Varjo XR-4 - Feedback

zildac

Not expecting many people to shell out for one of these, but it would be good to get feedback from those that have or will. Looks like pre Xmas delivery is possible for corporates, with general user availability early 2024.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 1 month later...

From what I see it could definately be nice for the guys with the real simpits to run the augmented reality, if it would become available somehow for DCS, or if the Varjo software would take care of it somehow. I would like the wider FOV and if there would be a better performance in relation to the Aero.. But I guess we have to wait for the next Aero version.

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

• 2 months later...

Well, it's looking like it'll be the only option from Varjo. Aero's appear to be sold out at the moment, so I guess Pimax is the only one playing in this arena until the XR-4 comes out (and who knows what the price will be).

I currently have the Aero and am still quite happy with it but I am just now starting to think about what comes next for me (onwards and upwards).

1) The XR-4 seems a logical next choice (I am on the list). When I last talked to a Varjo rep a few months ago he said there would be 2 software updates (February and March) that would make it fully compatible with the software that I use (Flight and Racing). The first of those did come out and hopefully the second is about to. Then it will be a matter of timing for the release.

2) Somnium VR1 is still in consideration but it is not out yet (soon) and I still do not have enough information to make any final decisions on it. I wish them well and I am hoping the end result is good.

3) I believe the current Pimax Crystal is good from everything I have read but I don't think it is a big enough jump from what I already have. However it will be worthwhile to see what they come up with next and in what time frame. 

Any other up and comers people are thinking about?

I'm thinking/hoping the PIMAX crystal is the first PIMAX product that will be win/win for the company and the user.  Most are happy with it's technical capability and it's at a price point that's (almost) realistic for a serious simmer.

I'm hoping they improve the view angle and resolution marginally, and make it lighter with fans.  If they can do that for roughly the same price, I'll jump in.

A next gen Aero would be a better product most likely but the cost may be prohibitive.