Having Big Problem with Vaicom/Voice attack recognizing my buttons

dburne

Ok so a bit of a story here. For some unknown reason except maybe to Virpil,  My gear decided it needed all new GUID's in the Virpil software and windows. All I did was change a mount for the stick, nothing else. Did not even move the USB plug to another port, used same one. In any event, I have spent most of the day today putting all my button assignments for the Hornet back in. GUID changed on my CM3 stick, my CM3 throttle, my MFG  rudder pedals. PITB!

So now after re-assigning those I was going to fly for a while, but no my Vaicom Pro/Voice Attack - well it is not working either. Guess the GUID changed on my buttons I used to control Vaicom commands. Only problem is , I now can not get it's setup to even recognize the button presses on my throttle when trying to assign. None of them. I tried installing Vaicom Pro clean again, but not dice still same result. Kind of at a loss here, hoping maybe someone has some ideas?

Thanks for any tips, this is driving me nuts.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

13 minutes ago, dburne said:

GUID changed on my CM3 stick, my CM3 throttle,

For future reference, in the Profile section in VPC Configuration app, note/save somewhere the USB Vendor Id and USB Product Id of your stick and the same for the throttle. If it changes on you, you can set it back to what it was and then press 'reset'

image.png

No expert on Vaicom, but in the VoiceAttack Options -> General see what joystick is assigned in 'Joystick Options' 

image.png

Edited by AdrianL
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

For future reference, in the Profile section in VPC Configuration app, note/save somewhere the USB Vendor Id and USB Product Id of your stick and the same for the throttle. If it changes on you, you can set it back to what it was and then press 'reset'

image.png

Ok much thanks for the info I will be sure and do that! Cause this caused an unexpected royal PITB!.

Anyway never mind on my post above, finally got it figured out - really not sure how, but I now have my TX buttons properly assigned in VA. Whew!

:thumbup:

Much thanks have those ID's saved to my computer now ! Hopefully will save me a lot of grief should it happen again.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

For whatever reason I just can not get my hat switch on my VIrpil CM3 throttle to operate TX buttons. I have uninstalled and clean installed fresh Vaicom Pro and it still is not working. I assign the button press and it assigns ok, but once back into Voice Attack for testing they just do not work.

I am at a total loss here. Never had this kind of trouble with Vaicom before so I do not know what is up. I started with a clean install of Vaicom and imported the vap file fresh. Test shows I have all the commands. From all indications it should be working, but it is not. I have Joystick 1 enabled which is what I use for PTT. 

I am royally stumped. I have assigned PTT to these buttons plenty of times in the past with no issue, no idea what is going on here. Vaicom Log file not showing anything strange either.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear?  Thanks,

Edited by dburne

Don B

7 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok so a bit of a story here. For some unknown reason except maybe to Virpil,  My gear decided it needed all new GUID's in the Virpil software and windows. All I did was change a mount for the stick, nothing else. Did not even move the USB plug to another port, used same one. In any event, I have spent most of the day today putting all my button assignments for the Hornet back in. GUID changed on my CM3 stick, my CM3 throttle, my MFG  rudder pedals. PITB!

So now after re-assigning those I was going to fly for a while, but no my Vaicom Pro/Voice Attack - well it is not working either. Guess the GUID changed on my buttons I used to control Vaicom commands. Only problem is , I now can not get it's setup to even recognize the button presses on my throttle when trying to assign. None of them. I tried installing Vaicom Pro clean again, but not dice still same result. Kind of at a loss here, hoping maybe someone has some ideas?

Thanks for any tips, this is driving me nuts.

Most likely VoiceAttack is still looking for buttons under the old GUID and not seeing button presses associated with the new one. Go into VoiceAttack options (not your VAICOM PRO profile), General tab, and click on "Joystick Options." "Unassign" the old joysticks (the ones with the old GUID) and then enable new ones. Push OK. Then OK again. You may also need to update the button settings on your TX commands in the VAICOM PRO profile. I went through this drill just recently when I got a new throttle.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

5 hours ago, sthompson said:

Most likely VoiceAttack is still looking for buttons under the old GUID and not seeing button presses associated with the new one. Go into VoiceAttack options (not your VAICOM PRO profile), General tab, and click on "Joystick Options." "Unassign" the old joysticks (the ones with the old GUID) and then enable new ones. Push OK. Then OK again. You may also need to update the button settings on your TX commands in the VAICOM PRO profile. I went through this drill just recently when I got a new throttle.

Thanks much! I gave that a shot and it did not work. I can assign the button presses in VA fine, but when I try to use no button presses are seen by VA for those same assigned buttons.

Don B

Going to try a clean install of Voice Attack this morning along with Vaicom Pro. I had done clean install of Vaicom, so might as well try the same with Voice Attack.

Don B

@AdrianL
That was some tip!

@dburne I'm really surprised @sthompson procedure didn't work. Did you unassign, then restart VoiceAttack, then assign, and then edit the TXs?
Crossing my fingers for you!
I have "bugged" VA Gary to request for more than four assigned devices. To be honest, he should just recode the whole thing and just let us press buttons on any device as we see fit. But it seems like that whole gang is not into flight sims and peripherals. Oh, well! Their loss.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Made a little progress this morning. I have set a button to press and release for TX1. However it is not working as intended, I have to press the button to get listening started, then press again for listening to suspend. Can't seem to get it to listen on press and then suspend on release. Have to hit the button each time to first get it to listen and then to get it to suspend. 

Vaicom.jpg

Edited by dburne

Don B

Made a little progress this morning. I have set a button to press and release for TX1. However it is not working as intended, I have to press the button to get listening started, then press again for listening to suspend. Can't seem to get it to listen on press and then suspend on release. Have to hit the button each time to first get it to listen and then to get it to suspend. 

Vaicom.jpg.23c3db743278e7dae20f4a705ac1c603.jpg
Look at the "actions" column. Seems the plugin won't be invoked. Take a look at TX2 press, and compare and edit to the correct settings. Not at home or I would have shown it.

Cheers!

9 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Look at the "actions" column. Seems the plugin won't be invoked. Take a look at TX2 press, and compare and edit to the correct settings. Not at home or I would have shown it.

Cheers!

Sorry my bad, that SS I posted must have been from a little earlier. I have since rectified that, here is latest image:

null

image.jpeg

When I press button 31, it goes from listening to suspended immediately on that one button press.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

When I push the button I have assigned for press and release, it immediately does a press-release almost instantaneously. Never stops at listening. I tried assigning to a different button with same result. I have the button assigned for a press, and also for a release. No idea why it is not doing properly.

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

When I push the button I have assigned for press and release, it immediately does a press-release almost instantaneously. Never stops at listening. I tried assigning to a different button with same result. I have the button assigned for a press, and also for a release. No idea why it is not doing properly.

It might help to see the VA log (with VAICOM debugging turned on first) when this happens.

I don't have Virpil hardware and so cannot provide detailed advice. However if I were having this issue with my VKB hardware I would first go into the stick configuration software and run some button tests to make sure the press and release are working as expected. It's possible, for example, that your stick is sending a pulse when you press and hold, instead of holding the virtual button down.

It also occurred to me that this might be related to the SRS/VOIP integration settings in VAICOM PRO, some of which require special setup of the TX commands. You might look into that if you have used SRS/VOIP integration. I've found it to be very unnatural and so use a completely different approach from the one in the VAICOM PRO manual.

Finally, are you sure you have the TX programmed correctly? Consider activating a clean VAICOM PRO profile, then export the TX section to its own profile. Then import and switch to that profile (which will have only the TX commands) and edit it until it's correct, and export it as a new VAP file. Finally, switch to your regular VAICOM PRO profile and import the edited profile for your TX commands.

One last thought: If the switch in GUID you experienced was not related to a hardware change (e.g. replugging in the stick after having it disconnected from its usual USB port) then you might suspect a hardware problem, such as a loose connection somewhere, as the ultimate culprit. Personally, I never unplug my flight sim peripherals to avoid such problems.

Edited by sthompson

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Naw no problem with button presses, they are all seen and behave normally in the Virpil joystick tester.  No SRS here.

Yes I am sure on TX programming, have done it so many times in the past with no issue. Not now though for some reason. One interesting thing when I go to assign a tx button in Voice Attack, it first shows button 80 until I hit reset and then press the proper button which is 31. Not sure what is up with it showing 80 at first like that.

