Ultraleap / Leap Motion Controller 2 / Handtracking Enhancing VR Experience

Motomouse

Enhancing My VR Flight Sim Experience with Leap Motion on Varjo Aero

Introduction: I recently integrated the Leap Motion controller with my Varjo Aero, and I'm excited to share my experience and some helpful insights with the community.

Setup Challenges & Solutions: The first hurdle was the short USB cable that came with the Leap Motion. To fully utilize it with the HMD, a longer USB cable is essential. (USB 3.0 significantly improves tracking versus USB 2.0 tracking.)

F16 vs. F18 Experience: In my simulations, the Leap Motion truly shines in the F16 cockpit. The OpenXR touch points are more responsive and well-placed than in the F18. The side stick design in the F16 also makes accessing front controls easier, enhancing the experience.

Tracking Performance: OpenXR vs. Ultraleap: When it comes to tracking, I’ve found OpenXR tracking  (DCS VR Tab) to be superior to Ultraleap (DCS Special Tab) tracking, offering better touch points and fewer bugs.

Practical Usage: During flights, I primarily use hand tracking for front panel controls and MFDs. It's exceptionally immersive in the F16. For startup or side panel operations, I switch off VR hands with a HOTAS button and use a mouse positioned conveniently to my right.

Beyond Expectations: Initially skeptical, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Leap Motion. It's not just a novelty – it's an immersive addition to VR flying. It just amazing how easy and natural feeling it is, to push the MFD buttons with the virtual hand versus placing the mouse pointer over the button.

Your Thoughts? Have you tried a similar setup, or do you have tips to enhance the VR flight simulation experience? I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Edited by Motomouse
  • Like 2

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

Been using leap motion for the last couple of years and the 2.9 update made BIG leaps and strides, ED actually implemented nearly every feedback suggestion from the forums and it's become really good.

I use the leap hands mainly for forward controls (MFD/UFC) but for startup in the hind/ka50 there is feeling like flicking a row of toggle switches up sequentially 🙂

Just need the 3rd party devs to implement it!

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

9 minutes ago, A.F. said:

If you mainly fly the F 16, build a mockup of the panel. Cover this with soft foam. This will give you haptic feedback when you press a button on the MFD.
This is another massive increase in immersion.

I will try this with a quick cardboard mockup soon.

soon = now :-))))

That was fun! The card box my Aero arrived in had now to be the  imposter of the central keyboard unit and the border of my desk had to act as the lower row of buttons on the MFDs. Worked quite well, lol. It will be a nice project for my holidays to implement a more permanent solution 🙂 

For now another tip is to rest the arm against your legs or body while you manipulate controls with your virtual hand. I can not explain how this physical anchoring technique works exactly, but it gives a nice phantom sense and presence in the now less virtual environment 🙂

Edited by Motomouse

1 hour ago, Motomouse said:

Enhancing My VR Flight Sim Experience with Leap Motion on Varjo Aero

Introduction: I recently integrated the Leap Motion controller with my Varjo Aero, and I'm excited to share my experience and some helpful insights with the community.

Setup Challenges & Solutions: The first hurdle was the short USB cable that came with the Leap Motion. To fully utilize it with the HMD, a longer USB cable is essential. (USB 3.0 significantly improves tracking versus USB 2.0 tracking.)

F16 vs. F18 Experience: In my simulations, the Leap Motion truly shines in the F16 cockpit. The OpenXR touch points are more responsive and well-placed than in the F18. The side stick design in the F16 also makes accessing front controls easier, enhancing the experience.

Tracking Performance: OpenXR vs. Ultraleap: When it comes to tracking, I’ve found OpenXR tracking  (DCS VR Tab) to be superior to Ultraleap (DCS Special Tab) tracking, offering better touch points and fewer bugs.

Practical Usage: During flights, I primarily use hand tracking for front panel controls and MFDs. It's exceptionally immersive in the F16. For startup or side panel operations, I switch off VR hands with a HOTAS button and use a mouse positioned conveniently to my right.

Beyond Expectations: Initially skeptical, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Leap Motion. It's not just a novelty – it's an immersive addition to VR flying. It just amazing how easy and natural feeling it is, to push the MFD buttons with the virtual hand versus placing the mouse pointer over the button.

Your Thoughts? Have you tried a similar setup, or do you have tips to enhance the VR flight simulation experience? I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Which version of the leap controller are you using?  

Has anyone tried both version and version 2 with the same version of DCS?  is it worthwhile to buy version 2 if you already have the orginal version?

If you're buying new get the 2, if you're a skinflint like me then get the 1 cheap on ebay 😄
On the whole the 1 has sufficient tracking envelope for most of the controls that I need to access in DCS, some are difficult to manipulate (due to tracking occulsion or physical constraints of the desk/walls) and for those the head slaved cursor comes into play.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

• 1 month later...

Afternoon all,

I have the Varjo Aero and just purchased the leap2, I am struggling to find info on 3d printed mount files and best mounted position on the Aero for the tracker…. All I’m finding is for XR4…

Anyone got pics/3d files etc..

Cheers…

Edited by Dangermouseb51

Dangermouse

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If it were the leap 1 I could have given you an stl for either top or bottom mount 🙂
Have you checked the ultraleap website, they had a mount you could download for the original leap, would be suprised if there isn't something similar available.  Failing that, 3M VHB works nicely.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 5:37 AM, Dangermouseb51 said:

Afternoon all,

I have the Varjo Aero and just purchased the leap2, I am struggling to find info on 3d printed mount files and best mounted position on the Aero for the tracker…. All I’m finding is for XR4…

Anyone got pics/3d files etc..

is there a reason why the mount made by leap wont work? or are you just preferring to make your own?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I think that's just a generic mount, not specifically design for the varjo xr4.

Not sure on best placement on the face plate so as to not obstruct the lighthouse tracking sensors.

If you can accurately measure (to 0.5mm or so) the leap motion 2 sensor then I may be able to modify my design to suit and send you and stl.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 7:20 AM, Dangermouseb51 said:

ngreeaway,

If you can point where this mount is, all I can find on their website is for XR Headset Mount ???????

Thanks..

i think its a universal mount. i stuck it on the front of my reverb g2 without issue. the mounting bit is slightly flexible to allow it to match whatever radius the front of your headset is to some extent

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE