Stutter Fest and Freezing

Checkmate

I wanted to reach out because I am not sure what to do at this point with my system. I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or the patch 2.9. Before the patch I did not have these issues and after patch I have had a serious problem with freezing and stuttering when flying around the carrier in the F/A-18c or dogfighting 1v1 in the F-15e. It seems to be brought on when I pass other objects. If I fly by another aircraft like in the merge or pass by the carrier in the break I get stuttering. I have tried turning things off or lower settings to no avail. My system is not bleading edge, but it is not that old either. My system is an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x, 128 GB Ram, RTX 2080 TI and M.2 SSD drives. I was thinking about upgrading the video board to a 4080, but at this point I can't tell if that would really help. I'm not sure what to try to solve this problem or hope that ED is working on it.

In the track I included I can turn on my FrameRate RCtrl-Pause and when I pass the AI aircraft in the merge it start's to stutter momentally.

Also, I can't fly around the carrier anymore without a lot of stuttering.  When I approach the boat on the Stern side and look down at the boat on my left it is a stutter fest until I pass the boat and when I approach the carrier for landing it just pauses for almost a 1/2 second just before touching down. Not very smooth or fluid like it was before. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dcs.log DxDiag.txt 1v1 F-15E vs F-5.trk

Edited by Checkmate

Hello,

I remember at one point users with a high core count had issues and maybe it is rearing it's ugly head again here. I seen this a couple times in your log file:

2023-11-07 17:05:15.347 WARNING WORLD (Main): ModelTimeQuantizer: ANTIFREEZE ENABLED

I am pretty sure where they are the game stuttered.. 

Do you use any mods and have you tried to delete the FXO and metashaders folder and do a slow clean and repair of DCS??

Also you have Tacview running try turning that off during the test and refly the mission.

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

1 hour ago, The_Nephilim said:

Hello,

I remember at one point users with a high core count had issues and maybe it is rearing it's ugly head again here. I seen this a couple times in your log file:

2023-11-07 17:05:15.347 WARNING WORLD (Main): ModelTimeQuantizer: ANTIFREEZE ENABLED

I am pretty sure where they are the game stuttered.. 

Do you use any mods and have you tried to delete the FXO and metashaders folder and do a slow clean and repair of DCS??

Also you have Tacview running try turning that off during the test and refly the mission.

I tried deleting both FXO and metashaders, which did not seem to having any effect. I also deleted DCS and reinstalled it on a diffrent drive to see if that would help. I updated my Nvida drivers, which I was hoping would help, but had no effect either.

I'm don't think I am running any mods at this time other than the aircraft I downloaded from DCS World and Tacview. I tried turning tacview off and it still stuttering.

If this a Core issue then it's beyond me since I am that tech savy and I'm not sure how to even mess with that. 

Edited by Checkmate

• Checkmate changed the title to Stutter Fest and Freezing

Yes IDK maybe try and put in a ticket with ED??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I looked on the forums and found an older post with the message you had and it turned out to be some scripts he was running?? Are you using any scripts? Also I am not sure it is a core issue I just thought I remembered a post that mentioned problems with more then 18 cores I really don't remeber the particulars..

I would if nobody else has made a post here about that. So do put in a ticked and just mention you have the sutter fest and I think you can attatch a log file too.. I am sure they should be able to at least help to some degree or narrow down what the issue is and get it fixed..

Edited by The_Nephilim

20 hours ago, Checkmate said:

I wanted to reach out because I am not sure what to do at this point with my system. I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or the patch 2.9. Before the patch I did not have these issues and after patch I have had a serious problem with freezing and stuttering when flying around the carrier in the F/A-18c or dogfighting 1v1 in the F-15e. It seems to be brought on when I pass other objects. If I fly by another aircraft like in the merge or pass by the carrier in the break I get stuttering. I have tried turning things off or lower settings to no avail. My system is not bleading edge, but it is not that old either. My system is an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970x, 128 GB Ram, RTX 2080 TI and M.2 SSD drives. I was thinking about upgrading the video board to a 4080, but at this point I can't tell if that would really help. I'm not sure what to try to solve this problem or hope that ED is working on it.

In the track I included I can turn on my FrameRate RCtrl-Pause and when I pass the AI aircraft in the merge it start's to stutter momentally.

Also, I can't fly around the carrier anymore without a lot of stuttering.  When I approach the boat on the Stern side and look down at the boat on my left it is a stutter fest until I pass the boat and when I approach the carrier for landing it just pauses for almost a 1/2 second just before touching down. Not very smooth or fluid like it was before. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

dcs.log 176.37 kB · 6 downloads DxDiag.txt 116.09 kB · 6 downloads 1v1 F-15E vs F-5.trk 1.62 MB · 4 downloads

Mate there are so many people with this exact problem, they mostly talk on Reddit. I personally have done everything suggested including a fresh install with no mods and nothing works. It's 2.9 that is the problem, their recent "fix" for these 2.9 problems made it even worse.

• Like 3

Planes: A-10C/II - FC3 - F/A-18C - F-16c - F-5 - F-15E - F-4E

Helicopters: UH-1H Huey - KA-50 Black Shark - AH-64D

Maps: Sinai - Normandy 2.0 - Channel - Syria - Persian Gulf - South Atlantic

Extras: Supercarrier - WWII Asset Pack

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Out of curiosity, do you have stutter when not surrounded by any objects? Like in the middle of the sea or at very edge of a land map.
I suspect something is off with the LOD of the objects, but can't put my finger on it. For me the stutter completely disappears when no objects are around.

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

38 minutes ago, Pavlin_33 said:

Out of curiosity, do you have stutter when not surrounded by any objects? Like in the middle of the sea or at very edge of a land map.
I suspect something is off with the LOD of the objects, but can't put my finger on it. For me the stutter completely disappears when no objects are around.

Stuttering for me is very random. A free flight in the p-47 on caucuses, microstutters like crazy, more so looking left and right when turning. But a Retribution mission on Sinai in the f-16 ( last night), aside from taxiing at the airbase with lots of objects and jets around, silky smooth the entire flight. ( 2d in SP with trackIR). I’ve never found a combination of actual settings that gets rid of it. This leads me to believe that it stems internally with how dcs processes all of the data in and out. My cpu and gpu aren’t even trying that hard on max settings yet still lots of random micro stutters and what seems like a skipped frame or two here and there. I can only think that the way DCS computes things is inefficient. But I'm no software engineer so what do I know😂

Edited by MadKreator
  • Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

1 hour ago, Pavlin_33 said:

Me too. I don't seem to have any stuttering when I am out over the ocean or on the coast away from other objects. 

Edited by Checkmate

I just did a test on single thread and it has micro stutters at 30-60 fps compared to MT which has massive stutters and freezes at 5-60 locked at 60fps and 5-120 fps unlocked. But weirdly turning off MSAA on ST makes things much MUCH worse giving me big freezes at 5-10fps. 2.9 makes no sense.

I hope ED are working on this.

PC SPECS: CPU, Intel i5 4670K @ 4.2GHz | MOBO, ASUS/Z87-A | MEMORY, HyperX FURY Series 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 Memory1833Mhz |GRAPHICS CARD, GIGABYTE RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6, 1920 Core, 1755Mhz | PSU, CoolerMaster Real Power Pro 1250W 80Plus | Flight Stick, Logitech X-56 | Rudder Pedals, Logitech G | O/S, Windows 10, 64bit | Hard Drives, Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

On 11/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, Pavlin_33 said:

It's a 2.9 versiom issue. I am in the same boat as you.

Well if that is the case then would'nt everybody suffer from stutters??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Nephilim said:

If it's not a 2.9 issue then why did ED issue a fix?

1 hour ago, truebrit said:

If it's not a 2.9 issue then why did ED issue a fix?

Hey I am not trying to get into an argument just asking a simple question. well it most likely is a 2.9 issue IDK but like I was saying if it was it does not seem to be global.. I am only seeking answers to why some users have issues why others do not..

But most times users post an issue with no data and expect an answer.. it would help if some users get their <profanity> together and post a good error report instead of just craping on the new updates.. Simple thing is you do not need to use Beta if you dont want the issues..

