DLSS & VR

davidrbarnette

but only it seems to me that increasing the pd doesn't change anything in the mfd? I use( quest' 3 )the Godlike resolution from virtual desktop and then when I go to increase the PD I don't see any visual changes apart from the drop in frames. pd 1 or pd1.5 I seem to see mfds the same way. am I wrong? I use dlss quality

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Lorenzo.D said:

but only it seems to me that increasing the pd doesn't change anything in the mfd? I use( quest' 3 )the Godlike resolution from virtual desktop and then when I go to increase the PD I don't see any visual changes apart from the drop in frames. pd 1 or pd1.5 I seem to see mfds the same way. am I wrong? I use dlss quality

Inviato dal mio CPH2219 utilizzando Tapatalk

It does, but it will be less and less noticeable the higher the resolution. As with everything, it is a trade off.
For example: You will never get as sharp MFDs in DLSS as with TAA. But they are sharp enough for me.

I recommend to change the resolution just one application (and not mess with PD as a multiplier)

Edited by MIghtymoo

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

On 11/1/2023 at 6:47 AM, MIghtymoo said:

The PD can be confusing as it is a multiplier for whatever resolution is set for DCS elsewhere.

It is probably better to set the desired resolution in relevant application (for me either SteamVR or in OpenXR toolkit).

I have a Pico 4 headset and for that headset it seems to be optimal to set the resolution to around 3850x3850.

Start with default resolution and review the image sharpness. If you think the MFD text is a little blurry, increase resolution 10% and try again (I delete fxo and metashader folder each time since I change resolution). Repeat untill you are happy with sharpness vs performance.

When it comes to graphics, there are a few settings that make a major visual impact in VR.

1. Visibility range (High is the best option as on Medium trees and buildings are not drawn/visible until very close).

2. Flat shadows give that extra depth and make the flight «more alive», without the heavy GPU hit of Default (which also does not look as nice due to flickering/artifacts, IMHO).

3. DLSS quality is golden for VR. Tests on a busy Syria map yesterday with the Apache got the following results (averaged):

- No AA: 70 fps

- MSAAx2: 60 fps

- MSAAx4: 40 fps (!)

- TAA: 65 fps

- DLAA: 60 fps

- DLSS Quality: 85fps 

Other than that I like to have shadow quality to Medium as it gives a very nice effect in the cockpit.

Clouds to High.

Rest is honestly just minor impact eye-candy that I can not afford to get a stable 72-90 fps.

Good luck getting the optimal settings for your setup! 😉

1)interesting I am running a crystal already with resolution at 4200x tweaking the PD separately has a huge impact on the visuals (particularly in cockpit) - but my issues is just getting a few more fps to make sure 45 is maintained - so I will try some of your suggestions... 

2)in terms of AA which one are you actually using with the best results? - and if you running DLSS Quality is it actually disabling DLAA or can both be run together?

3)really with DLSS and quad view enabled was not getting the fps I was expecting but maybe because I am running 4200x and a PD of 1.5......

1 hour ago, mac22 said:

1)interesting I am running a crystal already with resolution at 4200x tweaking the PD separately has a huge impact on the visuals (particularly in cockpit) - but my issues is just getting a few more fps to make sure 45 is maintained - so I will try some of your suggestions... 

2)in terms of AA which one are you actually using with the best results? - and if you running DLSS Quality is it actually disabling DLAA or can both be run together?

3)really with DLSS and quad view enabled was not getting the fps I was expecting but maybe because I am running 4200x and a PD of 1.5......

It is easy to get lost in all the settings...🙂

The reason for your poor performance is most likely this:

You have both set a resolution of 4200x and and in additon added a PD of 1.5. So effectively you are asking the GPU to render at 6000x(!)

You should easily see 72fps with your setup if you use settings in my post and the DFR (eyetracking):

Intel i9 13900K | RTX4090 | 64 Gb DDR4 3600 CL18 | 2Tb PCIe4.0 | Varjo Aero | Pico 4 on WIFI6e | Virtual Desktop running VDXR

1 hour ago, MIghtymoo said:

It is easy to get lost in all the settings...🙂

The reason for your poor performance is most likely this:

You have both set a resolution of 4200x and and in additon added a PD of 1.5. So effectively you are asking the GPU to render at 6000x(!)

You should easily see 72fps with your setup if you use settings in my post and the DFR (eyetracking):

1)assume by your settings you mean that ones posted on tuesday with the screen shot?

