD, so I'm missing something simple I think.

Thx

If you are in targetting mode or in another HUD mode:

First when activated deactivate Cannon by [c]

then reset Targetting mode [backspace].

Afterwards HUD is back in NAV mode.

Shortly, 4 HUD modes: NAV, Cannon, ATG, A/A.

Greetings,

docehrenhoefer

AFAIK, there is no command for nav mode. Nav mode is the mode you're always in unless you activate a weapons hardpoint. To return to nav mode after using weapons, press the Reset key on the weapons control panel (blue button on the near left side of the cockpit).

Default key: Backspace

Edited by Maulkin
added quote

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars