Switching From Reverb G2 to Varjo Aero

drspankle

2 hours ago, MAThrasher said:

Speaking from my experience, it was very plug and play.  I went to the Varjo website and followed their setup guide.  Everything worked on the very first try and it is still working without any issues.  The Steam base stations also worked on the first try after plugging them in.  Perhaps I was just unusually lucky!  

The documentation (Varjo.com -> Support -> Getting started)  is very nice and easy to follow.

Awesome mate - appreciate it.

Dr Spankle

10 hours ago, drspankle said:

Any issue with the setup or any advicxe on setting it up?  I've seen a lot of older posts on here about getting started but it looks like a lot of issues have been ironed out.  Was it mostly plug and play?  And what lighthouses do you use?

Cheers,

Dr Spankle

I uninstalled the WMR bits first. I disabled the openXR Toolkit for DCS as it's incompatible with the Varjo Foviated DFR software. Installed Varjo Base, went through the setup, and it worked. I then set up DFR and had crashes on start. I uninstalled it and reset my Nvidia settings to default and reinstalled Varjo Foviated and everything worked fine. Re-applied the Nvidia control panel and profile inspector settings and everything had been perfect ever since. In all about an hour including base station setup.

No crashes when launching in VR ... Works every time, which I couldn't say for the G2.

1 hour ago, drspankle said:

Mine arrives tomorrow - the HTC base stations arrive today.  No more DCS with the windows open and a fan blasting in my face to prevent my piece of <profanity> G2 from overheating ...

honestly if I wasn't getting failures in my G2 (which I have had since launch) I would likely stick with my G2, I think it is an excellent product (flawed yes, but still excellent).  That said I live in the UK where it is no t "hot"... so i have never had an overheating problem 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

28 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

honestly if I wasn't getting failures in my G2 (which I have had since launch) I would likely stick with my G2, I think it is an excellent product (flawed yes, but still excellent).  That said I live in the UK where it is no t "hot"... so i have never had an overheating problem 

You won't be disappointed, perhaps a smidge with the vertical FOV, but it quickly becomes a non issue

14900KS | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

3 minutes ago, zildac said:

You won't be disappointed, perhaps a smidge with the vertical FOV, but it quickly becomes a non issue

I have been mulling on this point and it was one of the "should I shouldn't I" discussions so i did some dogfighting, and the thing that made me assume it was a non-issue was the lack of clarity out of the sweet spot on the G2, so a lot of time when it theoretically would be useful would be for either tracking instruments or tracking target, but in a practical sense at the moment i'm still having to move my head quite a lot even if the "object" is in view to be able to really see it rather than a blob with the G2... do i stopped worrying about it and pulled the trigger. i think it was a toss up between the Aero and the Crystal, and while the crystal hs a better FOV i just wanted something that would  "work" and with a European warrantee, in case it went sideways.  I  have my lighthouses in place and my VR optician lens inserts, and i now have a delivery date, the 18th ... 🙂

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

6 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I have been mulling on this point and it was one of the "should I shouldn't I" discussions so i did some dogfighting, and the thing that made me assume it was a non-issue was the lack of clarity out of the sweet spot on the G2, so a lot of time when it theoretically would be useful would be for either tracking instruments or tracking target, but in a practical sense at the moment i'm still having to move my head quite a lot even if the "object" is in view to be able to really see it rather than a blob with the G2... do i stopped worrying about it and pulled the trigger. i think it was a toss up between the Aero and the Crystal, and while the crystal hs a better FOV i just wanted something that would  "work" and with a European warrantee, in case it went sideways.  I  have my lighthouses in place and my VR optician lens inserts, and i now have a delivery date, the 18th ... 🙂

Completely agree, the ability to just move your eyes 90% of the time in the Aero and see clearly is a huge benefit over the G2. I toyed with an "upgrade" from the Aero to the Crystal, but the support horror stories and flaky software (at least initially) and the fact I'm UK based put me off. I'll hold out for now.

You're going to have a great Xmas! 👍 And don't pass up the DFR options (Varjo Foveated or Quad Views Foveated - some issues with eye tracking occasionally with the latter) it's a game changer performance wise.

• Like 1

14900KS | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

6 minutes ago, zildac said:

Completely agree, the ability to just move your eyes 90% of the time in the Aero and see clearly is a huge benefit over the G2. I toyed with an "upgrade" from the Aero to the Crystal, but the support horror stories and flaky software (at least initially) and the fact I'm UK based put me off. I'll hold out for now.

You're going to have a great Xmas! 👍 And don't pass up the DFR options (Varjo Foveated or Quad Views Foveated - some issues with eye tracking occasionally with the latter) it's a game changer performance wise.

roger that 🙂 fingers crossed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I'm in the UK too and after about 30 minutes the front top left gets hot and then the screens go blank one aftar the other. It stays like this for 10 seconds or so before coming back, before repeating all over again every 10 seconds.  HP won't even answer my emails or letters regarding it!  A brief search of the forums show that plenty of other people have had the same problem and also experienced a similar lack of customer service from HP - they really are appalling.  I have to have the windows open and a fan blasting at my face to prevent it from happening!  If mine wasn't faulty I'd be happy with it, but it is, so I'm not.

Just the faff of setting up something new now.  The base stations arrived today so I'll crack on with it at the weekend.

Dr Spankle

Got it yesterday and it took around an hour to set it all up. For some reason the desktop was permanently in my right 4 o'clock high position but it eventually fixed itself. The clarity is something else when you look around the cockpit! Plus I don't have to sit in a freezing room with a fan blasting my face any more! Result.