Nozzle97

Hey everyone. I am another one of the unfortunate ones experiencing an exasperating issue with my performance in VR. I got a 4080 a few weeks ago to help with VR performance. Not only does my performance seem worse than my old 3070 (was running 45fps reprojection and 0.7 PD) but no matter what I do I cannot seem to find a solution. 

While in DCS I experience stutters consistently. The major symptom I am seeing is frametime spikes in the framerate monitor and every spike corresponds with a slight drop in FPS for a split second which results in dropped frames or something which I can visually see as as stutter. If I am looking around in particular I can see every stutter even though the actual frame rate remains high (90fps down to maybe 82). 

I've dropped my settings as low as they will go and even dropped my render resolution to 30%! Same issue albeit the stutters weren't as consistent but rather more random and "harder" if that makes sense. The symptoms vary in severity based on settings of course but the end result is the same. I see a stutter or stutterS in my headset and its driving me crazy. The worst part is when I am lucky and not actively getting stutters, even with moderate settings, my frame times and frame rate are rock solid at 90fps. I don't know what else to do at this point. I think I have tried everything. I'll put a list of things that I have tried so far as well as some screenshots of the frame counter. I know I am not the only one with similar issues but I am posting here to HOPEFULLY get one piece of advice from someone with a similar system or issue that has solved this. Thanks in advance. 

----------------------------------------

All the required uploads per the ED forums are attached... at the bottom.

---------------------------------------

System Specs:

i713700k - H150i AIO Cooler(great temps)

ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming WIFI MB

32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5600 XMP1 on

ROG Strix 4080 White OC

Samsung 980 pro NVME Windows drive

980 Pro DCS NVME SSD

850W ASUS ROG Strix Power Supply

Reverb G2 VR headset

Here are some screenshots of stutters and smooth operation alike. All in DCS MT

Smooth operation. Looks epic and smooth!!!!!

Screen_231211_184404.jpg

Stutters of a more consistent nature. This is in Syria but I was getting this same symptom in all the maps. 

Screen_231211_184351.jpg

Notice in this one that the performance is awesome very stable until I get spikes. These are different than the smaller spikes above but are "harder" and more visually jarring. Changing settings didn't make too much of a difference in getting these. YES I KNOW THIS IS IN THE AO and multiplayer plays a factor. Just needed the reference photo.

Screen_231208_194900.jpg

Again good performance most of the time then when looking around will get these single random stutters or a few here and there randomly.

Screen_231207_202008.jpg

Here these are some really nasty random ones. Mostly when looking around.

Screen_231130_215724.jpg

I hope this post accurately shows my symptoms with the screenshots. Here are some of the things I have tried so far.

-DDU drivers

-Low settings, DCS, Open XR Tools for WMR, etc.

-Motion reprojection - seems to alleviate some of the performance related stutters but still get quite a lot of stuttering especially those random "hard stutters". I am not a fan of the artifacting and ghosting caused my MR.

-Reinstall DCS completely. Saved games and the lot.

-Frame locking - causes issues with the VR headset it doesn't like that at all.

-Open XR Toolkit - Turbo mode on/off, FFR, motion reprojection

-Core affinity using Process Lasso - disabling E cores and even some P cores to avoid 100% usage

-Disable E cores completely in BIOS

-I even reseated my GPU!

-Slight overclock on GPU, MSI afterburner

-forced VR and Open XR

-DCS Single Thread seems to be different (???better???) in terms of stuttering but performance is overall less so I get less frames overall and that causes some micro stutters due to differing frame rates vs refresh rate of the VR headset.

Thanks again for reading all the way through and for any help!

NVCP.PNG

Settings.PNG

vr settings.PNG

WMR settings 1.PNG

dcs.log DxDiag.txt Stuters.trk

Try Max FPS 45 with DLSS Balanced.  Turn the Preload Radius way down.  Also, restore defaults in the Nvidia Control Panel just to keep that out of the equation.  Also disable OpenXR tools to keep that out of the mix.  And, always test with a canned mission (like free flight) as this is easiest to tell between settings changes.

Edited by Glide

1 hour ago, Glide said:

Try Max FPS 45 with DLSS Balanced.  Turn the Preload Radius way down.  Also, restore defaults in the Nvidia Control Panel just to keep that out of the equation.  Also disable OpenXR tools to keep that out of the mix.  And, always test with a canned mission (like free flight) as this is easiest to tell between settings changes.

I'll give the 45/DLSS a shot. How are you limiting frames? Just the built in limiter?

Already tried preload radius but will try again.

Nvidia is default except for prefer max perf which ill try with normal just for kicks.

I did did try before completely disabling Open XR toolkit AND Open XR Tools for WMR.

The Syria mission is the instant action F16 Free Flight for exactly that purpose.