2)yes already using the DFR but can scale back the PD

3)have you concluded the DLSS quality is worth using with some additional PD or is it better just to run DLAA? (assume when you use DLSS then DLAA is disabled or greyed out)

1 hour ago, mac22 said:

3)have you concluded the DLSS quality is worth using with some additional PD or is it better just to run DLAA? (assume when you use DLSS then DLAA is disabled or greyed out)

I find that I get a lot of blurring/smearing of images with DLAA at headset native resolution (3120x3120 for me with Pico 4). If I set PD to 1.5 this reduces the blurring/smearing a lot but tanks performance. Set DLSS to quality and this offsets the performance drop but gets pretty good visual quality. Overall much better than MSAA. I also use QVFR to reduce GPU load. I know things are different depending on your setup but this works very well for me. 

• Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

3 hours ago, Qcumber said:

I find that I get a lot of blurring/smearing of images with DLAA at headset native resolution (3120x3120 for me with Pico 4). If I set PD to 1.5 this reduces the blurring/smearing a lot but tanks performance. Set DLSS to quality and this offsets the performance drop but gets pretty good visual quality. Overall much better than MSAA. I also use QVFR to reduce GPU load. I know things are different depending on your setup but this works very well for me. 

I can agree with Qcumber here when it comes to AA methods.

I do not like DCS Pixel Density(PD) adjustments, as it does not show your real resolution. It works as a multiplier to e.g VD / SteamVR.
Makes it harder for others to compare. Better to adjust the absolute resolution in appropriate tool (for me either OXRTK or SteamVR).

Also I use foveated rendering via OXRTK, instead of using Quad views (DFR), as I have a powerful GPU.

But for any headset with eyetracking Quad views is the way to go!

Edited by MIghtymoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MIghtymoo said:

I can agree with Qcumber here when it comes to AA methods.

I do not like DCS Pixel Density (DP) adjustments, as it does not show your real resolution. It works as a multiplier to e.g VD / SteamVR.
Makes it harder for others to compare. Better to adjust the absolute resolution in appropriate tool (for me either OXRTK or SteamVR).

Also I use foveated rendering via OXRTK, instead of using Quad views (DFR), as I have a powerful GPU.

But for any headset with eyetracking Quad views is the way to go!

Oh yeah baby, Amen to that!!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, MIghtymoo said:

I do not like DCS Pixel Density(PD) adjustments

I want to agree with you on that. It makes sense. My experience with the rift s confirms that. However, the Pico 4 seems a different beast. When I use VD and godlike overriding the res with OXRTK does not seem to give the same results as with PD. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s placebo. The other method that works quite well is using QVFR to increase the resolution of the centre region only. Again, this appears to work better than OXRTK. So PD 1.0 and QVFR at 1.7 centre and 0.4 periphery gives similar results to PD 1.5 and QVFR 1.0 centre and 0.3 periphery. Both with DLSS quality enabled. My gut feeling is that using QVFR to SS should be the way to go as all is done in one place, but when I showed these settings on discord mbuchia thought I was crazy. He is right, I am, but not for these reasons.  

57 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I want to agree with you on that. It makes sense. My experience with the rift s confirms that. However, the Pico 4 seems a different beast. When I use VD and godlike overriding the res with OXRTK does not seem to give the same results as with PD. I don’t know why. Maybe it’s placebo. The other method that works quite well is using QVFR to increase the resolution of the centre region only. Again, this appears to work better than OXRTK. So PD 1.0 and QVFR at 1.7 centre and 0.4 periphery gives similar results to PD 1.5 and QVFR 1.0 centre and 0.3 periphery. Both with DLSS quality enabled. My gut feeling is that using QVFR to SS should be the way to go as all is done in one place, but when I showed these settings on discord mbuchia thought I was crazy. He is right, I am, but not for these reasons.  

If you want to compare results and quality with others, you need to give us information about your resolution 😉

Both PD in DCS and Quadview are multipliers, and makes no sense if we do not know the resolution.

I give an example (not my real settings 😉)

I theoretically set resolution to 2160x2160 in SteamVR and PD 1.8. This is a resolution of 3888x3888. I am super happy and share on the forum.

If you use resolution 3850x3850 (default for Godlike in Pico 4 in SteamVR), and decide to use my «awesome» PD 1.8, you end up with 6930x6930 and the frame rate and experience will be terrible. 
————

Changing multipliers in two (or more) places makes it even more confusing 😳

Edited by MIghtymoo

10 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

If you want to compare results and quality with others, you need to give us information about your resolution

I am using Godlike which is 3120x3120. 

