Tips for flying formation with AI?

Go to solution Solved by Reflected,

I'm on Mission 2, and boy, that one's hard. I'm having trouble flying formation, particularly parade, in a safe way. Is there a trick to flying close formation with AI while it's turning, particularly the unannounced turns? I'm constantly worried Paco will suddenly turn into me, resulting in a crash. It seems that the AI is changing its bank relatively quickly and not giving me time to correct. It's bad enough with loose parade, but in close, it's ridiculous.

I suspect that part is much harder than IRL. From what I saw on airshows, formation rolls are generally done slowly enough that the wingman has the time to follow the wingtip. I know there's probably nothing that can be done here, because you can't clamp the roll rate for DCS AI, so I'm asking anyone who got through it, how do you deal with it?

• Like 1

• Solution

Yeah how fast the AI rolls is hard coded in DCS. I can't change it. TBH Paco suggested turns that are even harder, more bank angle. What I noticed is that in 2D, parade formation is really stretching it, always about to collide, but when I first tried in VR it was easier than cruise form in 2D

• Like 1

More bank angle would not be a problem if the roll rate was sensible. I have little trouble staying plugged with a tanker in a turn, and in the other Viper sim I tanked (in 2D) in much steeper turns. Of course, the tanker rolls are rather sedate, and in that other sim, it always warns you, then establishes a single roll rate and keeps it through the maneuver until it's at the desired bank angle. OTOH, matching a fast roll, even a relatively small one, requires large control inputs, and that's difficult to keep under control. I can't even imagine doing this in 2D.

I hope ED exposes some more parameters when GFM becomes a thing. Being able to specify max roll rate the AI would use would be great, I can see a few scenarios where it'd be of use.

Also, I don't suppose there's a chance of giving Paco a hi-vis scheme for this hop? 🙂 With a Reverb G2 I have trouble seeing that triangle on his side. Doesn't stop me from holding a formation (I use the RIO canopy bow as a reference instead), but it's harder to align precisely.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

In VR it's a little easier but once I get a "good job" in close parade and then Paco starts turning or climbing unannounced and i have to keep up with him, makes it much more difficult because he changes pitch too much. I still did not pass this one yet but I did notice staying somewhat close to him does not trigger the "you're too far" message where you have some wiggle room to correct and try to stay close until the grade pops up.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz