Another 2.9 Vr Stuttering and performance drop and loading screen freeze and my tears....

Derrick006

Well...

My rig 

I7 12700KF

DDR4 80Go

RTX4090

Quest 2

DCS 2.9 MT and ST

DCS2.8 was perfect (smooth etc...)

since 2.9 :

Lots of stuttering (especially over cities), freeze during loading screens (need to modify core affinity to pass through).

no real impact of the settings. 

Quest set at 72Hz slider to the right

OTT 1.3 Pd, no asw, Link curvature Low, Bitrate 300, sharpening auto, resolution 3648.

Open XR just turbo mode on 

I tried EVERYTHING I found on the forum, in my mind also, even asked my wife to do something.... with no result

so please find attached my dcs log
if you can find something or at least contribute to data collecting to help for patching.

I m thinking about moving back to stable but i want to be able to fly the apache (don't know if available on stable.)

good luck ! 

dcs.log.old

I7 12700k RTX3080ti ddr4 80g Quest2 Winwing environnement !

Did you unparked your cores? You have 12700K so its obligatory for MT version now.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I don't think it's DCS, have you tried Virtual Desktop with VDXR? Get rid of all the Oculus and OpenXR tinkering before using it so it can't interfere. You should get very good results with DCS_mt.exe, 90 Hz, DCS pixel density setting 1.2, VD at godlike - HEVC 10-bit at 150 Mbps. Latest Nvidia driver with CUDA - Sysmem Fallback Policy -> Prefer No Sysmem Fallback.

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

2 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

I don't think it's DCS, have you tried Virtual Desktop with VDXR? Get rid of all the Oculus and OpenXR tinkering before using it so it can't interfere. You should get very good results with DCS_mt.exe, 90 Hz, DCS pixel density setting 1.2, VD at godlike - HEVC 10-bit at 150 Mbps. Latest Nvidia driver with CUDA - Sysmem Fallback Policy -> Prefer No Sysmem Fallback.

I will think about it. But I have the feeling that I m not the only one suffering this kind of problem and it used to work great in 2.8.

what do you mean about sysmen fallback policy ? Never heard about that ? 
 thanks 

EDIT : can’t use VD as I use link cable as my wifi is bad in the room…

Edited by Derrick006

2 hours ago, RealDCSpilot said:

Is there a good guide to how to install Virtual Desktop with VDXR? I too have tried everything to address the horrible VR performance but none of it has worked... Quest 2...

Sorry, can't tell anything about Facebook headsets. I think i read somewhere about a recent Oculus update that ruined some of the functionalities. But with a Pico 4 you can basically connect the headset in three ways to Virtual Desktop on PC, wireless, USB 3 cable or Ethernet adapter. Some people use an extra Wifi-router dedicated for VR in the same room.

@Derrick006 With your hardware you should get performance similar to this (DCS graphics settings maxed, screen recording is 30fps only):

Edited by RealDCSpilot

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

It's the current maximum bitrate you can choose for HEVC @10-bit codec. Keep in mind that this is not 1:1 comparable to the bitrate of the h.264 codec. HEVC is a much newer and more efficient codec, plus 10-bit means color depth of billions of colors (vs millions in h.264). Just a note: Virtual Desktop also makes use of the 2 encoder chips of your 4090, so that one encoder works on the stream for one eye (sliced encoding).
The good thing about the 150 bitrate is also that you can get away with a Wifi 5 router directly connected to your PC in your room, it's more than enough to run best quality for wireless VR in your situation.

Today another bad news I burnt a lens of my quest 2 as I put it on the table the sun passed over it…..😤 

i can see that you have a pico 4 are you happy with it ? 
i also need to buy new cpl mine are blocked at 100m…. So VD doesn’t work properly as far I. Tried today 

Well i did what you explained me.

i have to say that the result is almost perfect.

i still have some spike coming from the network.

any idea ?! Thanks 

- do I have to type the force VR in the dcs shortcut ?! 

at least now I can. Play dcs 

Edited by Derrick006

I think 2.9 has brought stuttering and lag spikes . Even more so for VR . I've noticed fps drop and multiplayer lag . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

I was also getting these strange and new (for me) spikes, stutters and lags with sometimes freezing completely. This began about a week ago. I went through everything from cpu cores, gpu settings to general windows background processes. 
I am on a pico 4 with amd7900 xtx. 
The culprit for me was VDXR. As soon as I reverted to steamvr everything cleared up. Just did some tests now using h264 with 400mbps, godlike settings in pico and msaa x2 with no upscaling. Everything ran perfectly and looks beautiful again. All is very smooth and even all microstutters are gone. I loaded plenty of other assets to push things a bit and it was rock solid. 

Edited by TED

13 hours ago, TED said:

I was also getting these strange and new (for me) spikes, stutters and lags with sometimes freezing completely. This began about a week ago. I went through everything from cpu cores, gpu settings to general windows background processes. 
I am on a pico 4 with amd7900 xtx. 
The culprit for me was VDXR. As soon as I reverted to steamvr everything cleared up. Just did some tests now using h264 with 400mbps, godlike settings in pico and msaa x2 with no upscaling. Everything ran perfectly and looks beautiful again. All is very smooth and even all microstutters are gone. I loaded plenty of other assets to push things a bit and it was rock solid. 

In single player or multiplayer. 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

13 hours ago, Notarobot said:

Why should we 'unpark' cores manually? 
Does windows not recognise DCS as a program that needs cores? ?

No I think the new 2.9 is nerfed. All my memory is maxed out on multiplayer. Something not right. 

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

It seems my stutters and laga are back, so it's not vdxr related. It's same with both vdxr and steamvr. 

Graphics setting don't seem to affect much. I lowered a lot of things and still get these lags every few minutes. It all began around a work ago and I'm at a total loss so far what is causing this but seems to be related to the latest update for me. I'll keep investigating and hopefully come up with some better ideas.

• 2 months later...
On 11/27/2023 at 2:29 PM, TED said:

It seems my stutters and laga are back, so it's not vdxr related. It's same with both vdxr and steamvr. 

Graphics setting don't seem to affect much. I lowered a lot of things and still get these lags every few minutes. It all began around a work ago and I'm at a total loss so far what is causing this but seems to be related to the latest update for me. I'll keep investigating and hopefully come up with some better ideas.

Hi, have you found a solution? I'm trying to make it working fine (quest 3, virtual desktop) but I can't. VDXR has awful stutters when I do roll and move my head and steam vr seems to be smooth but (ofc...) head positioning is broken, it shakes when moving my head.

2 hours ago, MarcinQ said:

Hi, have you found a solution? I'm trying to make it working fine (quest 3, virtual desktop) but I can't. VDXR has awful stutters when I do roll and move my head and steam vr seems to be smooth but (ofc...) head positioning is broken, it shakes when moving my head.

Ooh this was a while back now. I managed to get rid of pretty much all stutters after last update. 

I did a couple of other things that may or may not have helped. I cleared out a lot of mods and started again with adding only what I needed. I installed QVFR. I upped my RAM from 32 to 64gb. It seemed like in the previous release it was metashaders that was causing some problems. If I deleted them before starting things were way better. I increased all dcs settings now to max and in this case increasing the distance rendering seemed to actually reduce stutters. 

Finally I uninstalled openxr toolkit. That seemed for me to fox some things immediately. 

Either way now as of Feb 2024 everything runs very smoothly again although I can't say 100% for sure exactly what the cause or solution was unfortunately. 

Edited by TED

19 hours ago, TED said:

Ooh this was a while back now. I managed to get rid of pretty much all stutters after last update. 

I did a couple of other things that may or may not have helped. I cleared out a lot of mods and started again with adding only what I needed. I installed QVFR. I upped my RAM from 32 to 64gb. It seemed like in the previous release it was metashaders that was causing some problems. If I deleted them before starting things were way better. I increased all dcs settings now to max and in this case increasing the distance rendering seemed to actually reduce stutters. 

Finally I uninstalled openxr toolkit. That seemed for me to fox some things immediately. 

Either way now as of Feb 2024 everything runs very smoothly again although I can't say 100% for sure exactly what the cause or solution was unfortunately. 

Thanks. Unfortunately nothing works for me despite having i9 12900k, rtx 4090 and wifi 6E router.

Hi, one thing I am trialing at the moment is setting the Oculus client Render Resolution to 0.9.

I then just ramped up the Pixel Density in DCS until the ASW kicks in constantly then backed it off a bit. Currently I am sitting at 1.9 for my PD in DCS. I have a Quest 3 using the link cable to a AMD 5900x with a 4090 PC.

i have also used Process Lasso to put DCS on my last 12 threads and the Oculus services etc on the first 12 threads and set them both to High priority.

It seems to be going quite well for me at the moment.

Edited by DropKick

On 2/6/2024 at 11:26 AM, MarcinQ said:

Thanks. Unfortunately nothing works for me despite having i9 12900k, rtx 4090 and wifi 6E router.

Did u try experimenting with different codecs? I found for me h264+ works best. I ramp up the bitrate to max no problem. Are u using oxr toolkit? Try disabling that too if u r. 

9 minutes ago, TED said:

Did u try experimenting with different codecs? I found for me h264+ works best. I ramp up the bitrate to max no problem. Are u using oxr toolkit? Try disabling that too if u r. 

Yes, I tried a whole spectrum of settings, different codecs, different bitrates, different graphic settings. I don't use oxr toolkit. The thing is when I play other games, such as beamng in vr or assetto corsa then it works great. I have problems only with dcs. I tried clean installation, removing files from metashaders and fxo folders. For some reason it just doesn't want to work good for me. I pumped dcs and virtual desktop .exes in process lasso but it didn't seem to make any difference. With VDXR fps is pretty good until I do rolls and see the terrain, then I have stutters, freezes, with reprojection on/auto/off, textures to low/medium/high etc.

15 hours ago, MarcinQ said:

Yes, I tried a whole spectrum of settings, different codecs, different bitrates, different graphic settings. I don't use oxr toolkit. The thing is when I play other games, such as beamng in vr or assetto corsa then it works great. I have problems only with dcs. I tried clean installation, removing files from metashaders and fxo folders. For some reason it just doesn't want to work good for me. I pumped dcs and virtual desktop .exes in process lasso but it didn't seem to make any difference. With VDXR fps is pretty good until I do rolls and see the terrain, then I have stutters, freezes, with reprojection on/auto/off, textures to low/medium/high etc.

When u r in game have you tried looking at the task manager performance graphics to see what is maxing out and throttling performance. Following that, u might get a better idea of where to investigate further.