I currently have never experienced issues like most seem to have an I have lesser gear.. so I too am curious as to why I never seemed to have an issue why others do and with better gear.. it is a mystery to me and would love to solve it. that made me make my post about some common issues that have solved others issues..

I do not come here to argue and whatnot only to seek answers in this ever evolving mystery.. and to tell you the truth most users it ends up being something simple most times..

Edited by The_Nephilim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Nephilim said:

Because not everybody has the same hardware. There are people here on the forum that are basically running "super computers", when it comes to specifications, which are also affected by this bug. For me personally there is no performance difference between 2.8 and 2.9 - I get the same FPS, just that 2.9 freezes and 2.8 does not.

i5-4690K CPU 3.50Ghz @ 4.10GHz; 32GB DDR3 1600MHz; GeForce GTX 1660 Super; LG IPS225@1920x1080; Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB; Windows 10 Pro

Same here. Spike use of thé Gpu when Loading objects or textures. Tried everything to solve it and tweeking settings has minor effects. Ran really smooth and perfect in 2.8.

i7 12700kf rtx 4090 ddr 4 80Go quest 2 

I7 12700k RTX3080ti ddr4 80g Quest2 Winwing environnement !

It seems from what I have read online and from other members this is a 2.9 issue. Sometimes it helps to hear that others are experiencing the same issue because it gives other hope that maybe someday ED will fix these stutter issues. Let’s try and understand that most of us just can’t go out and buy new hardware as ED tries to update DCS to improve graphics. For those of us that fly online with a squad it is not an option to fly on 2.8 since the servers are all usually flying the latest beta version. It’s nice to know that not everyone is feeling the problem, but after looking at the forums it seems more people are effected than not. I think it’s helpful to hear from both sides so we can get an idea if their is hardware out their that is running DCS without stutters in DCS then at least their is hope that with new modules like the Phantom F-4E coming out that some day I will get the chance to fly it. If this issue was really something simple it would have been fixed by now. 

• Like 2

So, are we going to get any bug fixes this week?

And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard.

Micah 5:15

Getting the same issues massive studders at times.  Everything was fine under 2.8,  I remove the metashader and fxo folders and disabled all mods, i9 12900k, 4090, 64gb i get 100+ frames smooth and it will start studders to the point I crash at times.  Done every fix I can find. Had to stop flying with my group online till it's fixed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skipz said:

Getting the same issues massive studders at times.  Everything was fine under 2.8,  I remove the metashader and fxo folders and disabled all mods, i9 12900k, 4090, 64gb i get 100+ frames smooth and it will start studders to the point I crash at times.  Done every fix I can find. Had to stop flying with my group online till it's fixed. 

I know it's crazy, especially with that beast of a system you have. I have tried everything suggested and nothing has worked. I'm sure ED are working hard to fix it. It would be nice to get a quick update from them on what's going on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skipz said:

Does it still stutter if you go out to sea or at the very edge of a land map, where there are no objects?

I get the worst stuttering when I overfly six AI aircraft below me taxi or taxi by them.  If I hit F2, F3 or F10 it stutters as well. Trying flying the Instant Action Mission on the Sinai map for Free Flight. That has a bunch of aircraft on the field that I can over fly and it causes a stutter fest. If I go out over the cost it becomes fluid again.

Crazy advice, but if you have time and patience could you try setting the autopilot on and leaving the sim like that for an hour or two?
I have a weird hunch that after the sim finishes loading, what ever it's loading, the stutter stops. I had this happen to me yesterday on a server where after about 2 hours I had no stutter at the same field where the stutter was crazy on takeoff/taxi. Nothing much changed except that I was on the server for a long time which I suspect gave enough time for the sim to stabilize.
This is just a hunch as I have no real evidence to back this up. 😇

Interesting idea. I tried it with the Instant Action Mission using Free Flight on the Sinai Map. I flew over the coast as you suggested in the F-15E with autopilot holding me for about an hour. After holding off the coast I turned inboud for the airport. Once I got with in 10nm of the airport with all the AI moving around I descended down to 1500 feet and over flew the F-16s taxi to runway. Once I was over the F-16 it started to stutter pretty badly. It was very smooth up until that point. I guess this has something to do with textures loading, not sure.