FW190A8 Cockpit Textures Mod

Veteran66

Finally had a chance to fly a bit yesterday. Not sure how I feel about factory-fresh-black faces of the instruments. They show a lots of contrast agains panels, especially the trim indicator. They tend to look a bit lighter on photos, albeit it might just be a question of reflections in real life vs lighting and shading limitations of DCS gfx engine. 

Other than that, not being a rivet-counter and RLM colours expert I like that mod a lot already and will certainly spend more time with it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this cockpit mod and will use it going forward. But I also like the REVI mod I've been using for 4 years now.
I think Pato created it. Unfortunately he is no longer available and I just hope his REVI16 will not be killed by an update any time soon.
It might not be realistic, but what the hell, I want to enjoy this game.Screen_231219_165206.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Gunsight mod changes only REVI-16B.tga file, so we can still use it with this cockpit retexture, or Massun92's one.

Unless they decide to hardcode the cockpit textures some day, we should be fine.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Very nice work indeed! Only slight concern: the yellow part of the throttle lever shines a bit too bright when the sunlight hits it. I have Gamma set = 2.2

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Brand new cockpit repaints are perfectly usable IMO though I prefer slightly used look myself. Planes made for war were built and put on the front lines so why would you not have brand new planes? Just saying that it did happen.

"Its easy,place the pipper on target and bombs away." :pilotfly:

i7-8700k/GTX 1080ti/VKB-GladiatorPRO/VKB-T-rudder Pedals/Saitek X55 throttle

After some test flying, I decided to go back to v 1.0.

Partially, because of a bit more worn out look of it that I prefer (which I'd argue is more accurate judging from period photos), but also beacuse the darker, cleaner style of v 2.0, combined with how lighting and shading works in DCS, makes the cockpit look quite cartoonish in 2.0 (almost like in Il-2 GB). High contrast textures don't work well in DCS and it's visible on instrument screws, which in 2.0 look as if they were made of white plastic rather than aluminium.

Darker background also exacerbates reflection problem (caused by roughmet?) that shows on both horizontal panels, looking as if they were painted with gloss paint (RLM66 should be flat I think?). I'm talking about dynamic reflection shown on the screenshot below.

It's all subjective, of course and that's why I'd suggest keeping both versions up. Guys who like older look will use 1.0, while those who like newer one will go for 2.0.

Cheers!

Screen_231230_215108.jpg

Edited by Art-J

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good to me! The yellow surfaces on the throttle grip still seem canary-like in my cockpit, but that might be due to my graphics settings. You could probably spend the rest of your life trying to make it perfect for everybody. So I declare "I'm happy".

LeCuvier

13 hours ago, Veteran66 said:

@Art-J can you test it, i hope it fixes the wet texture issue.

It's still there to some extent, but honestly, it's visible only when panels are hidden in shadow, so it's not such a big deal really. Thanks for your efforts anyway!

Maybe time of day has an impact as well (I do these test flights in default Chanel cold start mission).

Screen_240113_224041.jpg

it's a great mod, although it's sad that it breaks the IC check.

For D9 there's a way to 'package' the cockpit into a 'mod' that is selectable via "Special" option as "custom cockpit", and it does not break any IC.

Is there such a thing for A8's?

Edited by peachmonkey
  • Like 1