TeTeT's Vietnam War Vessels

TeTeT

I`ve just tried the updated BHR, A4 on either forward cat seems to nose dive half way down and trashes the landing gear.  Sometimes end up in the sea, other times I launch but the gear is half retracted and will neither raise or lower.  OK on the previous version.

GE Wings2.jpg           AMD Ryzen 5, 16 GB DDR4, AMD XFX Radeon RX590 8GB, 27" curved Samsung monitor.

2 hours ago, Chicki said:

Gonna need this when the F-4 comes out.  Thanks!

Not to ruin the fun, but the F-4 squadrons did not operate out of Essex carriers. They were considerably smaller than the Midway and Forrestal class carriers and usually relied on F-8 and A-4. However, I saw at least two F-4 pictures on Bon Homme Richard - so landing and launching was certainly possible to some extent. Maybe not with a full combat worthy loadout though.

Cheers,
TeTeT

16 minutes ago, TeTeT said:

Not to ruin the fun, but the F-4 squadrons did not operate out of Essex carriers. They were considerably smaller than the Midway and Forrestal class carriers and usually relied on F-8 and A-4. However, I saw at least two F-4 pictures on Bon Homme Richard - so landing and launching was certainly possible to some extent. Maybe not with a full combat worthy loadout though.

Cheers,
TeTeT

The those old planes don't even hook up to the cat the same way.  Pretty sure F-4's had launch bars.  A-4's and F-8's had some kind of slingshot shaped thingy iirc.

44 minutes ago, TeTeT said:

@SickSidewinder9 I d/l your mission and the carrier was moving with the specified 22 km/h:

image.png

IDK what happened.  It was after I was flying for a bit.  Did I do something wrong in the editor?  Maybe everything needs to be set up to ignore stuff.  I did use time compression at one point.  maybe that is what made everything wonky.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

6 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

The those old planes don't even hook up to the cat the same way.  Pretty sure F-4's had launch bars.  A-4's and F-8's had some kind of slingshot shaped thingy iirc.

IDK what happened.  It was after I was flying for a bit.  Did I do something wrong in the editor?  Maybe everything needs to be set up to ignore stuff.  I did use time compression at one point.  maybe that is what made everything wonky.

You are right, the VSN F-4B depicts a bridle system, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_catapult#Bridle_catchers . I don't know exactly when the new system was introduced, might be 1980ies? Anyway, DCS does not natively seem to support the bridle system, so I went with the newer catapult shuttle.

I use time compression all the time in my testing and the CVA-31 has so far faithfully followed my waypoint. But I admit it's only one mission for real I'm testing with, adjusted for a multitude of plane types... 

[EDIT]: Maybe it's a mod conflict?

Edited by TeTeT
add reason for non working mission on Sidewinder's system

2 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

Maybe?  Anyone else running this with other carriers?  I've got the Melbourne and maybe something else.

Still shouldn't be seeing bda in the stats.  That means there's some kind of damage, in this case, from collision.

Weird.

I have the Melbourne as well, didn't see any problems with that. On the bda in the stats, I heard it's a common problem, not unique to Bon Homme Richard. I will try to simplify the flight deck collision shell further, maybe that will help.

went a did a landing at takeoff at Khasab and lo and behold the carrier is turning again.  Did I do something wrong in the editor?  It took me a few tries to land, since i'm not great in the a4.  Is it trying to follow the relief tanker?  does it think I hurt it so it wants to run away?  Come back, little Dickie, I want to catch your wire!

image.png

vor 55 Minuten schrieb SickSidewinder9:

went a did a landing at takeoff at Khasab and lo and behold the carrier is turning again.  Did I do something wrong in the editor?  It took me a few tries to land, since i'm not great in the a4.  Is it trying to follow the relief tanker?  does it think I hurt it so it wants to run away?  Come back, little Dickie, I want to catch your wire!

You mean the carrier is running a full circle instead steaming to NNW?
There was a bug that the carrier is making full circle at slow speed. I do not know if this bug is already solved and also 11 knots should be fast enough.

1 hour ago, buur said:

You mean the carrier is running a full circle instead steaming to NNW?
There was a bug that the carrier is making full circle at slow speed. I do not know if this bug is already solved and also 11 knots should be fast enough.

game bug that covers all carriers?  And yeah, I set it to 12 knots since I figured that might be a realistic speed for one of those old guys.  Or did/do they speed up for flight ops?  I heard something about F-8's needing it back in the day, but I just mean in general.

