Advantages to the Russian style of artificial horizon?

James DeSouza

Hello, the Russian style of artificial horizon has always struck me as being objectively worse than the western style as, because it doesn't simulate looking out of a window like the western style does it is not intuitive and so requires extra thought.  But obviously it must have had some kind of advantage or the soviets and russians wouldn't have kept using it, so I am wondering if anyone knows what those advantages are.

guess it depends on how you see it or simply what you're used to. the soviet AH lets you steer your aircraft around a seemingly fixed horizon, kinda like an RC plane. i think that western AH are actually more cumbersome, because they require an interpretation: "my horizon is flipping left - i must be turning right". it's just that once you're used to this, it becomes automatic. and that's why we get totally confused when looking at a soviet style AH 😁

10 hours ago, James DeSouza said:

But obviously it must have had some kind of advantage or the soviets and russians wouldn't have kept using it, so I am wondering if anyone knows what those advantages are.

When it comes to this kind of thing, sometimes the advantage simply is all your training and documentation is based on the old thing and it would be a change to update to a new thing. I don't know if that is actually the case here, but it's not an uncommon occurrence.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

10 hours ago, James DeSouza said:

Hello, the Russian style of artificial horizon has always struck me as being objectively worse than the western style as, because it doesn't simulate looking out of a window like the western style does it is not intuitive and so requires extra thought.  But obviously it must have had some kind of advantage or the soviets and russians wouldn't have kept using it, so I am wondering if anyone knows what those advantages are.

I think it is neither an advantage nor disadvantage, but simply something to get used to. Keep in mind, that real pilots don't switch types nearly as often as we do, let alone from an eastern type to a western type.

HOWEVER, when they do that can actually cause tragedy when they have to rely on instruments in already stressed situations. I can think of at least one fatal mishap, where this transition has been put to the contributing factors. 

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

That's the thing though, the idea that it is "just what you're used to" doesn't apply to the western style of artificial horizon.  The western style of artificial horizon just simulates looking out a window.  You see the horizon move like you would see the horizon move if you were just looking out.  Anyone can figure that out, even a 70 year old who has never seen an artificial horizon before.

The Russian system requires conditioning or interpretation, the western system just works based on what you expect to see.

3 hours ago, James DeSouza said:

The Russian system requires conditioning or interpretation, the western system just works based on what you expect to see.

Think of the Russian system as a roll indicator and it all becomes clear. It's just about how you think about instruments. You're not trying to simulate the horizon, you're showing how far the aircraft is rolled. In a way, this makes more sense when you don't have an outside reference. This is especially visible in designs that roll the airplane symbol and not the ball (they're also mechanically simpler, which is another plus).

I believe the reason is engineering (and therefore cost & complexity).  The Russians are often fond of simple solutions.  A Western AI requires additional internal complications to show the 'correct' indication, for example, if you pitch up 10deg, then in order for the AI to show a correct 10deg pitch up then the ball needs to pitch itself up (i.e invert the movement).  The Russian one simply remains aligned with the horizon and shows a true 10deg pitch down - which with training is interpreted as a pitch up.

Laptop Pilot. Alienware X17, i9 11980HK 5.0GHz, 16GB RTX 3080, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, NVMe SSD. 2x TM Warthog, Hornet grip, Virpil CM2 & TPR pedals, FSSB-R3, Cougar throttle, Viper pit WIP (XBox360 when traveling). Rift S.

NTTR, SoH, Syria, Sinai, Channel, South Atlantic, CA, Supercarrier, FC3, A-10CII, F-5, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Harrier, M2000, F1, Viggen, MiG-21, Yak-52, L-39, MB-339, CE2, Gazelle, Ka-50, Mi-8, Mi-24, Huey, Apache, Spitfire, Mossie.  Wishlist: Tornado, Jaguar, Buccaneer, F-117 and F-111.

That's actually how the ball on MiG-19 works, for it this was indeed a technical thing. Later MiG AHs don't have this. We're talking the roll indication, which shows you the position of your wings relative to horizon in Russian aircraft. In a 45 degree bank, your roll indicator will be 45 degrees to fixed HUD elements and 90 degrees to the real horizon. This is pretty intuitive if you've started with it, but if you start with Western style, it can be hard to get used to.