AI Glitch - Drives Vehicles into the Water

Caldera

Hey All,

Probably been brought up before but I can not find the thread. 

It has been going on since I started playing the game, where an enemy vehicle under attack will disperse.  If water is near it will sometimes (often) disperse into the water.  A portion of the vehicle is visible above the surface and it becomes invincible.  The water itself shows, for example bullet strikes, but the vehicle itself can not be damaged.

I don't think ED has put this on their hot fix list, so other than not placing vehicles near water or not letting the disperse is there any known work arounds?

Thanks in advance,

Caldera

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Flappie,

I will see what I can do.  As always, the track size limitation limits many bug reports because you can not edit just the section where the suspect bug is in a long track file.  The track file in a mission where I notice this happening is a long one.

Caldera

Hi Flappie,

I have flown my mission a few more times and vehicles have driven into the water randomly when attacked.  As the dispersion AI is random, so is the vehicles driving into the water.  Also I should mention that the mission is flown in the Apache and I am using the gun to attack the vehicles.  The location is SW of Batumi where a road goes around a bend and comes close to the water adjacent to some power line towers.  I am playing in SP. 

But, I believe that I have noticed a few things.  The main thing I have noticed is that indeed you are correct, vehicles can be destroyed in the water.  Looking specifically for a problem, I began to notice the destroyed vehicle messages that I had missed early on.

What I did notice after I got a vehicle destroyed message at various times:

• Shows fire and smoke animation as well as changing into a destroyed vehicle.
  • Shows no fire and smoke animation as well as remains an undestroyed (normal looking) vehicle and will not move any more.
  • Shows no fire and smoke animation as well as remains an undestroyed (normal looking) vehicle and sinks into the water (vanishing).

Obviously I had thought that if an actually destroyed vehicle does not show any graphical change, nor reported damage then it appeared to me to be invincible.  As no further damage occurs if I keep shooting at it.  Let me mention that because I use the laser when shooting the gun I have also learned that some how the water throws the range off a bit and I have to adjust my aim (typically low) to hit the vehicle, adding to my initial misconception.

Caldera

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so this was a new one!

Vehicles in Water 01.png

This truck drove into the river and then initially stopped.  But then drove into the river farther and then went nose down, as only the canopy was visible.  While this was occurring the truck appeared to be floating down the river at a slow pace either that or moving on only its front two wheels.  After a short time the truck stopped again and appeared to be on all 10 wheels again.  It a drove on for a bit and then stopped, at which point I shot it with the gun on the Apache.

After hitting the truck, as you can see the truck is still only smoking lightly and not destroyed.

Caldera

Edited by Caldera

Flappie,

Here is a track file, but of what use I do not know.  You will have to wait through a few minutes of cockpit set-up at the start.

The video of the track is completely wacked from what actually happened.

In my first attack sequence I attack four T-55's and I destroy them with 5 missiles (the first missile missed).  In the track video the tanks are not hit nor disperse, and just keep driving to their way point.

In the next attack sequence I attack and destroy 6 BTR-80's with the gun.  None of these vehicles show up in my track.

In the last attack, and the driving into the water sequence, I attack 4 BTR-80's and 3 URAL-4320's with the gun.  None of these vehicles show up in my track.

From memory...

One of the trucks drives into the water.  It stops.  Then it continues on only driving on the front 2 wheels.  It stops again, still balancing on the front 2 wheels.  It performs a fast 180 degree turn (instantaneously) and begins to drive toward the shore on the reverse path, still balancing only on the front 2 wheels.  When it gets near the shore it transforms to driving on all wheels, as normal.  At this point I fire on it with the gun (allot).  I believe that I destroyed it, but the truck showed still undamaged.

At some point, I may recall (but maybe not), that I fired a missile at a BTR-80 that also had driven into the water.  But still showed undamaged after the missile struck (appeared to strike).

In the track, when missiles and guns are firing, I am shooting at "something" not just empty space.  But none of that appears in the video.

I could send you the missile file, but it is too large to post on this website.

Caldera

VEHICLES IN WATER 01.trk

Edited by Caldera

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  @Caldera. Your track would not play correctly indeed.

I've just reproduced the issue: a truck fled into water, apparently unscathed. I shot two missiles at it, but its status remained the same. I eventually noticed it was not existing anymore (no label in 3D view, no label in the F10 map).

I'll ask devs about it. Non-amphibious vehicles should not enter water in any case.

Ka-50 vs trucks in water.trk

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.