11 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

Changing multipliers in two (or more) places makes it even more confusing

I agree, which is why I'm erring on just using QVFR. 

13 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

I set resolution to 2160x2160 in SteamVR

I am using VDXR (beta 1.29.4) rather than steam VR so am avoiding the extra layer of steam.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Qcumber said:

I am using Godlike which is 3120x3120. 

I agree, which is why I'm erring on just using QVFR. 

I am using VDXR (beta 1.29.4) rather than steam VR so am avoiding the extra layer of steam.

Then you are running a resolution of 5304x 5304 in the centre and 1248x1248 on the periphery in Quad view.

I am running 4000x4000 in the centre and 250x250 in the periphery (outside visible image) with OXRTK foveated.

I assume you the run with reprojection at 45fps. I aim for 72fps…

A brand new youtube video recommeded VD Medium (2016x2112) and MSAAx4(!) to get 72 fps. Same Pico 4 headset…That recommendation would make no sense with our prefered resolution.

See how knowing the resolution makes comparison better and easier 😉

Edited by MIghtymoo

21 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

Then you are running a resolution of 5304x 5304 in the centre and 1248x1248 on the periphery in Quad view.

I am running 4000x4000 in the centre and 250x250 in the periphery (outside visible image) with OXRTK foveated.

I assume you the run with reprojection at 45fps. I aim for 72fps…

A brand new youtube video recommeded VD Medium (2016x2112) and MSAAx4(!) to get 72 fps. Same Pico 4 headset…That recommendation would make no sense with our prefered resolution.

See how knowing the resolution makes comparison better and easier 😉

That sounds about right. I need to look at the log file for QVFR but if i remember rightly, 1.7 centre and 0.4 periphery gives me an 11% saving over 3120x3120 across the full image. Combined with DLSS I can maintain 72 fps in a lot of situations. Low to the ground and with lots of assets and explosions etc. it can slow down to 60s or 50s. But it still runs OK for me. 

21 minutes ago, MIghtymoo said:

See how knowing the resolution makes comparison better and easier 

I did say in my earlier message that i was using VD godlike and pico 4. 

Edited by Qcumber
Typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Qcumber said:

getting much better frames now 60-70 running with DLSS and PD of 1.2

unrelated question - when I start a mission now getting a long pause where usually there is a black screen then get a non detailed outline of the cockpit which builds up into full detail and eventually the missions starts - get the feeling it could be a shader cache issue - would clearing the cache solve this and how do you do it?

15 minutes ago, mac22 said:

getting much better frames now 60-70 running with DLSS and PD of 1.2

unrelated question - when I start a mission now getting a long pause where usually there is a black screen then get a non detailed outline of the cockpit which builds up into full detail and eventually the missions starts - get the feeling it could be a shader cache issue - would clearing the cache solve this and how do you do it?

This delayed texture load has been around for a while now.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

22 minutes ago, mac22 said:

means clearing out the shader cache might not fix it?

I've cleared out the cache every update and it still happens..it started somewhere back in 2.7 and before MT as I recall.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

24 minutes ago, zildac said:

I've cleared out the cache every update and it still happens..it started somewhere back in 2.7 and before MT as I recall.

how about the black screen before the loading screen - are you getting this also? (note am running it from an SSD).

will try and clear the cache anyway to see if it helps - what folders do you need to delete?

40 minutes ago, zildac said:

I've not noticed that, only when first rebuilding shaders.

interesting as I have never deleted the shaders so not sure why I am getting it before the cockpit rebuild!

what folders do you need to delete to reset the shaders?

17 minutes ago, mac22 said:

interesting as I have never deleted the shaders so not sure why I am getting it before the cockpit rebuild!

what folders do you need to delete to reset the shaders?

Saved Games/DCS/metshaders2 and fxo folder in the same path.

Or use this useful utility:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3315428/

• Like 1

Great thread!!
Thought it was time I revealed my VR settings.

These are working for me, but open to trying any suggestions and hopefully of use for people with the Reverb G2V2.

All specs below in the signature.

Also running XR open toolkit.... Couldnt get a screen grab of that 😞
Settings CAS     DFR Preset     Turbo on

Frame rates from 91 in the DCS front page to 68-75 in game

Hope this helps someone

Nimbus

image0.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by Marshallman

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz   Turbo 5.1 GHz, Asus Prime Motherboard B460M-A, Nvidia Geoforce RTX4090, 64gB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR 3600Mhz,Windows 10 Pro Reverb G2V2