dcs will no longer launch in vr. help?

dooom

hey all - i have used dcs in vr plenty over the last year and it was always working quite as expected.

Today i tried to launch using my VR shortcut (worked last week) and it keeps launching into a window in vr as opposed to a 3d space...  That is to say my headset is working ... i'm looking at my desktop window in the G2 and when i launch DCS in vr it opens in a small window that looks like the VR preview window (it has that shaded black "oval" outline etc)

I tried a skatezilla repair and it doesnt seem to help... any ideas?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

7 hours ago, dooom said:

hey all - i have used dcs in vr plenty over the last year and it was always working quite as expected.

Today i tried to launch using my VR shortcut (worked last week) and it keeps launching into a window in vr as opposed to a 3d space...  That is to say my headset is working ... i'm looking at my desktop window in the G2 and when i launch DCS in vr it opens in a small window that looks like the VR preview window (it has that shaded black "oval" outline etc)

check the shortcut. also maybe check the target line also

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

@The_Nephilim the file location is correct - its pointing to the bin-mt exe as expected.  My path is correct i think.. nothing changed there: "E:\DCS World OpenBeta\bin-mt\DCS.exe" --force_enable_VR --force_OpenXR  does that look right to you?

@Phantom711 WMR opens and i can see DCS launch into the 2D window on the wall of my WMR cliff house.

Very strange.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

@Phantom711 No sir.  I really only play DCS.  I think my boy played the forest a while back but I have successfully played in the huey since then.

I might just reinstall ... i really dont want to though.

23 minutes ago, dooom said:

@Phantom711 No sir.  I really only play DCS.  I think my boy played the forest a while back but I have successfully played in the huey since then.

I might just reinstall ... i really dont want to though.

How do you normally launch dcs. 

skatezilla or desktop icon.

Edited by freehand

i launch via desktop - usually i right click and run as admin.  I have two desktop icons - one with the vr properties and one just pointing at the multithread exe.

I had this recently - posted here about it, too. It just sorted itself out one time - no idea why or how it stopped starting VR and same why it decided to start in VR again - I changed nothing, but I did try lots of different things to no avail.

The response on the forum I got was that it's nothing new.

I remember having the same issue a year or two ago, as well.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Hi,

if the game is not starting in VR, it tries to use the wrong environment.

It looks like it wants to start in SteamVR, but your shortcut settings lead to OpenXR and with that it will only start in 2D.

Check your Steam VR settings, if set disable OpenXR runtime support.

Look at this link, second posting:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X3D, System-RAM: 64 GB DDR5, GPU: nVidia 4090, Monitor: LG 38" 3840*1600, VR-HMD: Pimax Crystal, OS: Windows 11Pro, 2*2TB Samsung M.2 SSD, HOTAS: TM Warthog, Paddles: MfG.

• ED Team
On 12/31/2023 at 11:33 PM, dooom said:

please attach your dcs log it might have some clues. 

Ensure you are using MT DCS and VR is enabled. 

Ensure the G2 is using the openXR runtime 

if all of that is done you should have no issues. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 months later...

its doing it again... it seemed to resolve on its own and now after a few months its doing it again.  I launch MT VR OpenXR like i always do and it opens in a window on my cliff house wall... the window looks like its in the 3d world though.. strange.  its like i'm looking at a 3d movie on the wall of the cliff house.

dcs.log

it soundslike you have bigscreen enabled or similar??

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Whenever I find myself looking at the 2D bigscreen rather than the true 3D DCS environment, I check the VR settings tab in the DCS menus on the opening screen and find the 'use VR headset' box unticked.

nope - nothing changed.... i checked.  dunno.  hopefully it will resolve on its own like last time