I did unplug and replug the stick back in when I was moving it to a new desk mount, but plugged it back into the same USB port it was in previously. Then all hell broke loose with the change in GUID that affected not only Virpil gear but all my other connected gear as well. Crazy. Thank you Virpil.

Edited by dburne

Don B

29 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yes I am sure on TX programming, have done it so many times in the past with no issue. Not now though for some reason. One interesting thing when I go to assign a tx button in Voice Attack, it first shows button 80 until I hit reset and then press the proper button which is 31. Not sure what is up with it showing 80 at first like that.

That happens to me as well. It's caused by some switches on my throttle that turn a particular button on continuously until I move the switch to a different setting, at which point another button goes on continuously. Evidently VA polls the stick immediately and finds a button pressed and assumes that's the one you want. Fortunately reset clears it, at which point you can press the correct button. So I don't think this is the source of your problem since everything is working fine for me event though I experience the same thing when I assign buttons within VA.

But what's happening in your VA log? There may be some clues there if you have enabled VAICOM debugging. (I leave VAICOM debugging on all of the time. Doesn't seem to add noticeable overhead.)

2 minutes ago, sthompson said:

That happens to me as well. It's caused by some switches on my throttle that turn a particular button on continuously until I move the switch to a different setting, at which point another button goes on continuously. Evidently VA polls the stick immediately and finds a button pressed and assumes that's the one you want. Fortunately reset clears it, at which point you can press the correct button. So I don't think this is the source of your problem since everything is working fine for me event though I experience the same thing when I assign buttons within VA.

But what's happening in your VA log? There may be some clues there if you have enabled VAICOM debugging. (I leave VAICOM debugging on all of the time. Doesn't seem to add noticeable overhead.)

Pretty sure I have checked that as well, and the log shows no errors or anything, all looks normal.

VAICOMPRO.log

Edited by dburne

Don B

Ok so thanks to a lot of help from a very patient Discord Member, I am squared away now - all is good!

Whew hard to believe it caused all those issues with Vaicom/Voice Attack. But she is back now and I am so glad, finally get to do some flying this week.

• Like 1

Don B

Well I have now my Hornet, Spit, and P-51 controls all set back up again. Whew, and yes I have the GUID's stored safely on my PC in case it ever happens again. Only thing left to set up is the Apache and I have taken a bit of a break currently from it in my training.

Finally this week I can do some flying, probably be tomorrow before I do , got some stuff happening today. Anxious to see if my increase of Ram from 32 to 64 Gb makes any noticeable difference. My performance using DFR is already pretty good. I have the next several days all free just for some flying.

• Like 1

Don B

Have been very ill most of the day, feeling somewhat better this evening so am now going through Windows Speech Recognition training for my new Steel Series headphones.

Hopefully tomorrow - I will finally be able to do some actual DCS flying! See how I like these headphones and also if going from 32-64 Gb of ram makes any noticeable difference.

• Like 1

Don B

On 10/3/2023 at 12:28 PM, dburne said:

Pretty sure I have checked that as well, and the log shows no errors or anything, all looks normal.

VAICOMPRO.log 1.08 kB · 4 downloads

Glad to hear that this is working for you again. But for the record, that is the VAICOMPRO log, not the VoiceAttack log. Also, it would be helpful for the future if you could report back what the fix was.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sthompson said:

Glad to hear that this is working for you again. But for the record, that is the VAICOMPRO log, not the VoiceAttack log. Also, it would be helpful for the future if you could report back what the fix was.

That would be hard to say. All my controller id's got wiped out with the Virpil software. I had to go back in and set them all up as new again. I guess that was the fix. And yes the wipe out also affected Voice Attack/Vaicom. Even my Point CTRL.  I have reported this to Virpil and they were appreciative of the info and are looking into it. Their software should not be allowed to touch non-Virpil devices.

On another note, I have done a crap load both yesterday and this morning of Windows Speech Recognition voice training for my new Headset. Hopefully that will go a long way in Voice Attack/Vaicom recognitions. 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

:thumbup:

Just tested. All back in working order now - whew! What a week it has been!

Hornet Super Carrier Persian Gulf Cold Start Mission. I use this one for all my testing. Seems I can no longer get wheel chocks removed. Chief confirms but they are not removed. I tried both with command and also going through Options Menu. Neither is working for me. 

• Like 1

Don B