What's up with the price of button boxes?

21 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

11 for me too. Apparently I have a lot of Xbox controllers. @Hempstead What does your DCS log say?

image.png

DCS doesn't list my Warthog stick, because the grip is temporarily disconnected, while it never are any issues when it is.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Not this Windows Device window... R-click on any one of them, say TWCS Throttle, and select Game Controller Settings... In that non-resizeable popup window... If I have Razer's two keyboard generated joystick... then TM's Viper gets bumped off the list. Once it gets bump off this list... I can't see it in DCS.

So, I am now suspecting that it's something between Razer joystick driver and TM Viper using some older DirectInput API. And BTW, I am using Windows 10.

On 10/29/2023 at 1:13 PM, Richi said:
Connecting a couple of switches to a PC is cheap and an afternoon job. The problem is everything else that needs to be produced. 🙂
20230614-000818.jpg

whats that twin lever axis thing next to the throttles? 

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Not this Windows Device window... R-click on any one of them, say TWCS Throttle, and select Game Controller Settings... In that non-resizeable popup window... If I have Razer's two keyboard generated joystick... then TM's Viper gets bumped off the list. Once it gets bump off this list... I can't see it in DCS.
So, I am now suspecting that it's something between Razer joystick driver and TM Viper using some older DirectInput API. And BTW, I am using Windows 10.
Oh, joy.cpl? They're all there.
But hold on. Razer "Tartarus-something"? Disconnect and/or uninstall it. Come to think of it another user a few years back had some limit to how many devices could be connected while that one was plugged in.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Oh, joy.cpl? They're all there.
But hold on. Razer "Tartarus-something"? Disconnect and/or uninstall it. Come to think of it another user a few years back had some limit to how many devices could be connected while that one was plugged in.

@MAXsenna OMG! You are right... it's the F'ing Razer Tartarus Pro! It's not even Razer Huntsman v.2's virtual joystick.

I basically "Remove Device" on Razer Tartarus... (which will come back on next boot), and then started plugging in stuff, whether I use them or not... 2x MFDs, 2 Warthog Throttles, TM Viper throttle, TPR, Boeing TCA yoke, throttle... and then all all showed up in joy.cp.... and in DCS as well.

I removed Huntsman v.2 device as well... but this one is annoying... in which it comes back all by itself a couple of minutes later, but it does not impose that 8 device limit. So, even Huntsman v.2's virtual joystick showed up inside joy.cpl as well as in DCS!

Thanks a lot, man!!!

• Like 1

@MAXsenna OMG! You are right... it's the F'ing Razer Tartarus Pro! It's not even Razer Huntsman v.2's virtual joystick.
I basically "Remove Device" on Razer Tartarus... (which will come back on next boot), and then started plugging in stuff, whether I use them or not... 2x MFDs, 2 Warthog Throttles, TM Viper throttle, TPR, Boeing TCA yoke, throttle... and then all all showed up in joy.cp.... and in DCS as well.
I removed Huntsman v.2 device as well... but this one is annoying... in which it comes back all by itself a couple of minutes later, but it does not impose that 8 device limit. So, even Huntsman v.2's virtual joystick showed up inside joy.cpl as well as in DCS!

Thanks a lot, man!!!
Happy to help! Apologies for not connecting the dots immediately!

Oh….  There is more!

Of corse I rebooted many times before and always got that problem w/ 8 device limit.

After I “removed” the Razer Tartarus device, after reboot, of course it came back. But… now everything still work, including the two virtual Razer XBox360 devices I removed before to fit everything under 8 devices. Now, all 11 devices showed up in joy.cpl as well as DCS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richi said:

That's prop and mixture control. 3D printing, attachable according to aircraft type.

do you know where i can get it?

Edited by eatthis

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

• 3 months later...

Small resurrection

14 buttons

15 toggles (Various On/Off/Mom types)

1 pull switch

1 rotary with push

total of 49 'switches'

Including cases, cables, and Leo Bodnar, I'd estimate I'm out €175 total

Which isn't 'cheap' but could have done cheaper going Arduino route (K.I.S.S. with the Bodnar), housing it in one case -Had a lot of connections left on the BBI-64, so added a 2nd box and buying the absolute cheapest switches and buttons available (and/or in bulk)

It certainly gives me more than many 'professionally' made button boxes at a lower price

Does it look pretty? Nope!

Does it work? Most definitely! With the added bonus that this caters more to my personal wishes (And had fun with the building experience)

20240221_183838[1].jpg

Few things I learned:

-Don't go for the cheapest wires - Also: Don't go for the shortest wires, 200mm was at some points barely enough to connect the wires to the center mounted board in the (200x120mm) case

-Some 12mm buttons are somewhat too small in ergonomics for adult fingers (hence the bigger buttons on the top box, note both still are 12mm mounting holes)

-Don't drill too close to the edges

-Drilling holes by hand is a crapshoot, regardless of lines and measurements

-Led lighting is a whole other story

• Like 3
  • Intel I5 13600k / AsRock Z790 Steel Legend / Gigabyte RTX3060ti OC 8Gb / Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 64Gb / Adata 960 Max / HP Reverb G2 v2
  • Virpil MT50 Mongoost T50cm Stick, T50 Throttle,  ACE Interceptor Rudder Pedals / WinWing Orion2  18, 18 UFC&HUD / Thrustmaster MFD Cougar / Logitech Flight Panel / VKB SEM V  / DIY Button Box

image.png