Thanks for your reply.

• Like 1

The built in limiter is the only one that works.  The one in the Nvidia control panel doesn't work anymore. 

The goal is to get to a working baseline by simplifying the equation.  Once you get to smooth settings, change only one setting at a time between tests.  I'll post my settings for my 3080TI in a bit.

The Sinai map had a permanent stutter in it, so avoid that one for testing. 

Openxr, all defaults, no "prefer framerate over latency".

Openxr toolkit, just the FPS counter.

How are you connecting your G2?  Via the built in ports, or with a powered usb hub?

Screen_231211_215753.jpg

Edited by Glide

16 hours ago, Glide said:

Openxr, all defaults, no "prefer framerate over latency".

What about the "Use Latest preview OpenXR Runtime???

16 hours ago, Glide said:

How are you connecting your G2?  Via the built in ports, or with a powered usb hub?

DVI directly to the Graphics Card, and the USB-C to a 20GB/sec port in the rear of the mobo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nozzle97 said:

What about the "Use Latest preview OpenXR Runtime

That's what I use.  If you have good results with those settings try this: set Textures to Medium, Terrain Textures to Low, Headset to 60hz, and enable Motion Reprojection in OpenXR Best Framerate. Disable Nvidia Optical Flow.  If your 40 series card can maintain 60fps in a dogfight MR works pretty well with the F-16 and the AH-64D.  Staying above 60fps is key though.  Try it with TAA and DLAA.  I find MR doesn't work too well with scaling.

Edited by Glide

I would like to know if you all have a little blurry image in peripheral vision of Reverb G2? In other games it looks so sharpening like Assetto Corsa.

For example, I can't read the switches, knobs and buttons labels, I need to turn my head to the panel to centralize the view and focus.

PS: I purchased VR Rock lenses for astigmatism.

Best regards.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

14 hours ago, SilentSierra said:

blurry image in peripheral vision of Reverb G2?

Yes. The G2 is known to have a major sweet spot right in the middle. AFAIK there's nothing you can do about it. I have the same thing, its not a problem, if I wanna read something off to the side I gotta look straight at it. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GCDV31 said:

@Nozzle97do you fond a solution for stutters? I have same issue.

I asked some time ago about the low performance on Marianas and somebody answered that LOD (Level Of Detail) and Preload Radius affects the performance, even in high end PCs with VR.

Set LOD to 0.8, you will not see too much difference in graphics but it will increase the FPS.

This video Jabbers show an issue of memory in MT and how he solved.

Edited by SilentSierra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

5 hours ago, GCDV31 said:

Tank you for your help. I tried yours tips but I have still micro stuter like a spike. DCS and windows are on an SSD but not a good one. Is it possible it comes from the SSD?

Probably or not, because the HD/SSD is the slowest device in the process.
It can be a DCS MT problem also.
I have a fast SSD, but it can happen depending on the map, server, etc.

Edited by SilentSierra

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2023 at 5:05 AM, GCDV31 said:

@Nozzle97do you fond a solution for stutters? I have same issue.

Hey,

Not really but I did get closer to bearable performance by reducing my custom render scale to 90% in Open XR Tools for WMR. Seems obvious that if you render less resolution you would get better performance. Its not totally perfect but better.

2 hours ago, Nozzle97 said:

Hey,

Not really but I did get closer to bearable performance by reducing my custom render scale to 90% in Open XR Tools for WMR. Seems obvious that if you render less resolution you would get better performance. Its not totally perfect but better.

Well basically that is the KEY, I had found out long ago that with DCS it is best to reduce the Rez in the VR Headset. The best thing to do in VR IS maintain the FPS rate of your HZ rate, if that is not possible then reduction of Rez then if even still can not maintaing HIGH FPS best thing is to reduce the HZ rate as well.

I have butter smooth gaming in any server so far I usually play 4ya servers in Syria but I game at 40% and 60Hz and am able to maintain 60+FPS.. I think most issues stem from users thinking they can run 100% rez..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I also have the 4080 but with i9 14900kf 32gb. Windows 11.  I've noticed with the G2 in open xr runtime it's Resolution is like 3160x 3145 or so. On the headset settings in windows I put it on optimal performance and the rest default 90hz etc.Open XR render rez at 50% which drops the rez to like around 2160x2145. Then open xr toolkit I just turned turbo on rest default. PD on dcs 1.0. And with DLSS and for some reason if the sharpening wasn't all the way up I had frame drops...weird Nividia Control panel all default except shader cache 10gb, pre rendered frames 3.  Process lasso all e cores off and any p cores that sit at 100% off, power option to max. I get a solid 90fps, I mean solid.  When you see it drop to 72 then 84 then 90.  I delt with that this whole time until today.