joystick with damper

Shadok

I mostly fly helicopters and I'm thinking of getting the kit with the dampers if I buy a winwing joystick. However, I also fly airplanes from time to time, and I can't imagine dismantling the dampers every time I change aircraft. I'm wondering whether, in terms of feel, flying a plane with dampers and without springs is going to be awkward.

At the moment I'm using a microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2 joystick. Despite the lack of buttons, I'm afraid I'll regret buying a joystick without force feedback.

If you have any info, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks

If budget allows, get 2 bases with grips. I have the base bolted to the simrig and just undo the 4 top cap bolts and swap out the stick. I use an Orion2 with dampers only for helicopters and an Orion2 with springs and dampers for F/A-18 and F-15.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

1 hour ago, Shadok said:

Thanks, but I take it from your answer that flying planes with a joystick without a spring is to be avoided.

hmmmm, yes

En 5/10/2023 a las 20:26, Shadok dijo:

I mostly fly helicopters and I'm thinking of getting the kit with the dampers if I buy a winwing joystick. However, I also fly airplanes from time to time, and I can't imagine dismantling the dampers every time I change aircraft. I'm wondering whether, in terms of feel, flying a plane with dampers and without springs is going to be awkward.

At the moment I'm using a microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2 joystick. Despite the lack of buttons, I'm afraid I'll regret buying a joystick without force feedback.

If you have any info, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks

I use also a winwing orion base for planes and a sidewinder ffb2 for choppers, but I found the sidewinder ffb2 has a grat gooble center zone that makes the precision chopper handle very difficult. I am thinking also to buy a orion 2 only base with the dampers.....as far as I know the stick stays when you left it...

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

I have the Orion 2 base with F16EX grip. I use the dampers (greased with nyogel 767a... makes a huge difference. The dampers can't be adjusted precisely when dry). I don't remove the dampers when switching back to fixed wing, I just loosen the clamping screw so that the dampers aren't applying force and install the heavy spring cams. I use the light springs and just enough force on the dampers to allow the stick to stay in place when heli flying. I also have the 10cm extension. I had to remove the rubber boot since it applies centering force by itself. I just replaced it with stretchy spandex material for dust protection. With this only minimal force on the dampers is needed. I found the light spring cams were necessary, without them too much force was needed on the dampers to stop the stick from flopping off to the sides and pitch.

Using a cordless screwdriver I can do a complete switch on an average of 3 minutes. Only 4 screws hold the stick to the base and 4 screws holding the cams in. 

It makes heli flying a joy especially since I don't have to use the funky "Force Trim" in DCS.

Here's a picture of the spandex.

IMG_0243.JPG

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 2

hi everyone,

I'm coming from a Virpil WarBRD+ Warthog Grip but want to order an Orion 2 kit. The Virpil is really awesome but the extra buttons on the F-16EX are very attractive to me. But can someone please tell me what those dampers are for exactly? And why are they not suitable for fixed wing? Virpil has only springs.

Pentium II 233Mhz | 16MB RAM | 14.4kb Modem | 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive | Windows 3.1 with TM Warthog & TrackIR 5

22 hours ago, eFirehawk said:

hi everyone,

I'm coming from a Virpil WarBRD+ Warthog Grip but want to order an Orion 2 kit. The Virpil is really awesome but the extra buttons on the F-16EX are very attractive to me. But can someone please tell me what those dampers are for exactly? And why are they not suitable for fixed wing? Virpil has only springs.

If you fly helo's, the dampers enable you to move the stick to any position and let it stay there (springs aren't fitted). When you fly fixed wing you need springs to recenter but if you fit dampers as well, the spring effect is softened....depending on how tight the dampers are

Edited by MustangSally

• 5 weeks later...

I use dampers for both Helos and jets....read my post above

I run the dampers with springs for jets......helps with  smoothness