Vario Aero Owners - ARE YOU HAPPY?

Motomouse

Add me to the list of current G2 owners toying with the Aero upgrade now that they are 50% cheaper.

Question for you long time Aero owners… how many base stations do you really need?  Is it really 2?  I’m not a huge fan of the additional wires and buzzing they bring into play but I ask because I don’t have a great room setup for multiple base stations.  I have a shelf at my immediate 11 o’clock (if I’m seated at my desk aka “sim pit”) and another shelf at my 6-7 o’clock behind me so I’m a little worried about tracking if I’m looking to my 3-4-5 o’clock.  Should that be something of a concern on my end in your opinion?  

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

1 hour ago, Twwhitey said:

Add me to the list of current G2 owners toying with the Aero upgrade now that they are 50% cheaper.

Question for you long time Aero owners… how many base stations do you really need?  Is it really 2?  I’m not a huge fan of the additional wires and buzzing they bring into play but I ask because I don’t have a great room setup for multiple base stations.  I have a shelf at my immediate 11 o’clock (if I’m seated at my desk aka “sim pit”) and another shelf at my 6-7 o’clock behind me so I’m a little worried about tracking if I’m looking to my 3-4-5 o’clock.  Should that be something of a concern on my end in your opinion?  

For seated only play you should be fine. You might occasionally have some tracking issue if move head around too far, I do not know what that would be. I have 2 Index 2.0 base stations and have fantastic coverage. Try the one and see how you make out, I think many flight simmers do.

The Index 2.0 base stations are quite good, I never hear mine at all and I have excellent hearing. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

For seated only play you should be fine. You might occasionally have some tracking issue if move head around too far, I do not know what that would be. I have 2 Index 2.0 base stations and have fantastic coverage. Try the one and see how you make out, I think many flight simmers do.

The Index 2.0 base stations are quite good, I never hear mine at all and I have excellent hearing. 

Thanks @dburne . I have to admit I’ve paid particular attention to your commentary and experience with the Aero as I think your simming/VR goals are seemingly similar to mine so I appreciate your input.  It appears that on top of the enhanced technology the Aero introduces (above and beyond that of the G2) the new DFR functionality is a real game changer so with the 50% cost reduction and the lack luster competition I’m inclined to make the jump at this point…

thanks again 

• Like 2

i9-9900K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080Ti 11GB, 32GB DDR4 @ 3866MHZ, 1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, 1TB WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD, Oculus Rift S

9 hours ago, Twwhitey said:

Thanks @dburne . I have to admit I’ve paid particular attention to your commentary and experience with the Aero as I think your simming/VR goals are seemingly similar to mine so I appreciate your input.  It appears that on top of the enhanced technology the Aero introduces (above and beyond that of the G2) the new DFR functionality is a real game changer so with the 50% cost reduction and the lack luster competition I’m inclined to make the jump at this point…

thanks again 

You are most welcome. Yes in DCS eye tracked DFR with the Aero is absolutely incredible and a big game changer in performance dept. Keep in mind one can do that also with Quest Pro and Pimax Crystal. No idea how they compare but from reports seems to work well.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, Motomouse said:

I ordered a second base station, one works flawless during normal flight, but during dogfights i loose tracking sometimes with one station only.

Yup dogfight sceniors really need 2 base stations. I have 1 in front about 6' and 1 behind me on my 6 about 6' also, my tracking is solid in dogfights and checking 6. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

5 hours ago, Burt said:

Yup dogfight sceniors really need 2 base stations. I have 1 in front about 6' and 1 behind me on my 6 about 6' also, my tracking is solid in dogfights and checking 6. 

Right on - noted… I was planning on getting 2 just to be safe… this thread has certainly reinforced that direction… thanks 

• Like 2

Follow up questions for you owners out there…are hand controllers required?  Not necessarily for in-game/cockpit use but I’ve found that sometimes I’m forced to fire up a G2 controller when I’m stuck in a WMR or SteamVR menu… it’s rare but happens.  Do you guys all have controllers?  I’m cool dropping 2x$149 for two 2.0 base stations but throwing Index controllers on top of that we’re getting back into the $2k all-in range which initially put me off the Aero.

are controllers required for anything even if not planned for use in games?  I don’t have any plan to play room scale or non-seated sims….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Twwhitey said:

Follow up questions for you owners out there…are hand controllers required?  Not necessarily for in-game/cockpit use but I’ve found that sometimes I’m forced to fire up a G2 controller when I’m stuck in a WMR or SteamVR menu… it’s rare but happens.  Do you guys all have controllers?  I’m cool dropping 2x$149 for two 2.0 base stations but throwing Index controllers on top of that we’re getting back into the $2k all-in range which initially put me off the Aero.

are controllers required for anything even if not planned for use in games?  I don’t have any plan to play room scale or non-seated sims….

No not required at all.

• Like 3

Don B

6 hours ago, MAThrasher said:

I don't have any controllers, and my mouse works great for everything.  The only thing I use the Aero for is DCS.

4 hours ago, dburne said:

No not required at all.

Ok great thanks gents - I was hoping a pair of controllers wasn’t a required expense that would largely sit unused in a box in the closet… cheers

I checked again and was able to order prescription lens inserts from VR Optician for my eye strength.

I decided to order the inserts also because I already detected a small scratch caused by my glasses (not visible yet in VR view) and I am very happy with the aero and want to use it for several years without damaging it. 

The eye tracking is working better with the inserts, the focus area is moving more calmly. The image also is a little bit sharper than with my glasses, probably because the correct distance between the lenses.

My eyebrow just touches the inserts just a little bit. I have already adjusted, but perhaps I will add a little bit bigger mask in the future.

Edited by Motomouse
  • Like 1

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

19 hours ago, Motomouse said:

I checked again and was able to order prescription lens inserts from VR Optician for my eye strength.

I decided to order the inserts also because I already detected a small scratch caused by my glasses (not visible yet in VR view) and I am very happy with the aero and want to use it for several years without damaging it. 

The eye tracking is working better with the inserts, the focus area is moving more calmly. The image also is a little bit sharper than with my glasses, probably because the correct distance between the lenses.

My eyebrow just touches the inserts just a little bit. I have already adjusted, but perhaps I will add a little bit bigger mask in the future.

Yeah I absolutely love my prescription inserts in my Aero, made a big difference for me.

Don B