More importantly, I also figured it would make practicing with the A-4 a bit easier.

Edited by SickSidewinder9

1 hour ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

game bug that covers all carriers?  And yeah, I set it to 12 knots since I figured that might be a realistic speed for one of those old guys.  Or did/do they speed up for flight ops?  I heard something about F-8's needing it back in the day, but I just mean in general.

To the best of my knowledge on Dixie and Yankee stations in the South China Sea before Vietnam, the carriers would do 12 hour shifts, followed by 12 hour stand-down. During the flight ops the carriers will sail into the wind at a considerable speed, probably higher than those 22km/h. In my tests I use 50 km/h as speed. After the 12 hour period the carrier will be refueled (oil) and rearmed, basically crawling to a halt with the support vessels surrounding it. Note that during flight ops I don't think the oiler/support ships have any chance to stay in formation.

If you don't mind reading up on this: https://www.history.navy.mil/research/library/online-reading-room/title-list-alphabetically/c/command-control-air-operations.html :

During cyclic operations, a carrier would launch and recover 25 to 40 aircraft every hour and a half during its twelve-hour assigned period of flight operations, conducting eight cycles or events during each flying day. 

The entire logistics support operation was a model of efficiency. The underway replenishment groups, known as URGs, operated as task groups in the Gulf of Tonkin and consisted of an ammunition ship, a fleet oiler, and one or more store ships which carried a variety of consumables. Each carrier replenished virtually every twenty-four hours from at least one of the ships in the URG: from an oiler to top-off ship and aviation fuel, from an ammunition ship to fill the magazines, and from a store ship to take on food or replacement parts.

12 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

More importantly, I also figured it would make practicing with the A-4 a bit easier.

Carriers would/do turn into the wind and speed up to a calculated rate of knots to conduct landings.   Without going into all the variables a higher boat speed allows for a net "slower" wheel speed of the aircraft at touch down. 

When I set up landing practice mission I enter a combined boat speed and wind speed of somewhere around 30 knots.  I will also check the aircraft weight.  For the A-4 I add empty tanks for the visual aspect and set the fuel load around the 25-30% mark.   After that I will either bolter or hit the ramp because the game hates me.

Details such as allowable aircraft weight for landing, individual aircraft AOA, flap settings, added lift due to wind speed across the deck, time allowed for landing cycles, marshall patterns, wire settings, boat maximum allowable speed, etc. all go into the operations planning and procedures and each aircraft has either small or large differences in the procedures.  But dealing with all that is the fun part of DCS.

seabat  

And another update is out: https://github.com/tspindler-cms/tetet-vwv/releases

Changelog

Bon Homme Richard
    - New TACAN pos, updated secondary and primary flight deck textures
    - Fix broken collision shell, better wake (kudos seabat)
    - Improvement to damage model by Joey45
    - Fix floating door, update README

Most noteworthy are the new deck textures by ColeMinor, and the fire damage and better deck protection by Joey45.

The F-4B still loses it's nose gear upon cat launch, reason unknown.

Enjoy,
TeTeT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, TeTeT said:

And another update is out: https://github.com/tspindler-cms/tetet-vwv/releases

Changelog

Bon Homme Richard
    - New TACAN pos, updated secondary and primary flight deck textures
    - Fix broken collision shell, better wake (kudos seabat)
    - Improvement to damage model by Joey45
    - Fix floating door, update README

Most noteworthy are the new deck textures by ColeMinor, and the fire damage and better deck protection by Joey45.

The F-4B still loses it's nose gear upon cat launch, reason unknown.

Enjoy,
TeTeT

Maybe that'll fix it.  Swapped the BHR for the Forrestal and didn't have any trouble, so it's not a game bug.

4 hours ago, SickSidewinder9 said:

Maybe that'll fix it.  Swapped the BHR for the Forrestal and didn't have any trouble, so it's not a game bug.

Very weird. The mission you posted worked for me without a hitch, though I only tried it once. Maybe something in your install interferes, or it's just a chance game?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TeTeT said:

Very weird. The mission you posted worked for me without a hitch, though I only tried it once. Maybe something in your install interferes, or it's just a chance game?

Might wanna update the link in the OP.  Maybe just link to the releases section?  Last time I checked it, it was 2 versions old.  So maybe I just downloaded the same old version.  Haven't played with the new one yet.