Joystick recommendation

Dear Friends

I would like to change to a new joystick. Unfortunately I cannot afford an X52 or so, I have to stay a bit lower pricewise speaking.

I am currently looking at Saitek Cyborg X. What do you think? Can you recommend? Or have you another idea? We should stay within around 60 - 70 USD if possible.

Thanks for your ever so helpful input!

Cheers Merlin

Haven't tested the X myself, but I am quite happy with my Cyborg Evo Force. Drawback in the Evo Force though is that it's FFB doesn't work well with Black Shark, and I don't know if that holds true for the X as well. Personally I find that no worse than a very very minor annoyance though.

I do like the double throttle levers on the X, and would definitely be thinking of getting one if I regularly played any twin-engine aircraft sims. (Closest over the last couple of years would be the Bf-110 campaign I flew in IL-2 a couple years back, and of course LOMAC:FC) You won't be using that feature in Black Shark, but on the other hand the Hog is a twin-engine and it's the next module coming for DCS.

So in that price class I think it's probably a good stick to go for. Do make sure to check out some reviews and such though, if you haven't already.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Dear Friends

I would like to change to a new joystick. Unfortunately I cannot afford an X52 or so, I have to stay a bit lower pricewise speaking.

I am currently looking at Saitek Cyborg X. What do you think? Can you recommend? Or have you another idea? We should stay within around 60 - 70 USD if possible.

Thanks for your ever so helpful input!

Cheers Merlin

I have bought Cyborg X two months ago and it's definitely a top-notch joystick. It's been quite accurate(I can say on par with my MSFFB2 and better than default X-52), and buttons are smartly placed. Two big throttles come in handy especially in sims like IL-2. Trim wheel is a handy addition as well. It's like a miniature HOTAS.

My only gripe is that the part that seperates stick from the base(after springs) is a bit loose, and therefore stick moves forward and backward(wobble) without moving the base. It's a bit hard to describe. I haven't been giving much attention to it before, but now it started to annoy me a little. I'm thinking of some mods to solve it :)

I would go with $24.00 Logictech Extreme 3D Pro(half the cost of that goddy looking Cyborg X):joystick:; that way you don't have to fuss with extra crap components like separate throttle and rudder controls that end up just being in the way of everything else. Plus you are not in a real cockpit environment so there is no sense in spending money on a full blown setup that is a waste of money to begin with.

Get it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826102204

50510.jpg

Edited by Zakk

Gigabyte|Q6600|8GB DDR3|GTX285|Win7 64|X-65

I have an Extreme 3D Pro which I used before a friend gave me his X52. The 3D Pro is definitely a nice stick, but I think for helicopters, those little throttles is just too darn sensitive (I've found it's pretty important with the choppers to be able to make TINY adjustments to the collective, which isn't easy with those on-joystick throttles). It's great for aircraft though; I used it with IL-2 quite successfully. If you can't afford a HOTAS like the X52, it's a nice alternative.

I just thought I might add that I also use the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (long name for something that isn't really "extreme" ;))

It works just perfectly for Black Shark IMO. I've put together a small config for it as well, available somewhere on this forum after a quick search =)

Before anyone asks:

I've used it very successfully for a whole lot of games, including but not limited to:

Freespace

Lock On

DCS Black Shark (obviously =p)

IL-2 Sturmovik series

Flight Simulator series

and a whole lot of other flightsim games

I remember when buying it many many years ago that it had recieved a lot of critique to the quality of build, but I've used it for several years and it has always worked perfectly.

Edited by Boulund

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

First of all: Many thanks for your kind answers!

It's therefore either Cyborg X or Logi Extreme 3D Pro! I currently have the Logi Wingman Extreme and also a logi Gamepad. Both give me some troubles with the drivers (I think). I always have to re-calibrate my joystick almost everytime I fly FSX or BS or it goes wild (over-sensitive). The gamepad always had a left-tendency nevertheless how I calibrated it.

This and the real tiny throttle-lever were pointing for me towards Cyborg X... And Saitek really is a good name, no? (OK, I'm Swiss - I should by Logi I know :-)

If anyone has anything to ad in favour of one of the two, please shoot - I'm not buying before Saturday - we still have all options open!

Thanks again dear friends,

Merlin

Both give me some troubles with the drivers (I think). I always have to re-calibrate my joystick almost everytime I fly FSX or BS or it goes wild (over-sensitive).Merlin

The 3D Pro is pretty darn sensitive for flying. It took some practice to only move it a little in each direction. Then it took much more practice to break that habit, once I got the X52, to deal with having to move the stick further from center to get the same results. In that way, actually, I still prefer the 3D Pro.

The 3D Pro is pretty darn sensitive for flying. It took some practice to only move it a little in each direction. Then it took much more practice to break that habit, once I got the X52, to deal with having to move the stick further from center to get the same results. In that way, actually, I still prefer the 3D Pro.

Actually I felt a bit of that as well when I started flying Black Shark.

But installed the latest drivers (never bothered with the drivers before) and the small utility and changed the sensitivity down a couple of notches and now it's IMO very nice.

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

Actually I felt a bit of that as well when I started flying Black Shark.

But installed the latest drivers (never bothered with the drivers before) and the small utility and changed the sensitivity down a couple of notches and now it's IMO very nice.

Until your post convinced me to look again just now, I never noticed those little sensitivity notches on the Deadzones tab. Sorta inconspicuous, and no label to point out they're even there! I dialed X and Y down quite a bit, and I'm gonna go test it out right now. I bet it'll be just the ticket, thanks! :thumbup: