Mi-8 OBS mode - heading is not correct compare to RWY heading or helicopter present heading

Maverick24

Hello,

I would like to try simulate "false" VOR approach with using NS430. I need precise heading of runway and this heading should be set to an OBS mode for URMO. 

I am at FARP next to RWY 08 with the same heading asi RWY is. In editor is absolute same heading. When I start up my NS430 and set OBS mode for URMO with heading 087° (RWY heading from ED maps at kneeboard). Magenta line should go exactly through URMO point with exactly the same heading as RWY. It is not. The line should be go exactly through both NDnullBs. It is not. Where I making a mistake please?

Thank you

Jiri

image.png

The runway heading is 93 degrees true, and that's what the GPS is showing. Your other cockpit instruments and maps show 87 which is magnetic runway heading.

The real GNS430 can be switched between true and magnetic north, don't know if you can do that with the one in DCS.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

44 minutes ago, some1 said:

The real GNS430 can be switched between true and magnetic north, don't know if you can do that with the one in DCS.

The DCS NS430 can be switched between True and Magnetic - however it's bugged on the Caucasus map and so you should use True bearings in the NS430's default "Magnetic" setting.

2 hours ago, Maverick24 said:

I need precise heading of runway and this heading should be set to an OBS mode for URMO.

Note - although the NS430 can draw an OBS course line as required (on a North Up map), OBS lateral/cross track guidance is broken and guides a "Direct To" path to the selected navigation point (rather than to the OBS course line).

2 hours ago, Maverick24 said:

Where I making a mistake please?

Unfortunately the DCS NS430 is both limited in features and buggy - so you are not making mistakes - rather you are finding/learning workarounds.

While the NS430 looks "pretty", for practical purposes - you should focus on learning how to make best use of the accurately modelled flight instruments (wherever possible) in DCS's full fidelity modules and use the NS430 for cross checks and situational awareness.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

On 10/12/2023 at 1:24 PM, Ramsay said:

The DCS NS430 can be switched between True and Magnetic - however it's bugged on the Caucasus map and so you should use True bearings in the NS430's default "Magnetic" setting.

Note - although the NS430 can draw an OBS course line as required (on a North Up map), OBS lateral/cross track guidance is broken and guides a "Direct To" path to the selected navigation point (rather than to the OBS course line).

Unfortunately the DCS NS430 is both limited in features and buggy - so you are not making mistakes - rather you are finding/learning workarounds.

While the NS430 looks "pretty", for practical purposes - you should focus on learning how to make best use of the accurately modelled flight instruments (wherever possible) in DCS's full fidelity modules and use the NS430 for cross checks and situational awareness.

If you use true heading you will get nonsense heading with added variation to true heading. Thats why he reporting it. 

In other words. When NS430 calls it magnetic heading it is true and when it calls it true it is totaly off number. 

4 hours ago, DeMonteur said:

If you use true heading you will get nonsense heading with added variation to true heading. Thats why he reporting it.

I disagree.

I believe @Maverick24 screenshot shows he is using the default "Magnetic" NS430 setting and wonders why entering the runway's F10 magnetic heading into the OBS doesn't work as expected.

4 hours ago, DeMonteur said:

When NS430 calls it magnetic heading it is true and when it calls it true it is totaly off number. 

Glad we both agree the NS430 is bugged on the Caucasus map if switched to use "True". 

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080