Improperly Scaled 3D Pilots (with comparison pics)

JG27_Arklight

The 3D Pilot figures seem to be out of scale (too small? or too short?) on the Apache. Hope this helps! I did my best get pics/screens that best presented what Im trying to show. 🙂

See below for reference pics:

Reality vs DCS 64pic3Headon2.jpg

Pilot seat height...they can barely see over the dash + look at the size of the real pilots compared to DCS

64pic3.jpg

Next up, look at the height and scale from reality vs DCS in this side view. Look at the height of the CP/G's helmet relative to the seat in reality as compared to DCS:

64pic1.jpg

45155637.jpg64pic2.jpg

Another few pictures from Reality vs DCS (side view):

64pic2sideview.jpg

64pic2sideview2.jpg

• Like 2

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

• ED Team

Hi JG27_Arklight, 

thank you for the post, I have spoken to the team and they are happy with the current sizes.

It should be noted that pilots are different sizes in real life also, and event things like helmet size can be different ( small to extra large ). Seat position can also be adjusted which can effect the look of the pilots position. 

best regards 

bignewy

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi JG27_Arklight, 

thank you for the post, I have spoken to the team and they are happy with the current sizes.

It should be noted that pilots are different sizes in real life also, and event things like helmet size can be different ( small to extra large ). Seat position can also be adjusted which can effect the look of the pilots position. 

best regards 

bignewy

Thanks for the response and for looking into it, Bignewy! 

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

• 3 weeks later...

The camera angle, focal point /zoom / lens size/depth of field etc also the height of the photo vs screenshot also plays into the equation.
try comparing from a lower angle as if someone was taking a picture. The pilots would look taller on the cockpit.

Made them look a bit taller from my pov.
F4 camera used . Mouse /track ir + [*] and [/]controls were used.
I know i am not a tall girl (1meter 59cm tall) but the apache is huge !! so the pilots! tried to calculate the average 1m80cm height of a tall person ( ground crew pov)
 image.png

• ED Team

Just some common sense into the mix. If I was an AH-64D pilot (or any other helicopter), I would privilege sight as best as I could, considering my "HUD" is already detached from the panel. So maybe while using the systems I would hunch down a bit, but I would certainly crank the seat all the way up to guarantee maximum visibility. Would the designer/manufacturer/instructors advise that? Probably not. But in the end, the seats aren't fixed and allow a customized position.

In a simulation, any simulation, you depict standards, though. Remember that. 

• Like 1

dcsvader.png
Esquadra 701 - DCS Portugal - Discord

3 hours ago, Lord Vader said:

Just some common sense into the mix. If I was an AH-64D pilot (or any other helicopter), I would privilege sight as best as I could, considering my "HUD" is already detached from the panel. So maybe while using the systems I would hunch down a bit, but I would certainly crank the seat all the way up to guarantee maximum visibility. Would the designer/manufacturer/instructors advise that? Probably not. But in the end, the seats aren't fixed and allow a customized position.

I understand, and its really the standards I've noticed. Literally every pic I've seen and found seems to be different than what we see in game. The figures just look....small. I actually haven't been able to find a picture that looks like what he have in game at all (I've searched high and low).

It caught my attention and I noticed some folks in another forum talking about it as well so thought I'd point it out. 

• Like 1

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

On 1/12/2024 at 6:20 AM, Lord Vader said:

As an actual 64 pilot I drop my seat down low for comfort. I raise the seat to the design eye position, and then I drop the seat down thereafter to make operating the collective easier, and to prioritize comfort. The helicopter is massively uncomfortable by default, you learn to work with limited visibility by leveraging manual stabilator and the pnvs during daylight hours.

• Like 4